ok, totally CONFUSED!

Options
Ok, so I started my MFP quest some two weeks ago.......I started out at 174. I lost 3 pounds last week, which is great.

This week is what I'm totally confused about!!! I get on the scale on 12/7, it says I now weighed 165, um awesome! I felt so proud of myself. I get on the scale the next day, it read 169.......then I got on the scale this morning, it read 171??!?!?!!? WTF?

How could I fluctuate in weight that much in a week or even a matter of days?! So now according to my scale, I'm only 3 pounds away from when I started! :(

Talk about frustrating and almost discouraging! I've been working hard every day............and no, I know that I can't lose 20 pounds in two weeks, it'll take time......just like it took time to get this weight on.......it'll take time to get it off!

Anybody have any insight to this annoying weirdness?? Sigh.........

Replies

• lthomas42
    lthomas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When are you weighing yourself? Is it the same time every day? If not, that's probably why. The moment you've had even a glass of water in the morning your weight shoots up.
  • SoonToBeHealthNut
    SoonToBeHealthNut Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i have this same problem too sometimes but i do weight myself at the same time...... right after i wake up and shower i get on the scale ....but still everyday might be different there are days that are about the same and it makes sence but other days i have no idea whats going on with the scale
  • GPSHEALTHCOACHING
    GPSHEALTHCOACHING Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Weight fluxuations like that are water!!! You can't possibly gain or lose lbs of fat that fast. Think of the mass that a lb of butter is..... You just can't possibly gain or lose 3-5 of them that fast. I'd wait 3 days than weigh in again & watch your sodium too.....
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Make sure your scale is on a hard surface everytime. Weigh yourself at the same time of day naked, because you don't ware the same cloths everyday.
  • earlgreygirl09
    Options
    Yeah, I'm weighing myself at the same time of day each time......and before I eat breakfast.
  • bruthacuervo
    bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i would suggest weighing just once a week, or bi-weekly, monthly...

The body will fluctuate naturally and sometimes the weight gain is not a BAD thing (muscle repair), but the psychological effects of seeing the scale move that way can cause some to "fall off the wagon" that day, and start down that path of having a bad day, then another, then another (quicksand effect) and that causes you to fall even deeper.

bottom line the body is gonna do this, its not unheard of to have 5 pound swings.

at very least, id adapt a measure daily, record once philosophy.
  • earlgreygirl09
    Options
    So maybe if I drink more water/watch my sodium intake, things will even themselves out?
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are so frustrated that sucks, but keep in mind that you have still lost an average of 1.5lbs per week. That's wonderful.