Fruit So High In Sugar

Options
Should I be worried if I'm getting 90% of my sugar from fruit and going over my allowance by 3 times the amount I'm allowed. Surely it's better than eating chocolates and so forth. Just wondering if I should be really worried about this?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it is definitely better for you than eating chocolate and candy - because although you are getting sugar you are getting it nicely packaged up with vitamins and fibre and other goodies that you don't get from candy.
    Having said that, it's good try to get a balance between your macros (carbs/protein/fat) but if the other numbers are looking OK then I wouldn't worry too much about fruit.
    If you are particularly senstitive to sugar though, you could cut back a bit and substitute some veggies for the fruit snacks - some of my favourties are cherry tomatoes, celery, carrot, snow peas.
    Australian healthy eating guidelines suggest 2 fruit and 5 veg every day which seems like a good balance to me.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    From what I understand of Glucose, Sucrose, and Fructose, the different classes of sugar have different functional effects on the human body. But in the end they all break down in to carbs.

It's healthier, of course, to eat fruit sugars than refined sugars. But you definitely need to be careful as too much of anything isn't too good for you. Eating 3 times the amount allowed for sugar probably isn't the best diet (regardless of where the sugar is coming from). Maybe you could cut it down to at least 2 times the amount allowed? lol

With you eating that much fruit please don't neglect other areas of nutrition like protein. :)

Anyway, I'm not an expert by any means, so feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt. Only you know what works for you and your weight loss efforts. :)
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Ooops, double post
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    In short, yes.

It's still sugar. Too much sugar = Insulin peak.