bit confused about eating back exercise cals????

Options
2»

Replies

• maurilax
    maurilax Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is fake unless you dont have fat to burn on your body. talk to your doctor if you are concerned about this

Also, you definitely should not eat back all of your calories from exercise if only for this reason.

lets say you work out for 1 hour and burn 500 calories,
    in that hour had you been sitting on your butt you may have still burned 50 -100 calories just from your body living.
    the site does not account for the difference so when you enter 500, you really only burned a net of 400 because the site already gives you those 100 calories in your daily total.

for this reason i tend to eat back about half of my exercise calories.

seems to work

Edit I didnt realize someone else already pointed this out. But it seems to get forgotten all of the time so its worth repeating.
  • shellyk33
    Options
    Hi there, I am confused too! I am not seeing any results and I think maybe I'm eating too much? MFP says to consume 1200 calories a day. If I go running and burn 400 calories, does that mean I can actually eat 1600 calories? Or should I still only consume the 1200? Ah! Sorry if I sound completely inept, but losing 7lbs is the most maddening thing ever! Thank you!
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is fake unless you dont have fat to burn on your body. talk to your doctor if you are concerned about this

Also, you definitely should not eat back all of your calories from exercise if only for this reason.

lets say you work out for 1 hour and burn 500 calories,
    in that hour had you been sitting on your butt you may have still burned 50 -100 calories just from your body living.
    the site does not account for the difference so when you enter 500, you really only burned a net of 400 because the site already gives you those 100 calories in your daily total.

for this reason i tend to eat back about half of my exercise calories.

seems to work

Edit I didnt realize someone else already pointed this out. But it seems to get forgotten all of the time so its worth repeating.

This guy gets it!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    With a 1000cal a day deficit, you'd have to really mess up your exercise calorie estimate to not lose weight.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    With a 1000cal a day deficit, you'd have to really mess up your exercise calorie estimate to not lose weight.

Agreed
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I don't know the research and I don't pretend to be an expert but I can tell you about my experiences.

First, I haven't exercised in a while but have been continuing to lose weight on diet and calorie counting alone.

When I was exercising I realized that I was losing weight faster when I ate my exercise calories back. The best answer that I got to why this is possible (I was firmly in the camp that believed if you cut more calories you would lose faster) is that MFP already provides the deficit in calories required to lose weight and if you exercise then your deficit may be so great that your body holds on to fat because it's not sure if there will be enough food in the future (starvation mode).

I ate the calories back and I lost more weight.

Starting at Thanksgiving (due to travelling and inability to really exercise) I upped my calories to only losing 1 lb per week (around 1480 calories). I lost 2 lbs over Thanksgiving and the week after. I was shocked. Well I dropped it back to the 2lb/week weight loss (1200 calories) and didn't lose much and even gained 1 lb after I missed my evening snack and was WAY under calories. I'm also in really lazy mode and not exercising!! This week I increased it back up to 1480 calories and I'm losing more than 1 lb/week already. It goes against everything I've ever been taught and have believed in but my scale isn't lying to me!!!!

Good luck figuring out the balance for you!!!
  • luinecuwen
    Options
    This is the way I understand it:

BMR x Daily Activity Level + Calories Burned During Exercise = Calories needed to maintain weight

For example: 1,500 x 1.2 + 500 = 2,300 daily caloric need

To lose 2 pounds per week, reduce your caloric intake by 1,000 calories

2,300 – 1,000 = 1,300 calories per day to lose weight

In this calculation, exercise calories are already factored in.

There is a BMR calculator on this site but it does not account for normal daily activity (ranges from 1.1 to 1.4 depending on your activity level - a google search will probably turn up a chart or something. I got mine from my Certified Fitness Trainer materials that I recently ordered).

The BMR calculators and the activity level factors are only estimates. Some people may find that they need to up their caloric intake a little and some people may find they need to lower it some (just don't go below 1,200). I've played around with my caloric level until I found what works for me. I use a heart rate monitor when I exercise to get a more accurate reading on the calories that I'm burning but, even then, I don't believe it is an exact number. Again, I just experimented until I found what works best for me now.

I spent several months not really paying attention to what I ate (my diet has been terrible - fast food and junk food - boo!) and as a result, I've gained a lot of weight even though I exercise at a high intensity level. I don't feel I've worked out unless I'm dripping with sweat :) I got lazy thinking that all the exercise I was doing was an excuse to eat whatever I wanted. I found out that it just doesn't work like that for me. I may not like it but reality is what it is. From this experience, I decided to go back to keeping a food and exercise diary. I was talking with a trainer at my gym and she told me about this site.

I've been tracking my calories and exercise for the past 2 and half weeks and have lost 5 pounds which is about right. I do not "eat back" the exercise calories that I burn. My thought is that if I find that I'm losing more than 2 pounds per week, I'll up my caloric intake a bit. If I'm not losing 2 pounds per week, I'll cut back on my calorie intake. I believe that keeping a diary is so important for this reason. You can tweak what you're doing as needed. I think that I sometimes fall into the trap of "one cookie won't hurt me" and before I know it, I've eaten the whole box. Keeping a diary keeps me accountable.

I do a circuit training/interval routine in the morning using body weight exercises (takes about 30 min) and I do 30 minutes of interval training on either the elliptical or treadmill in the evening. I use my heart rate monitor to ensure that I'm keeping my intensity level high and not just going through the motions. I do this 5 days per week. I'm two weeks into this plan and I like the results I'm getting.

What I've learned is that everyone has an opinion on what the best way is. I think you just have to experiment and find what works best for you.
  • ereidj
    Options
    Absolutely. Do not eat your exercise calories back. Starvation mode is mostly (not entirely, but mostly) a myth. If you're exercising vigorously, you're keeping your metabolism up, and that's the most important thing about exercise.

As a recent article posted here showed, exercise alone rarely gets people to lose weight. And most people (and most tools, MFP included) VASTLY overestimate the number of calories burned from exercise.

Eat at least 1200 calories a day, but don't eat back your exercise calories, you're just begging for trouble.
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I say, if you're hungry, eat them back. If you're not, don't. If you're in between, eat some back. The main thing is that at the end of the day, your net is under the goal set for your caloric deficiency. Then you're golden.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have been asking myself this S A M E question since I joined 10 days ago. If I am to eat approximately 1500 calories a day to lose 1/2 pound a week AND I put in my exercise, it adds back the calories!

Aren't we supposed to keep at 1500 AND lose calories by working out?

I am not sure how this works exactly?

great question!