sodium and weight loss?

Options
dubist
dubist Posts: 279 Member
I was wondering if you have to get rid of the water weight before you burn fat?
can i still burn fat and lose weight if i am holding water weight and have a high sodium level?
is this issue the same for men and women?

thxs

Replies

• ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    I personally have to watch my sodium intake closely. There is some chemistry/physiology behind burning fat instead of muscle, but I do believe you generally lose around 10 pounds of water weight first. If you restrict your sodium and still have some water weight, try a mild diuretic for a couple of days.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    Oh - I wanted to add on to here that sodium can be a trigger to overeat for many people, just like sugar.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Yes you can still burn fat.

Burning fat has to do with calorie burn and food intake. If you operate at a calorie deficit and you aren't completely sedentary, then you will burn mostly fat to make up the deficit. If you don't exercise, then you'll lose more lean tissue (i.e., muscle) than if you also exercised to create your calorie deficit.

Sodium and water retention has nothing to do with fat loss. Water retention is only an annoyance because it makes your weight on the scale fluctuate and sometimes that can mask the fat loss. And, if you are prone to high blood pressure, sodium can raise it. So those are the only reasons to worry about sodium.

It's not just sodium that causes water retention or to let go of water. How much glycogen is in your muscle also impacts how much water your muscle retain. You want glycogen in your muscles so you want the water there too. But it's going to mess with the weight on the scale somewhat. (This is why people often don't lose the week they start an exercise program.)

The main thing to keep in mind is that water retention makes the scale go up and down but it's not because you are fatter or skinnier. The scale also goes up immediately after you eat, if you drink a bunch of water, if you have heavy clothes on, etc. But none of this is 'real' in the sense that is has nothing to do with how much fat you've lost. It's as if you put a roll of quarters in your pocket and then weighed yourself.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium makes me crave sugar.
  • dubist
    dubist Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Yes you can still burn fat.

Burning fat has to do with calorie burn and food intake. If you operate at a calorie deficit and you aren't completely sedentary, then you will burn mostly fat to make up the deficit. If you don't exercise, then you'll lose more lean tissue (i.e., muscle) than if you also exercised to create your calorie deficit.

Sodium and water retention has nothing to do with fat loss. Water retention is only an annoyance because it makes your weight on the scale fluctuate and sometimes that can mask the fat loss. And, if you are prone to high blood pressure, sodium can raise it. So those are the only reasons to worry about sodium.

It's not just sodium that causes water retention or to let go of water. How much glycogen is in your muscle also impacts how much water your muscle retain. You want glycogen in your muscles so you want the water there too. But it's going to mess with the weight on the scale somewhat. (This is why people often don't lose the week they start an exercise program.)

The main thing to keep in mind is that water retention makes the scale go up and down but it's not because you are fatter or skinnier. The scale also goes up immediately after you eat, if you drink a bunch of water, if you have heavy clothes on, etc. But none of this is 'real' in the sense that is has nothing to do with how much fat you've lost. It's as if you put a roll of quarters in your pocket and then weighed yourself.
    Thank you i found that very helpful. not to worried about the water weight now just the long term picture and dropping the pounds.
  • dgwear
    dgwear Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    if your tracking weight loss in numbers it might be in the best of interest to keep sodium consistant. so basically take a normal days sodium intake and make that your staple.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Water weight from stored energy (glycogen) and water retention from sodium are two different things. When you burn as many calories as you do, it is impossible to stay under 2500 mg, and besides, you sweat a lot of sodium out.
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    I just talked to my Dr. about how much Sodium a person should have, 3500 mg is correct.
    If you are to go under by alot (example 1500 mg per day)your body will start to cramp up & you may run into problems.

Of course some people have to have a lower sodium intake, might be caused my medical reasons, etc.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if you have to get rid of the water weight before you burn fat?
    can i still burn fat and lose weight if i am holding water weight and have a high sodium level?

No, yes. Unrelated items.

Water doesn't provide energy to muscles, fat and glucose do.

Mostly fat when doing nothing, all carbs when anaerobic.
    During insulin spikes after heavy carb meal, excess carbs burned first, then back to fat burn, even during rest. Fat in that meal stored as fat during that time.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    I just talked to my Dr. about how much Sodium a person should have, 3500 mg is correct.
    If you are to go under by alot (example 1500 mg per day)your body will start to cramp up & you may run into problems.

Of course some people have to have a lower sodium intake, might be caused my medical reasons, etc.

Yes - I try to keep mine @ 1,000 per day. Otherwise my bp goes up and I get edema. I have never had a cramping problem.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    Beginning tomorrow I am using the Rice Diet approach. It was developed in 1939 by a cardiologist at Duke University for hypertensive patients and has since been used very effectively for morbid obesity, diabetes, heart conditions, etc. It is a restricted sodium, low calorie, whole foods, spiritual life change. Today the program is run by a cardiologist and registered dietician.
    I discussed it with my dr and she is behind the approach all the way. I cannot afford to attend the program in person, so I subscribed to the online forums and bought two of the books.
    Here is a link if you're interested :http://www.ricediet.com