Eat more to lose weight ... whodda thunk!

Options
I've been on MFP for 6 months now. Was losing an average of 1 - 1.5 lbs per week. I decided over the holidays to give myself a little bit of a break and up my calories to maintenance level just to allow a little "indulging" at all the family and work celebrations. First week at maintenance calories my weight stayed the same. Second week I lost 1 pound. This week .... I've dropped 4 pounds!!! All with no change in activity level.

Boggles the mind, doesn't it? Think I'm going to stay at the higher calorie level for awhile and see how things play out. Maybe I wasn't quite giving my body what it needed for energy before ... enough to drop a little weight but not enough to be as efficient as possible.

Replies

• amber_bamber09
    amber_bamber09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow that is incredible. I've been on here for about 2 weeks now and i'm down almost 3 pounds. I wish I could have a 4 pound loss in one week! haha. I've heard people talk about eating too little making you gain or stay the same weight. I think the body goes into starvation mode and packs on whatever it can get. haha. maybe i'll up my calories (healthy foods of course) and see if it works for me 2. what do i have to lose except the weight right?
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    That's great. Just out of curiosity how much were u eating before vs. now?
  • Isrn2
    Isrn2 Posts: 160
    Options
    It wasn't a huge change ... went from 2230 cal/day to 2400 cal/day. But it was enough to make a difference.
  • slick8
    Options
    it's good to eat more every once in awhile :) it shakes up your body so it never adjusts to the same diet and it keeps you losing weight more often. just don't keep it up for a long amount of time - it may creep up on you!
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    I think that it also considered calorie zig-zagging too...maybe
    If you notice at some point your body gets used to the increase in calories take it back down.
    keep up your workout at all times until you reach a plateau then change up ur workout!
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Your weightloss is inspiring
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!