EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED AND CONFUSED!!!

Options
Have been on a Plateau since JUNE!!!

Can you believe it June????

I drink 8 cups of water a day, I work out at least 4 times a week (elliptical & Zumba and sometimes Bikram Yoga) and i log in my food!!!!!

WHAT IS GOING ON?!

I have had to hide the scale because if and when I do weigh myself I get so upset, my whole day is RUINED.

How can one work so hard with NO results?!?!

Should I stop eating my exercise calories? Should I zig-zag? Should I fast?

SO MAD I COULD SCREAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

E:explode:

Replies

• Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    Not that I'm very experienced in this but from what I've read on here you may need to mix it up a little with your exercises/foods and calorie intake, don't be down about it hun (easier said than done I know!!) and be proud that you are maintaining what you have already lost and you haven't put any on :-)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    For one, I can't see your diary, so I really don't have much to base my "expert" opinions on.

Sometimes exercise calories can be overstated and you have to be very careful to measure portions, etc. The times I've been stuck at a weight (which was most of this past summer) I was getting sloppy about measuring portions.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    *THIS IS A SLIGHTLY EDITED VERSION OF A MAIL I SENT A FRIEND YESTERDAY*

I was stuck at the same weight area of about 2-3lbs for 80 days. Yes. 80 Days. It sucked! I had focused on making sure I got at least 100g of protein, tried focusing on water, tried eating less, exercising more. Nothing helped. Finally I got the clue after once again after a cheat day it fluctuated down. I went through my calories and discovered I was consistently lower than my calorie goal by 100-300 on the typical day. Here and there if I had a cheat day I would go to about 2500 calories which isn't much higher than maintenance, so it didn't make a difference. But those days I went way over I lost weight.

As soon as I focused on getting within 50 calories of my calorie goal I started dropping weight like crazy. I lost about 4lbs in three days, and 2 of those stayed off. Since then I've been consistently losing weight and I still get plenty of sugar. :D

1. Reset your calorie goal because you may have reached the point where your body isn't willing to lose the fat because it thinks you are in a state of famine/near starving times. Double check your activity level and set it right.

2. Try to get at least 100 grams of protein every day.

3. Eat your calories within 50 of your daily goal. I go over/under daily, but stay within that 50 calorie window if I go below.

Since I've been sticking to that, I've lost 6lbs and its only been a couple weeks.

If these things don't try, mix that with some HIIT training (the best/fastest way to lose actual "Fat").

This is what worked, after nothing else did. Good Luck Sweetheart :)

*Thats the story of my whole crazy plateau situation, it might not be the answer for you because I didn't get to peek at your diary, but it took me forever and lots of crying sessions to stick it through until I figured it out.*
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    you could be losing inches and still weight the same
  • phoebe2488
    phoebe2488 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I plateaued for a bit and found that I had to actually eat more calories. I did the whole zigzag method (google it) and I think it helped. I am by no means an expert though. Good luck! It definitely is frustrating!
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You need to switch up your workouts. Your body is used to the activities you are doing plus you need to add some strength training. You need to build some muscle which will keep your metabolism higher and help your body burn more calories.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    since i can't see your food diary, and i know that losing weight is 80% nutrition, i'm going to venture a guess that you probably aren't eating enough food, probably not eating the right food, and not eating back exercise calories.

sometimes people get into diet mode and think all they can eat is egg whites and veggies. you need a balance of everything, even carbs and some sugars/sweets. you have probably made the mistake that some many women have made here and have their calorie goals set too low (i.e. 1200) and you would benefit from eating something like 14000-1500.
  • jasonnjamer
    jasonnjamer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with snookumss. the same thing happend to me. so i also for a whole week went under and over my calories just to see what it would do and i did gain a little at first but then i suddenly seen the scale start to drop. and i couldnt be happier! Good luck!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Have been on a Plateau since JUNE!!!

Can you believe it June????

I drink 8 cups of water a day, I work out at least 4 times a week (elliptical & Zumba and sometimes Bikram Yoga) and i log in my food!!!!!

WHAT IS GOING ON?!

I have had to hide the scale because if and when I do weigh myself I get so upset, my whole day is RUINED.

How can one work so hard with NO results?!?!

Should I stop eating my exercise calories? Should I zig-zag? Should I fast?

SO MAD I COULD SCREAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

E:explode:

How are you calculating calories burned? If you are not using a HRM I would suggest only eating 75% back
    Are you measuring and weighing your food? If not get a kitchen scale and start now, you may be eating more than you think you are.
    Is your weekly weight loss goal correct for the amount you have to lose. Please see this guide to setting ideal weekly weight loss goals based on how much you have to lose:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    I agree with the above. If you are being really careful about weighing your portions and burning more than you eat, and you still aren't losing, I'd check with a physician. Other than that, hard to say.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    maybe try mixing up your workouts..OR what i do, up your cals a little..it sounds scary, but i have had to do it at least 3 or 4 times this year, and it works..i can see why you must be frustrated..if i plateau for a week or 2, im annoyed..maybe you can try a little of everything, and see what works best for you..good luck:drinker:
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My plateau has been since August. I actually mysteriously regained some weight. I'm 51 years old and do cardio 4-6 days a week, watch calories, etc. and have the same frustration at the scale. I can only assume it has to do with menopause and will hang in there. I have 30 lbs, to go to get to goal. I gave up trying to figure out what's up with that.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I really love that everyone on here gives such great and helpful advice. As others said, if you aren't getting enough calories your body goes into starvation mode and you won't lose weight. Try mixing up your diet, and exercise routine as well. :)
  • gracielee1
    gracielee1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Definitely the last 10 pounds is the hardest to lose. I'm struggling with that myself. The "stress" makes me revert to bad habits i.e. eating junk food, so that's not helping! It may take a long time. What I've found to be helpful is to do most of the physical activity (and eating) during the day, and then just wind down with a very light dinner and relaxation before bed time. Also, maybe you should try a spinning class, or something new and high impact. See if that helps. I'm going to pick up a kickboxing and spinning class this month to see if that kicks up my metabolism a notch to get my weight loss back on track.
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    increase your water by half-again. lower ur sodium. break ur meals in half. eat them at two different sittings a couple hrs apart. do something completely different for your workouts. really mix things up. this is the stubborn chub--confuse the crud out of it, and maybe it will be sent packing. just a few ideas. good luck, and DON'T GIVE UP.
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    since i can't see your food diary, and i know that losing weight is 80% nutrition, i'm going to venture a guess that you probably aren't eating enough food, probably not eating the right food, and not eating back exercise calories.

sometimes people get into diet mode and think all they can eat is egg whites and veggies. you need a balance of everything, even carbs and some sugars/sweets. you have probably made the mistake that some many women have made here and have their calorie goals set too low (i.e. 1200) and you would benefit from eating something like 14000-1500.

Hey,

I agree with you about losing weight being about nutrition as well...Trust me...I eat it all...in moderation!

I usually cut my the exercise calories by 30%..So when my elliptical says 1,000 calories burned, i log in 700...and so on...

I do eat my exercise calories back...I am thinking that if my food is more than I think and if my exercise calories are lower...then voila..Here is the problem :(

However, why was I able to lose 25?

Thanks for the support :)

E
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Strength Training!! If all you're doing is cardio, eventually your body will adapt. You need to build muscle, which in turn will boost your metabolism, and melt that fat away. I'm not talking curls with 2 lb dumbells either. Lift heavy. It'll work. Also, I do agree with what people have said about your nutrition. Just giving some exercise advice.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

Hey,

I agree with you about losing weight being about nutrition as well...Trust me...I eat it all...in moderation!

I usually cut my the exercise calories by 30%..So when my elliptical says 1,000 calories burned, i log in 700...and so on...

I do eat my exercise calories back...I am thinking that if my food is more than I think and if my exercise calories are lower...then voila..Here is the problem :(

However, why was I able to lose 25?

Thanks for the support :)

E

well, the big initial weight loss is mostly due to body shock. for me, the first 20 pounds just melted off, mostly because of what i was eating, but also because of the cardio i was doing.

i wish i knew then what i knew know, and i would've incorporated strength training sooner rather then later.

if you don't have a food scale, get one. i'd get one before getting an HRM. if you have a food scale, get that heart rate monitor.

but you said something right before. many ppl tend to overestimate how much they exercise, and under estimate how much they eat.

by the way, i've you heard about staci? staci is awesome. http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    woah!!!!!! Staci is so right on. Get stronger, not skinnier-YA!!!!!! Thanks for sharing that link Engineman.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    you could be losing inches and still weight the same

Not for 6 months and without weight training.

Like most have said; switch up your exercise routine, and also at least once a week, eat maintenance or just over maintenance calories.