New Year, New Me!

Options

Replies

• mobskee
    mobskee Posts: 200
    Options
    I would love to get more ideas on healty snacks...I feel that my snacks are healthy but I'm getting burnt out on eating the same snacks all the time.

What is everybody else snacking on???
  • Balanced_Life
    Balanced_Life Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would love to get more ideas on healty snacks...I feel that my snacks are healthy but I'm getting burnt out on eating the same snacks all the time.

What is everybody else snacking on???
    Maria - good topic! I'd love to get some snack ideas too.

I usually have these things for dessert, but these are also my favorite snacks:

- Kashi GoLean Original cereal (good source of soy protein - has 13 gm per 140 cal serving)
    - Kashi Chewy Peanut Butter granola bars
    - nonfat milk w/Mt. Hagen decaf instant coffee & SweetLeaf Chocolate stevia

I drink a lot of dessert teas every day as zero cal between meal snacks. They're great for suppressing hunger pangs and have a lot of nutrients as well. My cupboards are stuffed full of many types of dessert teas, but these are my favorites:

1) Celestial Seasonings "Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride" herbal tea w/SweetLeaf English Toffee stevia
    2) Stash "Vanilla Nut Creme" decaf black tea w/SweetLeaf English toffee stevia
    3) Stash "Chocolate Hazelnut" decaf black tea w/SweetLeaf Chocolate stevia
    4) Celestial Seasonings "Candy Cane Lane" decaf green tea w/SweetLeaf Clear stevia
    5) Celestial Seasonings "Orange Mango" red tea w/SweetLeaf Clear stevia
    6) Celestial Seasonings "Apple Cinnamon Spice" herbal tea w/SweetLeaf Clear stevia
    7) Celestial Seasonings "Honey Vanilla Chamomile" herbal tea w/Sweetleaf Clear stevia
  • Balanced_Life
    Options
    Ok. I'm at 206.5...only one lb gain....could have been so much more :laugh: I was up 4lbs on Monday
    Maria - I was also glad that I didn't gain more than 1 lb! :laugh: I hope your cold is getting better.

Hi Mimi,

Thank you for checking! I feel so much better this morning. I swear sleep is the key to a fast recovery! I'm actually thinking of going for a walk!
    That's great! I'm glad that you're feeling better. :flowerforyou: I totally agree, its best to sleep as much as possible to recover.
  • Balanced_Life
    Options
    Ok. I'm at 206.5...only one lb gain....could have been so much more :laugh: I was up 4lbs on Monday
    Maria - I was also glad that I didn't gain more than 1 lb! :laugh: I hope your cold is getting better.

Hi Mimi,

Thank you for checking! I feel so much better this morning. I swear sleep is the key to a fast recovery! I'm actually thinking of going for a walk!
    That's great! I'm glad that you're feeling better. :flowerforyou: I totally agree, its best to sleep as much as possible to recover.
  • Balanced_Life
    Options

Maria - that sounds good! I'd like to try the apple pie gum -- who makes it?

My favorites so far are the Trident Layers Wild Strawberry and Trident Layers Green Apple gum.
    The mint chocolate chip ice cream gum is AWESOME!!!
    Joe - I agree! Is your gum made by Wrigley's?

It's made by Extra (Wrigley's) the same brand that the mint chocolate chip ice cream gum. It's kind of hard to find the apple pie flavor...brown packaging. I hope that helps!
    Maria -- thanks! I'll look for it next time I'm at the store. By the way, the Key Lime Pie gum (also by Wrigley's Extra) is also really good.

Mimi you should see my desert gum arrangement at work lol...I have like four different flavors :-) I love the flavor of the key lime pie but it seems like that one looses its flavor very fast. Orange Creamcycle is also a good one.
    :laugh: GMTA! I also have 4 different flavors -- Trident Layers' "Green Apple + Golden Pineapple" and "Wild Strawberry + Tangy Citrus," and Wrigley's Extra's "Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream" and "Key Lime Pie."

You're right, the "Key Lime Pie" does lose its flavor pretty fast. I've found that the Trident Layers gum keeps its flavor the longest by far, and the gum stays really soft even after you've been chewing it for a long time.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the "Orange Creamsicle" too!
  • Mandalicious
    Options
    You guys are cracking me up with the gum ideas!
    My favorite snacks are TJ's light string cheese (60 cal), dry roasted almonds and half an apple, small tangerine (20 to 25 cal each), ThinkThin protein bars (about 200 cal).
    Could only do 13 standard push-ups today before I wimped out. Got a LONG way to go if I want to get back up to 20!
  • MarineWifey09
    Options
    Late on weighing in since I was late on starting this, sorry Mandy! I am at 124! That was before going to Buffalo Wild Wings last night, LOL.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Sorry this is so late, but here we go...

My name is Joe. I work as a software engineer which keeps me at a keyboard ALOT. My two biggest motivations for losing weight are my dad and my wife. My dad had a serious heart attack just before Christmas in 09 I realized I didn't want my wife to sit next to my bed worrying like my mom was. For some reason, probably denial or fear, but I didn't get serious about it until this year on Paczki Day. So I ate the last paczki I was going to eat, went down to the gym here at work, signed up, and decided I would start changing the food I eat from there on out.

I'm down 80 lbs since then. Rather than set a target weight I've decided to go by the size clothes I can wear. I started at size 50 pants and 4XL shirts in February; down to size 42s and 2XLs. By New Years I'd like to shave off 5 pounds. I know that seems low, but my loss is slowing down and I'm tweaking my diet and exercise to try and kick it back up again.

Starting Weight: 265.0
    Dec. 02: 266.6

I think the various "left overs" gathering with family and friends after the last challenge ended has caught up with the scale. Working on shedding that 1.6 ASAP!
  • ratsyroo
    ratsyroo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hey, Joe! :smile: You have done great so far! Congrats!
    I'm only looking for a 4-5 lb weight loss by New Years as well since my scales are moving slowly but steadily. 1 lb loss at the most seems to be what works for me right now. But like you--my clothes are fitting better or are now too loose! :happy:
    Let's do this!
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    So sorry on the delay. I guess I joined quite a few groups and didn't have it all organized well. Got it all written down in my notebook now. Hope I'm not too late, but my weigh in for 12/2 was 183.
  • MarineWifey09
    Options
    You guys are cracking me up with the gum ideas!
    My favorite snacks are TJ's light string cheese (60 cal), dry roasted almonds and half an apple, small tangerine (20 to 25 cal each), ThinkThin protein bars (about 200 cal).
    Could only do 13 standard push-ups today before I wimped out. Got a LONG way to go if I want to get back up to 20!

I got the Strawberry shortcake flavored gum yesterday and I love it!!!!
  • kyodi
    Options
    Hey, Joe! You have done great so far! Congrats!
    I'm only looking for a 4-5 lb weight loss by New Years as well since my scales are moving slowly but steadily. 1 lb loss at the most seems to be what works for me right now. But like you--my clothes are fitting better or are now too loose!
    Let's do this!

Thanks!!

I'm trying not to get busted up by what the scale says; if I wasn't so scientific I'd swear it lies 80% of the time. I was trying the lb a week goal, but I think I'll just set mini food/exercise goals and let that "effect the bottom line" so to speak.

You are right; we all will do this!!!! :-D
  • MarineWifey09
    Options
    Tell me this isn't motivated...ran/walked 6 miles (including a STEEP incline mile up a big hill and I am not exaggerating, LOL) and carried a watermelon (lady I babysit for gave me one so I swung by her house on my walk to pick it up lol) for the last mile....then I cleaned and rearranged furniture. I think that's motivated!!! I am going to do 30 push ups later. My arms are already dead!
  • Mandalicious
    Options
    Hey, dudes! My awesome hubby get our website working:
    http://www.schmole.com/myfitnesspal/resultsNY2012.htm
    I will update again this Friday!!!

Got two sets of 16 push-ups in yesterday. 'Bout to go try to crack out 17 now!
  • MarineWifey09
    Options
    Nice job Mandy on the push-ups! You reminded me to do some!
  • henney16
    henney16 Posts: 288
    Options
    Sorry guys - I've been pretty quite on the message board this week. I think I'm finally going to see a good loss this week after a little bit of yoyo the last few weeks with my multiple Thanksgivings and leftovers! Things have been crazy around my house as we await the arrival of my son. The due date is tomorrow, so I'm hoping he decides to show up soon! I will be majorly happy if my weigh in on Friday read the same as it did this morning. I pushed it a little extra hard at the gym tonight since I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to get back there in the coming week(s) with my son being born and all. I'll keep you all updated and post pictures when lil man arrives.

Dave
  • henney16
    henney16 Posts: 288
    Options
    Daves weigh-in = 225.2

My wife woke me up around 5:15 this morning due to her having contractions. We started timing them and once we had a few at 5 minutes apart I knew it was time to go. So, I went and weighed myself because I knew today was going to be an OFF eating day to say the least. So I weighed myself and then showered and got my wife to the hospital. So, I had an awesome drop in weight this week, but the best part is, I welcomed my son Zachary into the world this morning. This is probably going to affect my weight and I'm sure i'll put a few lbs back on. This just means that I'll have to work hard the next few weeks to hit my goal. Take a look at my little guy!

wlmwo.jpg
  • Balanced_Life
    Options
    Daves weigh-in = 225.2

My wife woke me up around 5:15 this morning due to her having contractions. We started timing them and once we had a few at 5 minutes apart I knew it was time to go. So, I went and weighed myself because I knew today was going to be an OFF eating day to say the least. So I weighed myself and then showered and got my wife to the hospital. So, I had an awesome drop in weight this week, but the best part is, I welcomed my son Zachary into the world this morning. This is probably going to affect my weight and I'm sure i'll put a few lbs back on. This just means that I'll have to work hard the next few weeks to hit my goal. Take a look at my little guy!

wlmwo.jpg
    Wow -- great news all around! Zachary is really cute! Congratulations again!!
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Weigh in today: 182.8

Congrats To Dave and his wife!! Happy birthday Zachary. :)
  • kyodi
    Options
    @Dave: Congrats to you and your wife. Glad to hear mother and son are doing well.

Here's my weigh in...

Starting Weight: 265.0
    Dec. 02: 266.6
    Dec. 09: 263.2

Going up last week made me angry; so I took out that anger in the gym. Started doing laps on the track (1/8 mile each lap) with 15 squats in between. I've only been counting the lifting and not that extra as I seem to go over my 2K cals a day goal. The mind trick worked :-D