I feel like I've plateaued and I've barely started

Options
I lost 6lbs very, very quickly. Most of it was probably just water weight, and I felt really proud of myself. But for the past two weeks I've been hovering at 154/155. I have a feeling I just need to up my water intake, but any other ideas of what I may want to do to jump start things is greatly appreciated.

I'm eating about 1200-1400 calories a day, most of it veg and lean protein. Luckily for me I loved veggies and fish before MFP. I'm also walking more and snacking way less.

I weigh myself in the morning when I get up. I don't get discouraged when I step on the scale, but it can be frustrating to see the needle in the same spot every day.

Any suggestions or ideas to help get things moving would be great! I want to fit into my old clothes.

Replies

• kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    First of all - you just started! Looks like you're doing the right things - the body takes a little bit of time to adjust! Don't sweat it!
    Secondly, ask yourself a few questions... are you eating enough? are you exercising?

Also - I wouldn't weigh yourself every day. Your weight will fluctuate day by day... I'd stick to weighing yourself on the same day every week.

Good luck!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a food scale. You'll be surprised when you see what a true portion is.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a food scale. You'll be surprised when you see what a true portion is.

This.
  • amber_bamber09
    amber_bamber09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sorry to bump in uninvited haha but I would just like to say thanks. I will now start weighing myself once a week instead of everyday. the scale is so discouraging somedays when my numbers are like a rollercoaster.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Your body has to adjust to what you're doing..... and you may want to eat more.... I don't know how much you weigh, but 1200 is the bare minimum a woman should eat - 1400 is probably pushing it. I have been eating steady 1600-2000 depending on the day and have been dropping weight for a year (down 94.8 pounds since January 1 2011). Most people think that to lose weight you don't eat - but in reality, your body is a machine and you MUST feed it properly....
  • lthomas42
    lthomas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Oh don't worry. I actually use to work in a nutrition clinic. Portions aren't the concern, I measure out most of what I eat, but try not to go crazy with it.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

Oh don't worry. I actually use to work in a nutrition clinic. Portions aren't the concern, I measure out most of what I eat, but try not to go crazy with it.

Heck, even the dietitians don't stack up so well when studied in the research for calorie reporting accuracy. But if you truly believe you're in a deficit, then simply be more patient. It'll come off. And if it doesn't, after a month or two, you know that you were mistaken.
  • lthomas42
    lthomas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to try upping my calories a bit. I dropped them a bit after a big Christmas binge and then the scale hasn't moved. When I was eating a few more calories a day I was losing very quickly.

I almost feel like I've been making too good of choices some days, as I am satisfied at 1200 calories or less some days! I have almost zero desire to snack after my meals, which I've been basing around protein and fruits and veggies.

I also kept track of my water the last few days and it's not near enough.

Thanks for the advice, but anything else is always welcome!
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Increase cardio