DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
Sooo ive NEVER had eggplant before....
and I really wanna try it...

Whats your fav recipe?!

Replies

• SerenaP82
    SerenaP82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just bought one yesterday. It had a recipe on the tag for eggplant pizzas. Im going to try it soon, I dont remember exactly but I think you:
    Pre heat 425, slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch slice, brush each slice with olive oil, then pasta/tomato sauce, top each slice with a leaf of fresh basil and mozzarella and bake til done, probably 30-45 min I would assume.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    In Sri Lanka, they had the best dish EVER, and I asked for the recipe. They call it Brinjal there. The dish has eggplant, pineapple, tomatoes, onion fried together, then add tomato sauce. I haven't made it myself yet, but I can't wait to make it. Sounds strange, but it was SOOO good!
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    We eat something similar to what Serena described below, but we call it eggplant parm. But it's basically just eggplant with a bit of oil, breadcrumbs, some red sauce and some cheese. It's quite tasty, and very low calorie. I can eat 6 slices for about 500 calories.
  • sheresamae
    sheresamae Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i bought one gonna have hubby grill it i'll let you know :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Baked eggplant parmesan. Martha Stewart has a great recipe, just search for it on her website.
  • cfergy
    cfergy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    definitely grilled. Yum. You could also make a saute of eggplant, onion, yellow squash and zucchini, add a can of diced tomatoes and season with fresh thyme. It's so good.
    Good luck.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    That Sri Lankan recipe sounds delicious-- I will look for it!

One of my favorites is a north/central Indian recipe - Baigan Bhartha. There are a ton of recipes for it online, all a little bit different. It's a dish that's usually loaded with other veggies too!

Definitely try it layered in a vegetable terrine too, say--one with potatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, tomato sauce and a fresh herb or two.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Moussaka. A Greek dish. Eggplant has a very homey umami flavor
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    LOVE Eggplant, but only started eating it a few months ago....
    http://marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com/2011/10/new-love-affair.html
    this is one of my favorite ways to cook it - so YUM!
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I usually find great recipes for eggplant when I search for vegetarian recipes. Then I add meat if I want. I like to cut it into cubes and roast with some onions, tomatos, and sometimes peppers (any vegetable can be roasted & goes well really). I add it to pasta so I get more veggies than pasta. I also like to slice it thick (almost like a loaf of bread) and put a little olive oil, spinach, and some cheese on top & bake it. I've also had it with croutons under the cheese, but I like it better without. You can add a little pasta sauce to it or leave it without.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Take a medium eggplant, peel it (I use a carrot peeler) and chop it into 1 inch cubes (approx). Cut up red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper, and chop up 2-4 cloves of garlic (you can also add a chopped red onion of you like them). Put it all in a roasting pan and toss the veggies with 1/3 cup olive oil, 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper. Roast at 425 for 40 minutes, stirring once.

Take 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, 1 tsp. kosher salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and mix together. Use this as the dressing for the vegetable/pasta or rice mix.

I usually mix the roasted veggies (drippings and all) with 2/3 of a box of mini-penne pasta, about 1 cup of sundried tomato and basil feta cheese (crumbled) and dressing to taste. The recipe's dressing is too much for my palate, but you may like it. You can also add fresh basil and toasted pine nuts, or you can mix it with orzo instead of pasta.

The roasted veggies in this are so yummy that I usually eat quite a few of them before they make it into the pasta. :)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe on Sparkrecipes called Eggplant Fries

Essentially, you just peel and cut up the eggplant, dip it in egg, then dip it in breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown. They are so yummy! They have the texture of french fries, but less grease. I like to dip mine in marinara sauce.
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille! The dish, not the movie. :)

1 medium onion
    2-4 cloves garlic
    1 eggplant
    1-2 bell peppers (I usually use 1 red and half a yellow for color)
    1 large (or two small) zucchini
    8 oz. mushrooms (I use crimini or button)
    1 28oz can tomatoes, whole or crushed
    Lots of basil and oregano, but I just use a heaping palmful of Italian herb blend.

Basically, cook the onions and garlic in some olive oil, cut up the veggies to roughly the same sizes, add and stir in batches (if you add them all at once, there won't be any room to stir!), drop in the tomatoes and herbs, and let it simmer for a bit. At least 25 minutes. If using whole tomatoes, crush 'em up when you pour them in. My recipe also says to boil it at the end to get rid of most of the liquid, but I don't always do that. Sometimes I add black olives.

This is super tasty, a great way to eat lots of veggies, and something I make all the time. It's even better as leftovers!
  • dodger7977
    dodger7977 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! These all sound delicious!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Eggplant with garlic sauce, every time. You can omit the tofu here and just use eggplant, but the tofu is pretty delicious in it.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/08/eggplant-and-tofu-in-spicy-garlic.html
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    These all sound excellent!
  • cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hbarney
    hbarney Posts: 434
    Options
    I found a recipe on Sparkrecipes called Eggplant Fries

Essentially, you just peel and cut up the eggplant, dip it in egg, then dip it in breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown. They are so yummy! They have the texture of french fries, but less grease. I like to dip mine in marinara sauce.

I have been doing this-cut my eggplant in thin slices. LOVE IT!!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    For those who may be limiting fats in their diet ... when you saute or fry eggplant, it will soak up oil like a sponge so you end up using much more oil in the recipe than you planned. I've had excellent Thai, Japanese, and Indian dishes based on eggplant, but unfortunately I couldn't tell you their names.