I don't understand!

Options
I've lost 13lbs - since September. Awesome, yay me!

But when I measure myself, nothing has changed. At all.

How can 13lbs be gone from me (it's not water weight, it's consistent) but not be losing any inches?! I notice changes, my butt is rounder, my legs are looking different, my waist is getting more defined, but when I wrap the measuring tape around me it's exactly the same. I can't be THAT off on where to put the tape that I'm doing it in different spots each time and still coming up with the same numbers. What gives?!

Replies

• JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Anyone?
  • aliciajoy22
    Options
    There actually is a very good chance that you are measuring in a different area. As things shift, measuring yourself in the same place is difficult. You should map it on a picture of a body or in the same exact outfit so you know where to measure.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise program are you on? If you've also engaged in exercise during this time, the body's adaptive mechanism will have kicked in, and in all likelyhood you've increased your muscle mass, while losing some fat. 13 lbs and your body's preference to fat loss might not be showing up yet.......keep going your diong fine.
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    I do at least 3 hours of cardio a week, usually an hour of hot yoga and I try to do some strength once a week (but not very heavy or hard if I'm honest, just something.)

I don't get what you mean by use a picture to measure?
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I can never take my measurement to be accurate. I have lost 15 lbs but my measurments are the same when I check which is not true because Ive gone down 2 pant sizes.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you were a little overzealous in your measuring at the start? Holding the tape just a little too snugly to "see" a half inch less maybe?
    The time of day you measure can affect things, too. My waist will go up by 6cm over the course of the day depending on what I've eaten.
    Also, depending on your height, 13lbs, while an awesome effort, may take longer to show, as it will depend on how "spread out" that weight is.

It is extremely unlikely that you've built muscle like that in a) such a short time, and b) a caloric deficit. So it's probably not that.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It is also possible that you have lost weight internally, like between your organs. This is really really really good weight loss and will contribute to your over all health a lot. Congratulations if it's this. Just an idea.
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have no advice - just feelin ya - that would suck!
    of course - you know there has to be something "off" especially with such great weigh loss!
    are the clothes fitting looser at least?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many places are you measuring? It's possible you are losing where you aren't measuring. Like for me, I lose in the legs and arms first but I have also had some offsets with muscle growth. Now this can be difficult because you practically have to eat at maintenance calories and really push ST but it's possible.
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Are your clothes fitting better? Really I wouldn't worry about it, just keep at it!
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Clothes are definitely looser... the other day my favourite jeans fell off when I was walking from one room to the other with my hands full. :embarassed:

I had measured arms, bust, waist, hips, and thighs... I did it at the same time in the evening, same tape measure and my boyfriend made sure that it was level at the back and wasn't "cheating"-tight. And I did it against bare skin.

Guess I'll just have to keep waiting.
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It is also possible that you have lost weight internally, like between your organs. This is really really really good weight loss and will contribute to your over all health a lot. Congratulations if it's this. Just an idea.

Could surely be this. Visceral fat. In all honesty though, if clothes are looser, and you're feeling better, don't worry about it. You're doing what's right for your body. I don't think I've measured actual inches on my body since I started, but I know things are working out.
  • collyllama
    Options
    Lord, I know exactly what you mean. My husband was measuring me and some weeks I'd be up in inches... even though I was down two sizes!! But he was never measuring the same place!!!!!! ARGH. I finally gave up the measuring... just have motivation clothes that I try on every so often to see if they fit. This morning was one of those days... and it was a good one! My shirt I'd been wanting to wear but it was so tight it gapped in the front... FITS AND IS LOOSE! Anyway, that's what I do. :)
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have never actually measured myself. Not only have I lost 57 lbs since August, but I have lost 8 inches off my waist. My clothes fit better and I feel great. I would say if you are losing weight and your clothes are loose don't worry about measuing. That's my 2 cents.