Calling all Beagle Owners!!!! HELP!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Do you have a room you can keep him in with a gate and a pee pad? We did that for awhile with our cockapoo and it worked. She has a doggy door and a fence now, but it worked for us. My parents have their Maltese trained to a dog litter box. You can get pretty good sized boxes. Just some alternatives.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    A two year old dog is fine for 8 hours in a crate. It's not ideal, but its not harmful. It sounds like the crate is the right size. So, your next step would be to take the dog to a Vet.
  • flutterby6973
    Options
    def sounds lyou are doing every thing right. my beagle was crate trained when lil... i think i got rid of it when he was 2 ... he is 12 now and rarely has an accident. i would think that maybe your vet might be able to offer some insight into this.. maybe a medical issue. Oh, and beagles are runners so be careful with yours : )
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Its most likely anxiety. Try an enzymatic cleaner to break down the little scent particles their sensitive noses can pick up. Also these cute little guys are less than brilliant so he may not even realize what he 'should' do.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    my beagle has always pooped and peed in her crate seems like when she is mad or gets in trouble lol She also makes herself gag too. I cant have bedding in there cause she will pee on it.
    My beagle is afraid of men never use to be but we had a fire in our house and ever since then she weird around men i dunno why though lol sorry i am not much help
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Jenny- Yeah I left his bedding out of his crate this a.m and he was good and didn't have an accident!

Joani- LOL He is kinda silly stupid, but I'd like to say he's getting better! Haha!

Flutter- Wish I could get him out of the crate completely but worried he's going to mess in the house, and he is def a runner but like Joani he's kinda stupid, that nose gets him at a stopping point and then I walk up and get him, I never run after him b/c he likes the chase!

therealangd- Thanks for the support, we will be making an appt ASAP!
  • katdouce
    katdouce Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've adopted 2 beagle mixes from our shelter LOL....Mr Shoeshine and Annabella ...Both smart dogs and wonderful family pets, I use to have a problem with Shoeshine...and looking back more times than not it was because he was upset with my husband HAHAHA...So with all your wedding planning, has howie been a little on the back burner??? When my hubbie would scold him for being on the bed and kick him out in a harsh voice he would come down stairs and crap on the floor...(I leave them in the bed (:) so I told him he could ASK him to leave nicely and believe it or not it has not happened since LOL...I also crate my dogs, nothing wrong with that at all..Because they do have anxiety and feel safer in their own space...He would also do it if i was really busy and gone too much out of the day..and he loves spending time with our other dog as well no accidents in a very long time...and it is much easier with 2 dogs than 1 :)