OH. EM. GEE.

Options
Christmas is just around the corner. Of course, this is when I decide to embark on a weight loss journey. When levels of temptations are at their highest, when alcohol is flowing and where nuts and chocolate are practically mandatory, I decide it's *just* the right time to limit my calorie intake and spend a ridiculous time at the gym.

Can someone please give me a foolproof way to stay on track this party season, without spoiling *all* the fun? Unfortunately, j'adore le festive cocktails..

Replies

• lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    a little tip I have found is eat only what is not processed... so enjoy the meats, veggies, fruits... homemade treats...
    Stay away from chips, store bought trail mixes, chesses, chessy dips & fried stuff....
  • nhalger
    Options
    Right?! Oh my.. I just finished up teaching at an elementary school for the semester and they made me a huge back of lindt chocolate goodies.. i didn't even know there were so many kinds (I thought it was just the gold, red, and blue truffles.. NOPE).

I wish that holidays didn't count! All the lovely eggnog and martinis.. ugh.

.. sorry I did no help in answering your question! haha
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Lambeas is onto something! Great advice!
    Also, you can dabble in the treats, just be sure to keep portions in check and try your hardest to get those workouts in! Drinking LOTS of water will help too!

I just came back to this recently myself! So I feel your pain... only I'm loving the fact I've been eating clean this week having little to no desire to ruin my streak! I've been good! It all takes a little willpower, so take baby steps before you say no to it all at once!
  • byoml2013
    Options
    What makes my situation particularly challenging is that I live abroad, and am visiting home for the holidays. So: no access to my normal gym. Does that mean I have to forego my mum's home cooking and run in the *gasp* streets?! Uuuugh.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Not forego your mum's cooking, but Yep, get out there and run, or walk. Just get out there and burn, burn, burn. Enjoy the holidays and all of their yummy goodness, but in moderation. Make up for it by taking advantage of every way to burn it off. Get a head start, and continue to make up for it between Christmas and New Years. Then, just get on a plan and be consistent.
  • byoml2013
    Options
    Not forego your mum's cooking, but Yep, get out there and run, or walk. Just get out there and burn, burn, burn. Enjoy the holidays and all of their yummy goodness, but in moderation. Make up for it by taking advantage of every way to burn it off. Get a head start, and continue to make up for it between Christmas and New Years. Then, just get on a plan and be consistent.

Boooo...the words "eat what you want" and "it will all magically disappear in January" did not feature in that post..
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    This may or may not help.. I saw this post the other day and thought.. ya know.. I gotta think like this no matter what occasion arises. LOL

It will never be:
    easy
    perfect
    the right time

Nobody is going to:
    tell you exactly what to do
    drag you out of bed in the morning
    yell at you to eat healthy
    lift weights for you
    run a race for you

There will always be:
    holidays
    sick days
    sleepless nights
    early mornings
    vacations
    bad weather
    long days at the office

It will always be easier to:
    say no
    hit SNOOZE
    do nothing
    settle
    blame others
    make excuses
    give up
    say “I tried my best” when you really didn’t

Life is freaking tough - health, wealth, and happiness certainly don’t come easy.

For those reasons, you don’t need:
    The best equipment
    The best business plan
    The PERFECT workout program (it doesn’t exist)
    A super specific meal plan

And it’s okay to:
    not have all of the answers yet – NOBODY does
    not have your life completely figured out yet – NOBODY does
    get started and figure things out as you go

“Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are.”

Take action. Make changes.

You will make mistakes.

You know what’s NOT okay?
    to expect instant success and gratification
    to give up immediately when life doesn’t go your way
    to keep doing the same thing while expecting different results
    to coast through life while complaining about it
    to constantly wonder “what if” without ever finding out

Tomorrow never comes.

Eventually never happens.

Today.

Now.
  • kchabby76
    Options
    My motto is: Pinch today to enjoy tomorrow. As long as you have that deficit at the end of the week, no matter how you came about it, you'll be okay. Eat 1200 cals for 3 days in a row, so you have a few hundred extra cals for that special day. Exercising is mandatory and will add onto how many cals you can eat more! I really really pinch a couple of days so that I am not a slave to tracking my food on the weekends; it's been working wonders. :)
  • Tashafarassha
    Options
    You know what is fun for me. I love searching for awesome songs that will be fun to listen to. I also go shopping for cute workout outfits, and I also imagine that I will be this amazing salsera, "Salsa dancer" who can wow the crowd with my new found agility, because I am skinnier. That is my motivation.

This usually keeps me on track, well it has helped me recently. I guess the power of the mind is a huge tool that can be trained to stay on track. When you lose the power of the mind and go for the indulgence of a chemical 5 minute boost of endorphins, such as the rush of dopamine's that go to the head from a awesome bite of sugar, fat filled items!!! The size 2 dress or the bite. You choose..

I love the bite, and opt for the size 10, but then that mentality got me into a size 18/20..

If you are single, when you go home, look for the hot awesome dude who will work out with you... That is always another motivation for me. Just imagine the hot work out sessions you can have.. OOPS, I should not share my fantasy..

You're beautiful!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    My motto is: Pinch today to enjoy tomorrow. As long as you have that deficit at the end of the week, no matter how you came about it, you'll be okay. Eat 1200 cals for 3 days in a row, so you have a few hundred extra cals for that special day. Exercising is mandatory and will add onto how many cals you can eat more! I really really pinch a couple of days so that I am not a slave to tracking my food on the weekends; it's been working wonders. :)

You can do that!?? ... they need a "shocked" smiley!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 'pincher'. Go hard for a couple of days so that the splurge isn't so drastic.

Also, look up the foods that you're going to be eating and know how many calories they are. Indulge in a little of everything, as long as you're aware what you're putting into you body.

The words 'magically disappear in January' will never appear in a post!!! But the words 'work your butt off in January' will. By eating whatever you like over this period, you'll set yourself back a few weeks, so you just need to ask yourself if it's worth it. In my case, I'm gonna say it definitely is!
  • sarahstolberg
    sarahstolberg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Does that mean I have to forego my mum's home cooking and run in the *gasp* streets?! Uuuugh.

What if you took your mom with you on a nice walk/jog? Great way to spend some time together! Then you are both benefiting from the exercise, and as a bonus you are not sitting around the table snacking while you chat.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Christmas is just around the corner. Of course, this is when I decide to embark on a weight loss journey. When levels of temptations are at their highest, when alcohol is flowing and where nuts and chocolate are practically mandatory, I decide it's *just* the right time to limit my calorie intake and spend a ridiculous time at the gym.

Can someone please give me a foolproof way to stay on track this party season, without spoiling *all* the fun? Unfortunately, j'adore le festive cocktails..

Don't look at it that way, look at it as getting a head start on the New Year's Resolution crowd.