Exercises for inner thighs

mkath4
mkath4 Posts: 85 Member
I am looking for good exercises to reduce my inner thigh flab. Any good ideas? The little gym I go to does not have any machines for inner thighs.
Thanks

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    The "thigh machines" (abbductor/adductor) are worthless. Squats and lunges will tone your thighs. No machines necessary, just grab a barbell or dumbbells.
  • 1jeaniebeanie
    1jeaniebeanie Posts: 86 Member
    There is an aerobic show on Discovery Fitness called Gilad- Bodies in Motion... and he also has an intense Body Sculpt show too... I have never found inner thigh workouts that were as effective as his.

They are simple leg lifts, but when you hold your foot a certain way it really intensifies the burn.

Lay on your side head resting on your elbow, with your lower leg in front of you- lift your lower leg up and down repeatedly with a flexed foot- while trying to lead with your heel up with your toes facing more towards the ground. after about 20 of those,

In the same position while your leg is lifted... push your heel back and forth away from your body towards the sky... ouch...

Then stretch it out by pointing that same toe and lift your leg up and hold it and then relax...

Pilates also are good for the inner thigh. ballerina moves...

well- there's my two cents. lol :happy:
  • Lie on your back, knees bent, as if you were going to do crunches. Let your left knee fall out to the side then back up again, keep repeating up and down for a set of 12. Sounds easy, but the key is to also hold a hand-weight against the inside of the working thigh (I use 5 lbs) as you do this exercise and it provides extra resistance. You will feel it, believe me. Repeat this on the other side. My group fitness trainer has us do this exercise to work the adductor. Hope this helps :)
  • P.S. You won't spot reduce inner thigh flab, but you will work the adductor muscle :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Calorie deficit. Guaranteed to work, or your money back.
  • agthorn
    Calorie deficit will make your thighs smaller, but then you'll just have smaller flabby thighs. You need to lift weights if you want firm-looking thighs.
  • The Biggest Loser Workout 2 dvd, its all geared for thighs and legs.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Calorie deficit will make your thighs smaller, but then you'll just have smaller flabby thighs. You need to lift weights if you want firm-looking thighs.

Actually... once she loses the "flab", then they'll be lean muscular muscles. So the calorie deficit is still the best answer. Targeting the inner thigh with weights can eventually just make her legs look thicker.
  • agthorn

Actually... once she loses the "flab", then they'll be lean muscular muscles. So the calorie deficit is still the best answer. Targeting the inner thigh with weights can eventually just make her legs look thicker.
    I never said "target the inner thigh with weights." I said squats and lunges, which will work the entire leg proportionally and build firm, lean muscle (I hate the word "tone"). And if she's not lifting weights, then she's going to lose lean muscle along with fat in a calorie deficit alone.
  • AZTrailRunner

I never said "target the inner thigh with weights." I said squats and lunges, which will work the entire leg proportionally and build firm, lean muscle (I hate the word "tone"). And if she's not lifting weights, then she's going to lose lean muscle along with fat in a calorie deficit alone.

How can she lose fat (calorie deficit), and build muscle (calorie surplus) at the same time?
  • SUPER BUMP.
  • Here are some exercises that you dont need any machines for

Side Lunges

Wide leg squats

Lying leg lift - lay down on your side-cross top leg over bottom leg and let foot rest on floor-lift bottom leg up this will be a very small movement repete on other side

Hope this helps
  • agthorn
    How can she lose fat (calorie deficit), and build muscle (calorie surplus) at the same time?
    If she's never lifted heavy weights before (and most women haven't, usually out of fear of becoming "bulky"), and with a small deficit it's possible to do both initially. A lot? No. But she can build a little muscle and/or at least retain what's there through lifting, instead of just dieting away fat AND muscle and doing worthless exercises "targeting the inner thighs" (like the adductor/abductor machine some women seem to love so much).
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    My $0.02: Running.
  • AZTrailRunner
    If she's never lifted heavy weights before (and most women haven't, usually out of fear of becoming "bulky"), and with a small deficit it's possible to do both initially. A lot? No. But she can build a little muscle and/or at least retain what's there through lifting, instead of just dieting away fat AND muscle and doing worthless exercises "targeting the inner thighs" (like the adductor/abductor machine some women seem to love so much).

But how does one 'add' any form of mass when eating a deficit? It takes a surplus of calories to build mass. Science supports this.

We are in agreement that the hip adductor/abductor machine is often overused by women thinking they can spot reduce. Yes, she can firm the muscles and strengthen them by doing squats, DLs, and lunges, but without the fat-eating calorie deficit, she'll just be hiding those strong muscles under a layer of fat. I also agree, that she will lose some muscle-mass along the way, but we all suffer that when trying to lose weight.
  • AZTrailRunner

GENIUS, THIS LADY IS!!! :flowerforyou:
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member

GENIUS, THIS LADY IS!!! :flowerforyou:

*bowing several times* Thank you! Thank you very much!! (in my best Elvis impression)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    biking/running really took the inches off my thighs....squats/lunges as well. When I was training for my tri I rode about 20 miles a week and ran about 7 and in one month I dropped an inch off each thigh....Yep pants fit a whole lot different now.
  • agthorn

But how does one 'add' any form of mass when eating a deficit? It takes a surplus of calories to build mass. Science supports this.

We are in agreement that the hip adductor/abductor machine is often overused by women thinking they can spot reduce. Yes, she can firm the muscles and strengthen them by doing squats, DLs, and lunges, but without the fat-eating calorie deficit, she'll just be hiding those strong muscles under a layer of fat. I also agree, that she will lose some muscle-mass along the way, but we all suffer that when trying to lose weight.
    I disagree that you will never EVER build a single muscle cell while in ANY daily calorie deficit. Over the course of a day your body will certainly go through cycles of anabolism and catabolism. You won't be doing it as efficiently as compared to focusing on one or the other, and you will be heavily skewed to catabolism when you have larger calorie deficits (another thing too many women love). But seeing as how we don't even know if the OP is in a calorie deficit or not (she asked for exercise advice and another commenter said "calorie deficit") and didn't actually say anything about losing weight, but rather what I would consider "body recomposition" the argument has gotten kind of off topic anyways.
  • AZTrailRunner
    I disagree that you will never EVER build a single muscle cell while in ANY daily calorie deficit. Over the course of a day your body will certainly go through cycles of anabolism and catabolism. You won't be doing it as efficiently as compared to focusing on one or the other, and you will be heavily skewed to catabolism when you have larger calorie deficits (another thing too many women love). But seeing as how we don't even know if the OP is in a calorie deficit or not (she asked for exercise advice and another commenter said "calorie deficit") and didn't actually say anything about losing weight, but rather what I would consider "body recomposition" the argument has gotten kind of off topic anyways.

Fair enough. :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.