This weekend.... I CAN!

I've struggled to get my diet and excercise back together for a couple months, despite watching the weight creep up. Last Monday I posted a topic - "Today - I can" I told all of you, that at least for that day, I could stay within my calorie goal and excercise. I got great support. When I wanted to give up, I felt accountable because of that post. Now it's Friday, and I had a GREAT week. I ate well and I worked out. I feel amazing and in control for the first time in months, but now it's Friday. I fear the weekends.

I started my weight loss journey in August of 2010, and lost 30 lbs in the first 5 months. Since then, I've allowed about ten of those to come back. I was still "on a plan" throughout 2011. I eat great Mon through Friday afternoon, and I am eating enough and am very satisfied. Then the weekend comes, I don't know what happens to me. I eat like a pig, devouring whole bags of oreos and more taco bell than any one person should eat. I tell myself, "just this one meal"; but the binging goes on and on. It's sad, really. Come Monday a.m., I am right back where I was the Monday before; only I feel even worse about myself. I don't track anything, because I often don't even know how much I ate. (And, I've never confessed this!)

So here I am telling all of you - This weekend I will log everything I put in mouth, even if it's shameful. This weekend, I will not undo the week's hard work. This weekend will end with me feeling proud and on top of the world. This weekend - I CAN!

Replies

• You SO can!! If I can, you can LOL! My advice would be to decide first thing both days what you are gong to eat, plan it out, and don't stray!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    I freely admit I overeat on weekends but logging it all helps me to feel more accountable for what I eat and keeps things within reason most of the time. Good luck!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,115 Member
    The same happens to me I do not know what happens because the weekends we should have tons of time to workout right? I always find an excuse not to and I snack that is my downfall. I know how you feel when you get on the scale that Monday all that work you did the week before was for nothing.
  • I have the same problem! This will be my first weekend on MFP so I am going to believe I can do it and get through it!
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    i do splurge on weekends too. It helps to log EVERYTHING you eat. I also move a bit more on the weekends too. No real official work out but shopping, cleaning, yard work, running the kids everywhere. We are also remodeling our house which helps too. I usually do not lose over a weekend and quite often gain a pound or 2. Most of this is water weight. I have set my official weigh in day on Wednesdays so I do not get discouraged by this gain at the beginning of the week.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    If you can, so can I!

Weekends are so hard...I, too, tend to overeat and binge and then feel gross on Monday am...

I have been working really hard the past 10 days to get the scale to move and don't want to ruin it...I have a cookie swap to go to on Sunday which is really going to test me....

We can help keep each other accountable!
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    I think thats the best way to stop doing it IMO. I have my days as well and I know when I am being bad, but I have logged everyday and everything bc its a reality check when I see how much I ate and its made me pay more attention to serving sizes. If you keep logging even your worst days than slowly your worst days will become better and better. Everyone has to fall off the wagon occasionally or it wouldn't be a lifestyle change, but when you are consistently doing it you are only hurting yourself. You can do this! Logging ftw! =D
  • Your not alone here, I am in the same boat and it surely would sink if it were not for my accountability to many right here, such as you. Hang in there, and we all will make it.

I pray on days like this that I can just have the strength to continue. And..scales please start moving again.
  • I hear you girl. Done this same thing before, but not this time because I can and so can you. It's all about change, slow gradual change. If you really have to go on a binge, just have a little bit of something you love, put the rest of it away or throw it away (although I've been known to pick it out of the trash, yuk). If you can do it the other 5 days of the week, you can do it on the weekends too. If you get that urge come back to us and let us help you get through it. MFP helps me stay on track because it holds me accountable for what I do and what I eat every day. No one here to criticize just to help as we know all your struggles.

I have been obese since I was a child. I was the person who went from drive thru to drive thru, who would eat an entire pie or cake, bag of chips, box of chocolates and anything else I could find. When I couldn't control it I would go through phases of anorexia and then bulimia back and forth. Let me say though I never exercised either until I turned 30, but then of course became obsessed with that tagged onto the eating disorders. I've lost over 100 pounds 3 times, but always seemed to gain it back when I went back to old habits. Well now I'm done with that. This has been the hardest thing I have ever done, but I tell you mentally and physically I feel better than I ever have doing it this way. I still have another 20 pounds to go until my goal, but I will continue on this journey and am happy to have all the support and friendships I have made with MFP. I never want to be that sad uncomfortable lonely person again. Come along and join on my journey as I'd love to be a part of yours! Mind over matter girlfriend! good luck stay strong
  • I totally understand about eating a lot on the weekends. I am a mother of 5 girls, 2 are his, 2 are mine and 1 is ours. Every other weekend we only have the ours, and that's when we go out to eat. I log everything, during the weekday I do very well, even on the weekends when we have all 5 girls here. I am trying to get them to eat salads, which surprisingly they all love, even the 3 yr old. But when the 4 are not here, we do pig out at restaurants. Knowing that I have to log it in though really helps, because with that, I do try to watch the amount and what I eat. Log in every time you eat something this weekend, all weekend and you will find that you start to watch and become more conscious about what you eat before you eat it.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    I think, for me, weekends can be harder because they are not as structured or organized. Yes, I have plans and a bit of a schedule, but nothing like during the week. There is more "free" time which can be dangerous when one used to eat during that because they were bored. It's also when people around me like to go out and eat. So during the weekend is when my cheat meal usually comes into play (this weekend will be pizza from a local place though I hope to only eat 2 pieces and then, if I am still hungry, some baby carrots with fat free ranch).

Maybe some more organization to the weekend would help. Plan what you are doing and make sure you have meals and snacks ready to go so you are not making the dreaded stop at Taco Bell or eating a bag of Oreos. If you are struggling, then come here and read some posts or something else to get your mind off the food. If you REALLY want something, then have a portion controlled amount of it. Depriving yourself 100% will only lead to a binge on it later (or, at least it does me). So, it is better and healthier to have a little bit now then a lot more later.