Beer/Alcohol Suggestions

Options
Hey there! I am going to be hanging out with a friend on Saturday and catching up over drinks. We'll be at my place so options for what to pick up are only limited by what the store has. So here's my question: What beers do you like that taste great and won't eat up all of my calories for the day?

Replies

• TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I learned a few nights ago that I'd rather sip forever on a great tasting beer than chug down a bunch of Miller Lights. So get something that is well crafted with flavor and drink it slowly and enjoy the company.
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    sipping Blackberry Brandy myself on this cold wintery night... a little goes a long way
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I try to stick with Miller chill because of the 100 calories per bottle.
    Also, there's a Miller Genuine Draft that is only 64 cals. I can't remember if I've ever had this one, so I can't tell you anything about taste.

When in doubt, I try looking at this
    http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/slideshow-best-beers

hope it helps in any case.
  • BlueDahlia77
    Options
    Also, there's a Miller Genuine Draft that is only 64 cals. I can't remember if I've ever had this one, so I can't tell you anything about taste.

Thank you sooooooooooooooo much!!! I just looked at the list of beers and found the perfect option and some great tips of how much to limit myself to! :-D
  • mgstl
    mgstl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Gin and diet tonic..... 50 calorie in one ounce gin. None in diet tonic. ..find the tonic with no sodium add lime slice very refreshing
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    I love Guinness. Low in cals and has some body too it, not like a sour water taste. MGD 64 isn't bad, much better than most other light beers out there.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Forget beer - get a 4 pack of red vino, and just sip on that while always having water handy.
    Wine actually has some nutritional benefit in moderation.

That's what I do.
  • 13Natty
    Options

Oh wow tell me they have miller genuine draft in australia????????
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    @13: Not sure. I looked all over google for answers, but a lot of the people who have commented (Yahoo Answers) have some pretty .. ummm.. 'terrific' things to say in response to the question. Sorry I can't be of any help.
  • JasonandMichelle
    Options
    So I go with the Bud55. Not the best beer in the world from a flavor standpoint, but my favorite has over 250. I'd rather have one and stay under 55 cals than have one and be over 250.

But the 250 is WAY better.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    This answer may be worth a grain of salt, but as a beer snob on MFP:

For flavor, you're looking around the 150-180 cals/bottle rule for winter seasonals, lagers, and porters.

Shandies, fruit-flavors, and summer seasonals (if you can find them) are typ. 120-150 cals/bottle.

High APVs of 9%+, Imperials (like Old Rasputin), Cask-aged (like Dogfish Head Palo Santo) and IPAs are in the 175-225/bottle range and are typically NOT good choices if you're minding calories.

For "diet" function, NOT flavor, there are the low calorie options made by the major US breweries.

...If you want a combination of healthfulness and flavor, go for a dry red wine instead of beer.
  • BlueDahlia77
    Options
    Thank you, too, Barney! I'm more of a small brewery drinker myself, so that was so helpful :-)