Do you have to cut carbs ....

Options
to lose weight? My endocrinologist wants me to eliminate carbs to lose weight. After years of yo-yo dieting, I just can't bring myself to restrict myself again. So my question to the group is, can you lose weight by counting calories and calories alone? Has anyone on the forum been successful with doing the plain old calories in-calories out method?

Replies

• Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    There are carbs in almost everything. Even with that said, I've limited myself from rice and pasta but not eliminated them. You want something you can stick with for the long term, eliminating whole food groups without an allergy seems excessive to me.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out carbs so i still eat rice, pasta, potatoes etc but i am eating less of them now that previously. I go by the portion size on the back of the pack now which appeared to be almost half what i was eating before. So i was really over eating them. I eat as much veg as i want without measuring for any other reason to not how much i'm having not to limit myself of them.

I tried cutting out rice and pasta before and i was just so hungry it was almost like i hadn't eaten anything. I'd never give them up.
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    No, you do not have to cut out carbs to lose weight. In fact, that seems to me that people that do, get stuck in the rut of yo-yo dieting. It's pretty much impossible to eliminate carbs totally anyways. Carbs are fine. This whole site is built around counting calories. Calories consumed < Calories used= Weight loss. That's the simple truth of it. The end.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    to lose weight? My endocrinologist wants me to eliminate carbs to lose weight. After years of yo-yo dieting, I just can't bring myself to restrict myself again. So my question to the group is, can you lose weight by counting calories and calories alone? Has anyone on the forum been successful with doing the plain old calories in-calories out method?

What is the reasoning? Do you have a physical condition that requires you to cut carbs to lose weight? If not, then there's no reason you should have to, though you have to restrict calories and you should try to eat healthy complex carbs more than simple carbs.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    No. There's nothing about carbs that hinder weight loss per se. However, in a calorie deficit protein and carbs are more beneficial, and the calories you cut have to come from somewhere.