I ate a vegetable and ENJOYED it :)

Options
I've been vegetarian for the past 7 years, but even growing up as a child and through my vegetarianism I have NEVER liked vegetables. I think it stems from being force fed them as a child, so my diet throughout life has been potatoes, pasta, noodles, fruit and other junk food like crisps, cakes and chocolates. The only veg I've not minded eating is a RAW carrot, but I despise them cooked. I also don't mind eating mushy peas but I don't like any other peas. Broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts, cabbage and the rest are completely out of the question.

I've been a member of MFP for a month now and I'm down 16.4lbs and desperate to keep the weightloss going, so I've realised some changes need to be made. Today I roasted some fine green beans and sprinkled them with garlic powder and parmesan ... and I absolutely LOVED them. I feel so happy with myself for trying something new and even more happy for enjoying them.

I think that the garlic and parmesan masked most of the taste of the beans so I was wondering if anyone else has cooking tips or recipes I can try out? I have juiced veg before and added apple so it's sweet, but I can't chew them without gagging and wanting to throw up. I'd like to find new ways of cooking to make eating veg easier for me.

Replies

• bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I LOVE roasting veggies. Definitely was a way to get me to eat more.

I like adding them to soups and pasta sauces. I know it's not *as* healthy as raw veggies, but I'll eat a tons of veggies if they're disguised in soups and sauces.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    I have been looking for recipes, too. I'm not a fan of vegetables, so would definitely appreciate new ways to prepare them!
  • stephreed11
    stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Love roasting veggies as well! I make roasted garlic broccoli-so good. I didn't even like broccoli until I roasted it!
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    ::sings:: I ate a veg and I liked it :)
  • sharonhauptman
    sharonhauptman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track. Heat the oven to 425. Take those same green beans (frozen I presume) put them on a baking sheet maybe after you dip a paper towel in oil, let it get absorbed, and then lightly swish it on the baking sheet. Take frozen pepper strips of all colors. Then take meat seasonall and sprinkle it on heavily. Cook the veges till they carmalize a bit. Take them out and eat them with your fingers. Tastes like french fries, I swear!!!

ALso, I like creamed frozen nonfat milk spinach with cooked ground beef thrown in and 1 teaspoon of sugar and black pepper, but I do not think it would be for you.
  • vitahill
    vitahill Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    you can try butternut squash cut into "fries" and baked in the oven with a little olive oil. I like to put cayenne pepper on them so they are sweet and spicy. I don't like squash but these are good and they are kind of close to french fries...
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    Options
    Interesting...never roasted green beans before, will have to try it. thanks!
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I can't quit smiling over the thought that a "Vegetarian" hates vegetables. I do get the other things on the favorites list though.
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    butternut squash cubed and then mixed in a bowl with a little olive oil, garlic, rose mary, and about 1/3 cup of parm cheese. baked in oven at 350 for about half hour. OMG sooo good
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes with a bit of cinnamon!
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    Roasted bell peppers with fennel.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    GRILL them. I can eat any vegetable grilled. YUM.
  • annisthehag
    Options
    If you have a food processor you can always blitz some veggies and put them in your soups, sauces and stews. It gives the food a great flavor, but without any noticeable veggie chunks. For example, I like to make a bean chili and I'll blend up some bell pepper, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, chili, (maybe even mushrooms) and sauté that in a pot before adding the beans, tomato sauce and spices. It makes (in my opinion) the best veggie chili I've ever had in my 15 years of being a vegetarian. Good luck, I hope you can find some veggies you'll enjoy.
  • DrNicoleRed
    DrNicoleRed Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I tend to like acidic dressings (fresh squeezed lemon juice, balsamic vinegar) on green veggies (e.g., broccoli, green beans). Steam/saute them, sprinkle with lemon juice or vinegar, then garnish with pepper or garlic powder, or parmesan cheese. Cheese (sparingly) is another great veggie garnish..I prefer feta or goat cheese. Skim mozzarella would probably be good too.

Agree with prior posts re: grilled/roasted veggies. Grilling (or using a grill pan on a gas stove), or slow roasting in the oven really caramelizes the natural sugars in many of the veggies. I especially like grilled onions and eggplant, and roasted beets.
  • DrNicoleRed
    DrNicoleRed Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Also, mashed cauliflower can be prepared just like mashed potatoes.