paleo diet

Options
I was just reading up on the famous Staci and the paleo diet she follows, and I must admit i'm intrigued. I eat alot of processed stuff and lots of carbs /sugars, but would like to try to transition to something more natural....anyone with similar diet to me do this and was it hard for you to get used to?

Replies

• Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    It is an adjustment if you love grains and sugars and the other foods not part of paleo. But it's worth the struggle if you are experiencing a poor quality of life eating those foods.

I opt for this lifestyle. It makes me feel good and happy.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I like the idea, but I could not give up grains :) I love rice too much!
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Ahh Staci, she is what really got me interested in Paleo as well. I was already at my goal weight, which I achieved through moderate exercise and switching my diet to eat "clean". So I had basically already cut out all the processed foods and was eating what I thought was pretty clean.

I started eating paleo on Oct. 10. Gave up my beloved dairy and granola. I didn't find it very hard but like I said, I had already cut most processed food from my diet and was already watching my sugar intake. I struggled the first week with low carb flu, a common side effect but after that, started feeling AMAZING. I no longer felt hungry between meals, or even if I skipped a meal. I stopped tracking calories, which after about 7 mths of tracking was a relief in itself!

After I got through the 30 days of strict paleo, I did try re-introducing some things and they made me feel sick! I couldn't believe it. Now I never even think about those foods I used to eat. I think of granola and it doesn't even appeal to me anymore, especially now that I know how it truly makes me feel.

Def keep looking into it, reading research. I did this for weeks before I started and found it all very helpful. If you can afford to, pick up one of the Paleo books! I have Robb Wolf's The Paleo Diet Solution and it's a very good read. If you can't afford a book, check out some of the following online resources:

www.marksdailyapple.com
    www.paleohacks.com
    www.robbwolf.com

There's also a paleo/primal support group on here! Search it up if you're interested :D
  • GalaxyDuck
    Options

This is what I used to think! Until I bit the bullet and tried it and realized I def COULD give up grains & cheese. I just didn't WANT to, because they're addictive. They send signals to the same receptors that heroin and morphine do. Here's an interesting article on how your body handles them (it's actually an excerpt from the book I mentioned earlier):
    http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2010/09/19/paleo-diet-solution/
  • adamswife23
    adamswife23 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't, but I just started looking into the paleo diet myself. I want to start eating more natural as well.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info! This is definitely going to be a transition, and will be hard too since my husband is likely not going to be doing with it me....but if i can get him to do a little more less processed stuff too i'd be happy :)

My local library has a book on paleo, but its checked out now....in the meantime i'll check out the groups and websites posted here! I'm also open to any good recipes or examples of what you eat in a day too since i literally just started researching this and dont really much about it yet
  • GalaxyDuck
    Options
    Well I haven't been tracking my foods since I went paleo, but I am actually about to start logging again next week so then you'll be able to read through my diary and see what I eat. I'm sure if you do some searching around here, you'll find other paleo ppl with open diaries. I'm doing full paleo so no dairy. Some people are a little more relaxed with it and will consume whole milk and full fat cheese but I haven't actually missed dairy at all, surprisingly.

A typical day for me looks something like this:

Breakfast: 2-3 egg omelette loaded with veggies. Sometimes homemade salsa on top. Bacon (nitrate & sugar free).

Snack: Almonds and fruit

Lunch: Salad and usually grilled chicken breast or tuna. Any form of protein.

Dinner: roasted root veggies (just no white potatos), salad or raw snacking veggies (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower) & guacamole, meat.

Some paleo substitutes I've really come to love: coconut oil (instead of butter) & so delicious unsweetened coconut milk (instead of milk).
  • PaleoWhick
    PaleoWhick Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a more Primal paleo, so I do take in some dairy (not much) and nuts and seeds. I didn't find giving up grains or sugar to be hard at all, but that's just me. For some people it will be crippling. Giving up legumes was the hardest, but I'm over that now. I don't take artificial sweetener anymore either. Definitely check out Latest in Paleo podcast- it's a great resource. Loren Cordain's the Paleo Diet is a good foundation, but it's dated and some of the things in there have been proven incorrect (especially the oils section- stick with EEVO and coconut or go with animal fat [that's more primal]). I find the Primal to be easier to adhere to.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options

white rice has actually been given the "ok" (not for all, but for those who need to for budget purposes and for those not sensitive to it). I eat it maybe once or twice a week (small portion)
  • Cydnie197
    Options
    I love eating primal/paleo, but I hate trying to explain it to people. When you say "I don't eat grains, refined sugar or processed foods" they get this LOOK... like I just told them about the secret siamese twin that I've been hiding all of these years. I find it difficult to convince people that I am NOT going to die if i never eat another piece of whole wheat bread again.

Call me twisted, but the whole conspiracy theory edge to this way of eating also adds a little jazz to it for me. What I mean is, if the FDA and USDA tell me to eat lots of whole grains, dairy, and fruits/veggies, limit my lean meats and cut out as much fat as I can, I get a certain thrill from consuming less than 30g of carbs and having fat make up more than 45% of my daily intake!!
  • morethanlilies
    Options
    I love eating primal/paleo, but I hate trying to explain it to people. When you say "I don't eat grains, refined sugar or processed foods" they get this LOOK... like I just told them about the secret siamese twin that I've been hiding all of these years. I find it difficult to convince people that I am NOT going to die if i never eat another piece of whole wheat bread again.

Call me twisted, but the whole conspiracy theory edge to this way of eating also adds a little jazz to it for me. What I mean is, if the FDA and USDA tell me to eat lots of whole grains, dairy, and fruits/veggies, limit my lean meats and cut out as much fat as I can, I get a certain thrill from consuming less than 30g of carbs and having fat make up more than 45% of my daily intake!!

I don't think you're twisted! I think there's something to it too.
  • tuckeyt91
    Options
    I'm just starting the Paleo diet and am a little over whelmed by it in all honesty, does anyone have any tips on way to stick to the proper foods ?
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to take baby steps - cut out soda and the bulk of processed foods first and go towards eating clean first - ok to have grains and dairy and what not...once you get used to that for a few months step it down a bit further.

I eat as cleanly as possible with a few exceptions that make me happy (hello coffee with flavored creamer)

I did a whole food 21 day cleanse the beginning of November and that cut out pretty much all grains (could have small amount of brown rice), added sugars and dairy (even gave up my coffee :( ) - since then I have added a few things back in (yeah coffee and a piece of chocolate every now and then - especially with the holiday season upon us...oh hello friendly co-worker leaving me a Lidor Truffle...thank you and I shall enjoy it - BUT only one little treat a day...)

I think if you are used to eating a lot of processed foods, etc... step it down slowly and I think you will have great success...

Also follow some of the links that pp have provided - one of the greatest things you can do when thinking about a lifestyle change as this is to really educate yourself...It has been 2+ years of reading books and articles and such to really educate myself as far as nutrients our body needs and what they all do...
  • ckclontz
    Options
    I'm bumping this for later. I'm very interested in paleo, and I'm going to lurk as folks add stuff here! :bigsmile:
  • dgwear
    dgwear Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    the paleo diet has good intentions to get people eating quality nutrient dense whole food but it is so restricting nearly sencelessly.

the more rational approach to dieting would be to find the numbers of nutrients you need carbs,protein,fats,vitamins,minerals then work with foods that will make you satisfied personally. i dont understand why people get such a kick out of foods just cause they were around x amount of years ago. our bodys dont read foods they read nutrients.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Paleo diet = don't count calories, just avoid the list of naughty foods
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting the Paleo diet and am a little over whelmed by it in all honesty, does anyone have any tips on way to stick to the proper foods ?

What is there to be over whelmed with? It is the most simple eating plan out there..............

Eat:

Protein in the form of meat, eggs, fish and seafood (grass fed, wild caught, free range sources are best if you can afford them)

Fats in the form of animal fats, coconut oil, olive oil, real butter, avocado

Lots of green leafy vegetables

Fruit if your body is tolerant of it and if you don't have a lot of weight to lose. If you have a lot to lose then stick with berries until you lost the majority of the weight you want to lose.

Limit most nuts and seeds because of the Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio being out of balance

Drink water, teas and coffee

If you must sweeten, go with real stevia. Sweet Leaf makes a good one preferably in the liquid form. The powdered form is processed with maltodextrin.

Avoid: Peanuts and all other legumes, lentils, grains, and most dairy (unless you are tolerant to dairy, then it is allowed).

Avoid PUFA's (aka canola and other vegetable oils)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    the paleo diet has good intentions to get people eating quality nutrient dense whole food but it is so restricting nearly sencelessly.

the more rational approach to dieting would be to find the numbers of nutrients you need carbs,protein,fats,vitamins,minerals then work with foods that will make you satisfied personally. i dont understand why people get such a kick out of foods just cause they were around x amount of years ago. our bodys dont read foods they read nutrients.

I don't find it restrictive at all.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Primal/Paleo is the easiest way that I have ever lost weight and gotten healthy. I've lost weight counting calories and eating "healthy whole grains", but I was always hungry and would gain the weight back plus some. I just wish I knew about this "back in the day"....lol
  • Cydnie197
    Options

I don't find it restrictive at all.

I don't either, unless you think of it in terms of how we are expected to eat (SAD). It's true that almost every item on every menu has some type of grain/starchy carb on it, but just about anything can be modified to be paleo.

Example: I went to Red Robin and had a Blue Ribbon burger (bacon cheese burger with an egg on top) no bun, added avocado and exchanged the fries for a side salad, no crutons, easy peasy.

If you are staying home to eat.... pththth!! This is the easiest "diet" ever.

I just say "if I can pick it, grow it, or kill it, I can eat it!!"