Exercise....Is it a mood lifter???

Options
I've started noticing a pattern lately. When I do not exercise, I tend to become engulfed in the 'blues'. Over the last week I have been really busy with various responsibilities and didnt' have time to fit in a regular workout. I literally didn't have time so I skipped it. Within 3 days I started to feel somewhat blah. Lethargic, sad, hormonal, depressed. By day 7 (today) all I wanted to do was stay in the bed and pull the covers over my head and weep. I actually found myself tearing up over absolutely nothing the last couple of days with no idea why. So......it suddenly occurred to me that in the past, when I stopped exercising, I recall becoming somewhat "sad". I usually blamed it on hormones. But this time, every day it was getting worse! So I went and pulled on my shoes and hit the pavement and 50 minutes later, I feel like a have a new lease on life! Crummy sad mood is lifted. I feel like I can actually get through the day with a smile on my face.

So I'm curious.......Anybody else ever experience this? (In particular women?) You know, turning around a "mood" simply by exerting yourself physically? I've never really been one of those people that got that "exercise high" they talk about but I'm starting to think there really must be something to it.

In any case, I'm not gonna be skipping that workout from here on out! Not cause it makes me lose weight but more because of the way it makes me feel on an emotional level. There is more than physical fitness at stake here.

Replies

• oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES - I hate when I go to many todays without working out!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm a happy person anyway but when I work out or especially run, it makes such a huge difference in how you feel. Those endorphins really get you feeling high. I love it!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yep... endorphins are the best thing no one ever talks about in regards to exercise/working out.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    When your exercise, your body releases endorphins, which are "feel-good" hormones. They lift your mood and make you feel happy.

I've been unable to exercise since the day before Thanksgiving (had gallbladder surgery), and I've felt absolutely lazy and and have had a case of "the blues" (the cold weather doesn't help either!). The doctor gave me permission this week to start walking (nothing else), and it felt so good to be back doing SOMETHING. I can't wait to get back to doing more, though; I think the amount of exercise correlates to how much endorphin is released. The harder I work out, the stronger the "workout high" seems to be.

Hey, we could solve the drug problem and the obesity problem in this country all in one fell swoop...just get everybody exercising (I know, easier said than done...)!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    For me it's not a "mood lifter" per say, but I do like excercising because it helps with my stress levels. And the better I handle my stress, the less my ulcer acts up, which in turn I guess makes me happier :)
  • Spearo
    Spearo Posts: 47
    Options
    Dopamine is what we love!
    Even more so in winter.

Cheers,
    Erik
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    a few years ago I was treated for an anxiety disorder, one of the things my therapist had me do was read a book about anxiety. I learned a lot about it. One of the best things you can do for anxiety is to exercise. I also learned that another big help for anxiety is action, exercise is certainly active!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    yes and it helps me with muscle stiffness etc the rest of the day.. although I'm finding it harder to initially drag myself out of bed cos its dark and cold now.. once I get up and am few minutes into routine I start feeling more awake and much more energetic the rest of the day.

In fact I used to get as you described the week before monthlies start suddenly tearful with no idea why.. I assumed it was my hormones and just comforted myself with chocolate or a brandy and coke. This time I've been exercising everyday throughout and I've just suddenly realised I haven't all that happen yet (the crying over nothing thing) and the fatigue hasn't been as bad either or the stomach cramps... in fact I haven't had any cramps yet and they usually start to kick in just before they start.

It hasn't stopped my chocolate cravings but at least I'm working off the calories I'm eating.. lol!
  • AriannaTiyen42
    AriannaTiyen42 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Endorphins endorphins.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    definitely a mood lifter. i had to take some time off from exercise last week and this week, i've been in a much better mood and have more drive and energy to do things.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    when i don't exercise, i have mood swings and also have more trouble getting to sleep. when i exercise i am usually asleep by 10:30pm and i'm dead to the world till 7am, which is one of the reasons i stay so active. i get restless when i don't exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    I've started noticing a pattern lately. When I do not exercise, I tend to become engulfed in the 'blues'. Over the last week I have been really busy with various responsibilities and didnt' have time to fit in a regular workout. I literally didn't have time so I skipped it. Within 3 days I started to feel somewhat blah. Lethargic, sad, hormonal, depressed. By day 7 (today) all I wanted to do was stay in the bed and pull the covers over my head and weep. I actually found myself tearing up over absolutely nothing the last couple of days with no idea why. So......it suddenly occurred to me that in the past, when I stopped exercising, I recall becoming somewhat "sad". I usually blamed it on hormones. But this time, every day it was getting worse! So I went and pulled on my shoes and hit the pavement and 50 minutes later, I feel like a have a new lease on life! Crummy sad mood is lifted. I feel like I can actually get through the day with a smile on my face.

So I'm curious.......Anybody else ever experience this? (In particular women?) You know, turning around a "mood" simply by exerting yourself physically? I've never really been one of those people that got that "exercise high" they talk about but I'm starting to think there really must be something to it.

In any case, I'm not gonna be skipping that workout from here on out! Not cause it makes me lose weight but more because of the way it makes me feel on an emotional level. There is more than physical fitness at stake here.
    There have been many studies done on how exercise affects the brain. In almost all cases, mood was better after because of endorphin and dopamine levels.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MissMisery1313
    Options
    Absolutely.

I always have a nice buzz after a workout. :bigsmile:
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yep... endorphins are the best thing no one ever talks about in regards to exercise/working out.

I am an endorphin addict - love that high!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

^^ THIS
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options

So true!

Natural high, and stress reliever!
  • pyiiwakitt
    Options
    :smile: I got serious about exercising back in August. Now I'm at the point now that I have to go to the gym and workout for at least an hour each day, every other day I do circuit training and cardio everyday. I too am generally a happy person but with excercise I feel awesome all the time. For me the arc trainer is the best way to get cardio and a great workout, I have bad knees so running/ walking is a waist of time for me because I couldn't move fast enough to get my heart rate up to burn calories. All you need to do is keep at it and expect more from yourself than you have in the past and you will suceed and get that workout 'high'.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Same boat as the OP! I have a very positive *aura* each day (especially right after) doing regular exercise.
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    Yes 100%! Exactly the same as you :) I now know just to get a good workout in when feeling down. It's tough when away somewhere without the usual DVDs and exercise classes but even a walk can help I think. Something to do with the release of serotonin and endorphins so I guess it is hormonal?!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you. I'm at the point now where I want to exercise to feel better mentally more so than the physical pay-off. I've dealt with anxiety and depression for over 10 years and have seen countless doctors, psych-professionals, and they all have told me exercise!