Can workout videos like 30DS, HHA, BBL help you tone up?

Options
Hi all

Maybe another stupid question, but my town does not have a gym (well, the 'gym' has a couple of cardio machines but thats it) and so Ive opted to do a couple workout programs on my own at home. I feel like Im at the point right now where I need to do strength/toning exercises because my weight isnt budging and I dont have much left to lose, but my gym offers no strength equipment. If I do these workouts, will I tone up? Or is my only choice lifting weights :(

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Your only choice is to lift weights, the heavier the better.
  • trazrene
    Options
    I am on level 2, day 5 of 30DS and have lost 2 inches off my waist and 1 1/2 around my hips. The jiggle on the backs of my arms is considerably less and well as the cellulite dimples on the thighs. I would say wholeheartedly, Yes, they do work. Just be consistent and push yourself.
  • DaisyDucky
    DaisyDucky Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    BODYROCK.TV become a bodyrocker!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.bodyrock.tv
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Maybe another stupid question, but my town does not have a gym (well, the 'gym' has a couple of cardio machines but thats it) and so Ive opted to do a couple workout programs on my own at home. I feel like Im at the point right now where I need to do strength/toning exercises because my weight isnt budging and I dont have much left to lose, but my gym offers no strength equipment. If I do these workouts, will I tone up? Or is my only choice lifting weights :(

One of the guys on MFP explained in another thread that what we call "toning up" is a combination of hypertrophy (muscle increase) and fat loss (for those of us who need to lose the weight). So, if you want to "tone", you need to lift weights.

I can't remember who said it but I thought it was very helpful.
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Here is a good article on lifting weights for women: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/women/a/aa051601a.htm
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    They're a great start, but for me, I love lifting heavy.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    BODYROCK.TV become a bodyrocker!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.bodyrock.tv

This! I have a gym membership but haven't gone in a while, I have been bodyrocking for the past few months. I went to the gym Saturday and was able to lift double the weight then before I started bodyrocking! These workouts make a BIG difference!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    YES! They do work.... if you work them. BBL got rid of my saddle-bags, for example. I am a big fan of workout videos and I am a memeber of a gym. So go ahead, pick your favorite and work it!
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Yes they do help, but after some time the body gets used to that type of workout and you will need to start lifting weights :)
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I bought 30 day shred based on some resuts I have seen posted here. I do work out at a gym though including heavy weights 1-2 times a week with a trainer, so I just do 30 day shred when I can't get to gym. Les Mills is coming out with a home version of Body Pump which includes the weights/bar. I am not sure of the price but you can google it or look them up on facebook. I attend Body Pump at my gym regularly and love it.
  • holyguacamole37
    holyguacamole37 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm no fitness expert, but in my experience, absolutely yes!! I haven't done 30DS, but I've done some of Jillian's other videos (NMTZ) and she's all about body-weight training. She mixes cardio with strength exercises, so you burn fat AND build muscle at the same time.

I haven't done Hip Hop Abs, but I HAVE done Brazil Butt Lift and it was GREAT. It gives you a four-week plan, mixing up strength and cardio workouts daily - I definitely got muscle definition, even in my arms! And, besides walking three miles every other day, that was all I did for the four weeks and I lost 6 lbs. Definitely worth it. =)
  • holyguacamole37
    holyguacamole37 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Also, Brazil Butt Lift (as well as some of Jillian's workouts) utilizes hand weights, but it integrates it into the routine so it's not boring. =)