Strength training!!!

Options
I've been on here for almost a year, I've lost 49 lbs, the only form of exercise I do is running.

I need to start strength training! I've been told many times and I know I need to do it I just can't bring myself to do it.

I don't have a clue where to start & how to use the machines at the gym. Not to mention that the 'weights area' is dominated by men and its quite intimidating when I don't know what I'm doing.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Would I benefit from paying for a personal trainer for a few weeks to get an idea of what to do and get into a routine?

2. What do I need to be doing!?

HELP!!

Replies

• ninyaw
    ninyaw Posts: 13
    Options
    Can you go to the gym at an off time? Our Rec Center is mostly older people from 10am-2pm. The lifting machines (Which give you a great variety of areas to work) are used by people of all ages, the free weights are pretty much men. They also have a learn how to strength train class, that is free but gets you an idea how to use everything.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've recommended this to a lot of people - http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/a/weight101.htm

it'll help you understand how many reps of each weight to do.

My advice would be to ignore the free weights for now, and the complicated does everything pulley machine, and ask a member of staff to show you how to use the specific weights machines properly. Once you have a better idea of the movement, you could ask them to show you how to use the big pulley machine - most gyms have at least one - that allows you to do most exercises on the one machine. The advantage of that machine is that it also forces you to use your core a little to hold the correct posture - which is also why it's important to know what the correct posture is first.

The weights machines in my gym have very helpful diagrams showing you what muscles they work, but you do really need a staff member to show you how to adjust them properly for your body size - like the seat positions etc.
  • beachbumant_man
    beachbumant_man Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    pt's are a waste of money, they show u a number of exercises, they r good for motivation if u don't have anyone to train with.. if u need that edge in getting motivated then yes pt's r good but if u just need a routine then the web has plenty of different sites, its a matter of finding one that suits u!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I wouldn't pay for a trainer. A lot of them are very worthless really xD

Plenty of information out there for free! Check out http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/articles
    I suggest picking up a copy New Rules Of Lifting or Starting Strength <--- very good books.

Good luck! Lift heavy things :]
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    My advice would be to ignore the free weights for now, and the complicated does everything pulley machine, and ask a member of staff to show you how to use the specific weights machines properly. Once you have a better idea of the movement, you could ask them to show you how to use the big pulley machine - most gyms have at least one - that allows you to do most exercises on the one machine. The advantage of that machine is that it also forces you to use your core a little to hold the correct posture - which is also why it's important to know what the correct posture is first.

The weights machines in my gym have very helpful diagrams showing you what muscles they work, but you do really need a staff member to show you how to adjust them properly for your body size - like the seat positions etc.

I completely disagree with this.

Focusing on compound lifting is MUCH better. Squats/deads/bench/rows/military press are great for starters.
    Using free weights you engage more muscles, and are only relying on your body. You are the only thing supporting the weight and working on form. You are working more muscles and it is more effective.

They are not complicated and should not be avoided.
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    A lot of the machines isolate one area/muscle of the body. You don't really want to isolate anything this early into strength training. Compound lifts are the way to go. You'll target a multiple muscles & focus on building an overall strong body. Research some lifts you can do to start out with & try to get your form as strict as possible. Warm up with just the bar if need be. This is extremely important so you don't put unnecessary strain on your body.

Good luck.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I would say go with a PT for a few sessions if you want.. I have one currently(well am in the process of switching.. again) and I find them useful. I personally had no clue what I was doing when it came to weight lifting, so I needed someone to show me exactly step by step what to do.

I also have different goals then most.. like I don't care about using the bar or anything like that. Nor do I care about gaining muscle or getting six pack abs.. So I needed someone to base a routine off of more doing strength for vanity reasons then anything else.

So really OP, it's up to you. There are a million and one resources out there.. so do a google search and decide whats best for you.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Double post... sorry.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Download an app on your phone called VirtuaGym. Great step-by-step workouts you can do at home with no equipment.
    If you don't like that one there are many others you can try.
  • beauand1
    Options
    I have the book "New Rules of Lifting" and I like it. There's a "New Rules of Lifting for Women," too. They have several strength training routines and other great advice for beginners. It's been working well for me.

Only $13 plus shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

I completely disagree with this.

Focusing on compound lifting is MUCH better. Squats/deads/bench/rows/military press are great for starters.
    Using free weights you engage more muscles, and are only relying on your body. You are the only thing supporting the weight and working on form. You are working more muscles and it is more effective.

They are not complicated and should not be avoided.

^^^^This!

Also if you dont want to hit the gym then start with resistance bands and work your way up in your living room!
    Easy to store and very inexpensive.
    EA Sports sells a set of 3 in the Wii console aisle at your department store for about $15 ---->http://www.amazon.com/EA-Sports®-Active-2-0-Resistance-Bands/dp/B0046SPUCA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1323432495&sr=8-4<

You can also buy "Games" For todays consoles like Wii Active by EA or The Biggest Loser.
    They have 90day programs that start you out easy then kick your *kitten* later!
    =D

Keep this in mind...for every pound of muscle you build, you burn more calories when you sleep!
    So go lift!
  • donni123
    donni123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer a Les Mills Bodypump class? It is a weightlifting class set to music. I started it a month ago and CANNOT GET ENOUGH of this class. Love it. Try it.
  • goexpos
    goexpos Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    there's a ton of video on youtube to show you how to properly use free weights etc. I usually check out at least two of an exercise just to make sure I'm not getting a video of someone's bad technique :-)
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the confidence to start lifting weights at the gymn by yourself (I didn't) then you should go with a personal trainer for a couple of sessions. If you don't like him or her, get a different one. Contrary to what some people think, they are all not worthless. They can show you the proper form that you use to make sure you don't hurt yourself. If that isn't an option, then like Helloitsdan said, get resistance bands or even some lightweight dumbbells and work out at home. If possible, do it the first couple of workouts in front of a mirror so you can see if your form is correct.
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    bump