Weight fluctuates daily? Normal?

Options
I have never really weighed myself. In the past, when i would loose weight, i used to just go by how my clothes looked on me, so i am not really sure what is normal. I weigh myself after my workout at the gym. So i am in basically the same amount of clothes each time (tshirt, shorts, shoes). I weighed in 8 lbs less today than i did yesterday!?!? I know i couldn't have possibly lost even a pound in the 18 or so hours between my workouts. So i am just curious if anyone else has this happen? Is this normal or really odd?

Replies

• SMCLosesIt
    SMCLosesIt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This kind of thing happens to me but usually it is during the day - I will start out about 71kgs and end about 72.5 - I seem to balloon badly during the day! I suppose it's just fluid but it is annoying to put on a pair of pants that fit in the morning and find that by the evening they are too tight!
  • jl622
    jl622 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You should weigh yourself once a week, in the morning before you eat anything.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    weighing in the middle of the day will show extra weight - you've been eating, and drinking water hopefully - so naturally you will weigh more during the day. as someone else said, you should be weighing in the am.... also, depending on how much sodium you're taking in, you may retain water, so be sure to watch that too. :)
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me the worst time to weigh yourself is after a workout. Your muscles will be heavier and your water weight will fluctuate. It's much better to pick a day and weigh in the mornings. I get up in the morning let the dog out, go to the bathroom and then weigh myself.
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    ^word... on the same scale as well, otherwise fluctuations like that can be common
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The best time to weigh yourself is right after you wake up and go to the bathroom before you eat or drink anything. It is typical for your body to fluctuate throughout the day about 2 lbs.
  • bobbalouie
    Options
    I used to weigh myself daily but stopped doing it because it'll drive you nuts. When you gain or lose several pounds in a day it's almost always water weight. The peaks and valleys level off considerably if you weigh yourself once a week.

I'm usually a good little dieter during the week but do a little worse (but not terrible) on the weekends. So I weigh myself every Friday morning before I eat or drink anything. It gives me a pretty accurate read, and if I've lost weight (which I usually have) it gives me encouragement to be a good boy (or at least not too bad) over the weekend. Mind over matter!