Zumba

Options
2»

Replies

• chelzmartinez
    chelzmartinez Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing a HRM for over a year now and it usually runs around 550-1000 calories a class depending on your intensity. The highest I burned in a 60 minute class has been 1100 and it was an INTENSE class. So for a moderate low impact, 50 minute class, I'd say closer to 450- 550 and that is for someone roughly 5-1" 140ish...... :-) Hope that helps!
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia band, and I start the "workout" on my phone app at the beginning of each class, and I have found that the # of calories burned depends on my intensity, and my intensity depends on if I know the routines, and whether the routines are more "dance" vs. "fitness". If the instructor is introducing a new routine, then I don't workout with as much intensity, because I am trying to get the steps.

For referrence:
    I am 46, 5' 3", and am currently at 203 lbs. (down from 239 lbs) - in a 60 minute class I have burned as little as 467 calories (fighting a cold, and new class) to 601 calories (knew routines, full intensity). Usually I burn between 565 and 595.
  • moonmaeven
    Options
    From the Mayo Clinic... http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/SM00109

Aerobics, water - 1-hour duration
    160 pounds (73 kilograms) - 402calories
    200 pounds (91 kilograms) - 501calories
    240 pounds (109 kilograms) - 600calories

So maybe a little bit more because Zumba is supposed to be very intense. And then again, YMMV... your mileage may vary. As with all workouts, you get out what you put in. The harder you work, the more you burn! :smile:
  • brineacosta
    Options
    http://caloriesburnedhq.com/

I've found this calories calculator. It's probably not precise, but you can get some idea how many calories you burned!
    Good luck!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Additional note: this website whatscookingamerica.net/information/calorieburnchart.htm shows this: intense aerobic dance burns .061 cal per pound per minute. Take that .061 times your weight equals how many calories you burn per minute. Example: .061 x 207 lb=12.627 calories burned per minute x 60 minutes=757.62 calories burned. Of course this still isn't 100% accurate - if you're looking for 100% accuracy get a body bugg or something like that. Good luck.

If that's right, I'm burning 891 calories each time. Not the 440 I've been putting down.
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    That depends on your size and over time you still won't burn as much because your body gets used to it. When I first started doing zumba I burned about 1000 each time/every hour, now I am anywhere between 600-750 depending on the instructor and how rigorous/intense I put in the work.