Any tips???

Options
I have just stopped a 20 a day smoking habit (3 days ago). Any tips as how to not overeat now iv stopped. I feel as if i want to pick at food all the time.I obviously dont want to wreck my new eating habits and i certainly dont want to return to smoking.
Any advice would be so appreciated.

Pamela xxx:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Binkylove
    Binkylove Posts: 161
    Options
    I have just stopped a 20 a day smoking habit (3 days ago). Any tips as how to not overeat now iv stopped. I feel as if i want to pick at food all the time.I obviously dont want to wreck my new eating habits and i certainly dont want to return to smoking.
    Any advice would be so appreciated.

Pamela xxx:flowerforyou:
  • pbjsand
    pbjsand Posts: 58
    Options
    First of all KUDOS to you for stopping smoking. I think quitting smoking is harder than losing weight. When I quit in 2007 I gained about 24 pounds till my doctor said my weight had to come off. So, I started exercising and counting calories and that was easier than I thought. However, I did find myself needing to do something to keep me from smoking and eating. I made a pact with myself that whenever I wanted a cigarette, I would do some sort of exercise and not head to the kitchen. I found keeping me busy kept me out of the kitchen and away from temptation. It's a long slow process. I still have a ways to reach my goal and although it's been 2 years I still want a smoke now and then. But I FEEL way better and my body functions better with the weight off and no smoking. Hang in there! Choose to do something else besides pick at food. Go for a walk. Do jumping jacks, etc......
  • sdwillis35
    sdwillis35 Posts: 40
    Options
    I quit smoking...let's see it will be 1 month on this coming Wednesday. I know exactly how you're feeling. I'm actually using the Nicoderm patch. It has helped me alot. My problem was what to do with my hands. For the first couple weeks (don't laugh) I rub a small smooth rock between my fingers every time I wanted a cigarette. Occassionally I'd pop a sugar free Breathsaver mint in my mouth. These tings have seemed to help me. Good luck on your journey because that is what the first week and a half seemed like to me! That sounds discouraging, but it s already worth it.

People have said I smell better, I definitely can smell things better,...the only down fall is food actually begins to taste better. That isn't a plus for us when we're trying to lose weight too!

Good Luck!

Holler if you need me!

Steph
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    have you seen those electronic cigarettes?? I know of several people who have quit using this---they come with nicotine cartridges in high medium low and none---you can put one in your mouth and satisfy the oral fix calorie free---it may mean you end up chewing pencils but it is working for them!!
  • bevjack1
    bevjack1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! It's really tough to quit and not gain weight. When I quit (many many years ago)
    I kept fresh squeezed orange juice on my desk and everytime I wanted a cigarette, I took a sip of juice
    instead. There's something about the citric that makes the tissues in your mouth feel like they're
    getting nicotine. Another trick I used was a plastic cigarette, which was always in my mouth. I was
    a 3 pack a day smoker, and went thru withdrawal in ways you can't imagine, but I stopped. I was very
    proud of myself, and have never been more grateful to myself for anything. It's a killer. I DID gain
    20 lbs. (but I was thin) and it DID come off after about 8 months, so don't beat yourself up too hard if
    you gain a few, but staying on MyFitnessPal will definitely help. Best of luck, I hope you make it. It's a whole new lease on life.