How much caffeine? Is it worth it?

Options
xLyric
xLyric Posts: 840 Member
So, I need to write a paper, it's midnight and I expect I'll be up for quite a while, so I went by the store on my way home and grabbed a frozen cappuccino thing. I hate coffee, so I figured I could at least stomach that and get me through the night.

I got a 32oz cup because that's what I put my water in (made sense at the time), and went to log it when I got home, and I had to get out my calculator because I thought for sure it was wrong. Depending on where I look (here or the internet) this thing has 180-240 calories for 8oz. That's around 700 to A LOT in a 32oz cup.

So. What I want to know, is how much caffeine is there normally in a frozen cappuccino? It's from QuikTrip (a gas station), and nowhere does it have caffeine info, online or here on MFP.

Is there enough to really make drinking the whole thing worth it? Or would a little work? I don't drink soda, I haven't had caffeine in a really long time, so would a little work?

I mean, really, if it actually has no caffeine at all don't tell me, I might be able to get by on the placebo effect, haha.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    my guess is probably around 300-400mg there is 100-200mg in 1 cup of brewed coffee.
    Im downing a whole pot as I type this. Yayy college!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    adderoll > caffeine
  • Jadesfattorment
    Options
    If you are going to gas stations to buy coffee, don't they sell hot coffee? Because that would be calorie free with sweetner or black. there are 80mg per 1 cup of brewed coffee. :)

- Starbucks double shots are a cold coffee drink and if you get the vanilla light there are only 130 calories.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If it's caffeine you're after you would have been better off with plain old black coffee or maybe even something like vivarin. That frozen cappuccino thing probably has a ton of sugar in it. Between the caffeine and sugar, you will probably be wired after you drink it, but I'd be concerned about hitting a sugar low afterwards.

To your original question of how much caffeine.... if you know the serviving size, I would maybe figure each serving has the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee. That would be my guesstimate.

Good luck with the paper. Maybe if you get sleepy, take a quick walk outside, get the blood flowing. Stay hydrated.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    The poster hates coffee, so I don't think the coffee suggestions are going to fly...
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    The poster hates coffee, so I don't think the coffee suggestions are going to fly...

Lol you have a point xD I load up on monsters if im not feeling coffee
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I absolutely realize this was a stupid choice, but black coffee does no good if I can't choke it down without gagging. If I hadn't been in a hurry (or had used my brain at all) I would have for sure gone for something else, but with the amount you guys are giving for the caffeine I probably won't end up drinking the whole thing either way, that sounds like plenty.

So yeah, go college. :P

Thanks for the replies!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If you don't need as much caffeine as an energy drink or coffee maybe you could just get a Pepsi Max next time. A 20 fl oz bottle has 115mg caffeine.
  • RaiLynn27
    Options
    I prefer a 5-Hour Energy to caffeine. Don't know if it's the placebo effect, and I don't care, because it works for me! The cheaper route if you only want caffeine would be NoDoz (no doze). Cheap. Effective. As much caffeine as 2 cups of coffee with ZERO calories.
  • MissMizzy
    Options
    Yeah, if you really just want caffeine and you don't like coffee, I'd go for caffeine pills or a diet soda with a high caffeine content like Pepsi Max, as the one poster suggested. Anything other than normal coffee is going to be just chock full of sugar and gross things that your body doesn't need!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Monster Rehab- the same great caffeine and vitamin overload with those wonderful jitters with less Monster *kitten* tasting to it.

The black tea is the best, the green tea oddly tastes like pineapples and the red tea one is pretty good

20 calories in a big can and plenty of regret later !
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I prefer a 5-Hour Energy to caffeine. Don't know if it's the placebo effect, and I don't care, because it works for me! The cheaper route if you only want caffeine would be NoDoz (no doze). Cheap. Effective. As much caffeine as 2 cups of coffee with ZERO calories.

5-Hour Energy contains Caffieine
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    why not just take a caffeine pill... they are over the counter and taking ONE for a boost isn't terrible.
  • celeste_xo
    Options
    red bull sugar free = 10 calories per small can. that's my go-to during finals hell week :) good luck!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Just drink the coffee BLACK. ZERO calories... unless you have K-cups, sometimes there's 2 WHOLE calories in there! As funny as that Adderal comment is, please don't even go there!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    No Doze or Jet Alert! Just don't go crazy and take more than one if you aren't used to caffeine. One pill, 200 mg of caffeine. You can find them in most stores, look by either the sleep aids or Excedrin migraine. In fact, if you buy excedrin, switch to just two tylenol and a no doze instead. exactly the same formula, 1/3 of the price.
  • RaiLynn27
    Options

5-Hour Energy contains Caffieine

Lol, yeah... I don't even have an explanation for that one!! Whoops, sorry.

Maybe I meant I prefer 5-Hour Energy to coffee? Hell, I dunno. Fail.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Did you drink it? How did the paper go?
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Monster rehab works... And you can get a sugar free one which lowers the calories a bit. Coffee from a gas station - I always get a sugar free fat free milk vanilla latte. Like 70 calories or something for a medium size cup or 119 cals for a 24OZ.
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i learned to love coffee in school - but if you dont like that taste try caffiene pills - I use them all the time, you will feel jittery the first few times, but I take them fairly frequently

as for the metabolic effect - its interesting I took caffeine pills before scuba diving and noticed that my air consumption was about the same as when i dont take caffeine - I have no doubt that it increases your metabolic rate, but I didnt see an increase in the amount I breathed off the tank - though I could have been at a slightly higher depth or something... just a random thought