healthy snack to take on a plane..... low calories

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
I would love some healthy suggestions for healthy snacks to take on a plane ride that will last for hours..... I know nuts, etc but with peanut allergies now a days i want to try to avoid that... plus they are high in calories... anything else? lots of suggestions please....

Replies

• lin7604
    Options
    any ideas for me?
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    100 calorie bags of popcorn
    pretzels
    graham crackers (130 calories for 2 "sheets")
  • lexarod2004
    Options
    dried fruits maybe, maybe some cereal ....
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    As long as it's a domestic flight: apple with almond butter (I won't take PB on a plane because of the abundance of peanut allergies), hummus with veggies.

Turkey roll-ups, Trader Joe's lite kettle corn bags if you have one near you!
  • spindowntime
    Options
    I always pack Oatmeal packets. Then, either on the plane or in a cafe before hand just ask for a cup of hot water add oats and enjoy! I always pack fruit too-apples and bananas.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Emerald Nuts makes yummy cocoa roasted almonds in 100 calorie packs.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,204 Member
    Options
    String cheese, soy nuts, cereal bars, baby carrots. Would that help?
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i usually take almonds and protein bars. not always low cal, but fill me up so i don't gorge on airport food.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    My go-to snack on trips was always beef jerky. Unless you're concerned with salt.

Now I do protein bars, I bought a few cases on sale a few months back and froze em all. I'm talkin almost $1000 worth, for like $100 bucks.

That's all I got.
  • letonia_
    letonia_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    cereal bars, rice cookies, fruits (apple, banana)
  • lin7604
    Options
    thanks everyone. I like nuts and they are easy to carry but i find high is calories, same with pretzels, high in sodium....dried fruit i have been told is way worse then real fruit but i don't know going internationally if i can even bring fruit/ veggies? I do like the idea of baby carrots, pretzels , popcorn, and even protein bars... thanks for the suggestions! :)
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful with things that could be considered "Liquid or Gels", Hummus, yogurt, dip etc could easily fall into that category "Lady blows up plane with Hummus-like explosives" - I can see the headlines now. I think fruit or veg would only be a problem depending on where you cross through customs. For example in most Canadian airports you cross through US customs BEFORE you fly so fruit is a no-no, but if you fly from the US to canada, you don't go through customs until you land so you could bring fruit or veg on the plane.

The second problem is refrigeration, when we flew back from Hawaii I put sandwiches & wraps in a cooler bag with cold packs and then put the cold packs into our checked luggage at the last minute, that kept them cool enough for a couple hours. Otherwise you are stuck with dry shelf stable items (bars, nuts, seeds, crackers, cereal, jerky). I do find though that no matter how much carby crunchy snacks I eat I still get famished on a plane, and they always run out of sandwiches to buy. Sometimes its best to even buy a sandwich, drink and healthy snack or salad after you clear customs and bring it with you on the plane.
  • lin7604
    Options
    yes i hear you, it just costs a fortune, so trying to avoid those high costs if i can... ( there will be 3 of us). So at least if i can have a bit to eat at the airport or before we leave home and then only have to buy a smaller cheaper snack on the plane that would be better then we can much on the other items i bring. it's a 5 hr flight and we leave at 6:45 am. Then i hate getting salads, etc b/c i always see those shows where there was more fat in it then a burger... i never know what is the "right" things to have in a salad and what NOT to have, eg) dressings....
  • sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have started bringing Nile Spice soups and plastic spoons with me on the airplane. They are about 200 calories each and actually taste really good. I just ask for a hot water when the beverage cart comes around - the cup they give you is the perfect amount.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I bring measured out baggies of Trader Joe's kettle corn or banana chips when I have a long day and need something that will keep to munch on.
  • lin7604
    Options
    OHHHH i love banana chips but i hear they are not so healthy? more sugar or something in them then if you ate a whole banana by itself....
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I just made my first batch of kale chips. I'm totally sold. They are tasty and nutritious.
  • lin7604
    Options
    how did you make those?
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Really easy. Take a bunch of kale and make sure the leaves are nice and dry. tear the leafy parts into bite sized pieces (not any of the thick part), and spread them out on a cookie sheet. The recipe said to drizzle a tablespoon of olive over them. I used a spray bottle to spray it and I think it coated more evenly with less oil. Then you sprinkle whatever flavor of seasoned salt you like. I used bbq seasoning in a couple batches and just sea salt in a couple. It was good both ways. Bake them in the oven at 350 for between 10 to 15 minutes. They should be light and crispy. Too brown and they get a little bitter. They're really good. My grandkids love them.
  • oldultrarunner
    oldultrarunner Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I always take 2-3 apples with me on domestic flights. On international flights, I throw in some apples, low fat turkey sandwiches, and some low calorie/no salt crackers. I spend a lot of my time in airports sitting and waiting, so I like to have things to munch on that aren't going to add up. I also always bring along a 1-2 liter water bottle and fill it up at a water fountain for free and drink water a lot because of the constant dehydration effect of flying (especially on 14 hr international flights).