Modified HMR Program

Options
Is anyone on here using the HMR Program, or a modified version of it?

I am doing a modified version of the program because I feel the full program is too harsh on the body and I don't see how it can be easy to keep the weight off after the initial weeks. Really? Only 500 calories? That just cannot be healthy. Besides, I need to eat/chew. Just shakes for 6-8 weeks would be impossible for me. I want to lose weight but I also know my limitations!

Anyway, I have modified it to 2-3 shakes per day with 5 fruits or vegetables and a max of 1200 calories per day. Plus, a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise.

Thoughts?

Replies

• RobynH1234
    RobynH1234 Posts: 13
    Options
    Great plan.. Healthy fruits and veggies will help you Feel great!!

I'm here just started HMr and found the 5 shakes a day plan was hard.. I like to chew also... So my dinners are healthy and with the family..

Cheers...
  • RobynH1234
    RobynH1234 Posts: 13
    Options
    hanging in there... hope all is well for you.....
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I am on the HMR program and swear by it. The shakes are great, they encourage veggies and exercise. It is how I lost 70lbs. I started it 10/13/10. I now am on the the modified, where I stick to 1200 (give or take) and exercise for an hour nearly every day. When I started HMR, I was rock bottom. I followed their program and with their help, started exercising 10 minutes a day. Then increased it as I lost weight and it was a blessing to me. I never was asked to do 500 cal/day. Mine was thru a healthplan where I saw a MD and took nutrition classes every week. It was always having the shakes and their meal replacements. Good luck to you. :smile:
  • JoMFrasca
    JoMFrasca Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have been on the HMR program since April 15th and it is by far the most successful weight loss program I have ever done. I did the medically supervised program, often referred to as Decision Free. It starts off with 5 shakes a day and then after 6 weeks, I added one of their entrees a day. I have varied from 550 to 850 calories a day and never been hungry or felt weak. It is so easy to do and really works. I have lost 40 pounds and am now in transition to what they call Phase 2, which is maintenance, although many people continue to lose weight. This week I am eating 3 shakes, 2 entrees and fruits and vegetables every day -- about 900 to 1000 calories.

I have about 10 more cushion pounds I would like to lose. But right now, I am 4 clothing sizes down, went from high blood pressure with medication to normal blood pressure with no medication and dropped more than 100 points on my cholesterol. I feel ten years younger. I am now exercising regularly and feeling in good shape. If you really want to lose significant weight, this is a great program. I tried Lindora, Nutrisytem and a host of others that did not work or that I could not stick to before I found this one.

They offer these programs through hospitals and medical centers. You are medically supervised, with weekly doctor visits whilee on the Very Low Calorie Diet portion. This has been a life saver for me!
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am starting the HMR program on Monday (8/15). Simple choices, 3 shakes, 5 fruits/veggies, protein, healthy fat and a few other things. I am a little scared about the 1200 calories, seems kind of low.
  • JoMFrasca
    Options
    Don't be scared. The first week or 2 is an adjustment but after that you will never feel better. You will not be hungry, really. You eat every 2-3 hours. And HMR's motto is "More Is Better.". That means that the 3+2+5 are a Minimum -- if you are hungry you are free and encouraged to eat more shakes, entrees or fruits/veggies. It really works!

Also check out the HMR Diet Facebook page . You will not only get a lot of support and encouragement there, they have great recipes and diet tips. It is a very nice and supportive group that posts there.
  • Goose28in
    Options
    Thanks for the information. My wife and I start tomorrow, I am actually READY to start.
  • nicolemariedwyer
    nicolemariedwyer Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just started the diet today, the plan wasn't covered by my healthcare and it was too expensive so I bought the shakes and am following the plan on my own because I have to.
    Any pointers for starting out?
  • JoMFrasca
    Options
    I just started the diet today, the plan wasn't covered by my healthcare and it was too expensive so I bought the shakes and am following the plan on my own because I have to.
    Any pointers for starting out?

It is expensive but the medical supervision and classes add a lot. If you are not able to do that, I think your only safe option is to do the Healthy Solutions at Home version, which is AT LEAST 3 shakes/soup/cereals + 2 HMR entrees + 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. It is not advisable to do shakes only on your own. There is a lot of tweaking that goes on during the program if you are on shakes only by the medical team that sees you.

Check out the HMR Diet Facebook page -- there is a very supportive community there. Also HMR's main website has a lot of good recipes and information. Be sure to eat every 2-3 hours and don't let yourself get hungry. The motto is "More Is Better" -- which means if you are hungry, have another shake, entree, veggie. The 3+2+5 is s minimum and you can have as much as you need so you are not hungry and you will still lose weight.

Also, there are many recipes to make the shakes and entrees more interesting. Make your shakes with lots of ice for high volume and you can flavor them wiith sugar free Torani or Davinci syrups and 1 tablespoon fat free sugar free jello pudding. Check out the many recipes under the Notes section of the Facebook page and the HMR website. And hang in there! The forst two weeks are an adjustment but after that, it is so easy and you should never be hungry. Hope that helps.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I agree with the above. I was on it for about 6mo, but then financially I couldnt keep going to the classes. I am still doing the shakes and veggies. Its like a phase 1 and 2 combined and my son is now doing it with me. I swear by it. But you need to record everything you do and exercise daily. I started out at 10 minutes a day and now I walk everyday at lunch for a 60 minute powerwalk. Sometimes on weekends I go for a 6 mile hike. It was the best thing that ever happened to me.(Besides my kids, you know what I mean):bigsmile: It gave me my life back. Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Goose28in
    Options
    Thanks for the information. My wife and I start tomorrow, I am actually READY to start.

My wife and I started the HMR plan on August 15th. So far so good, I don't have the cravings that I thought I would have. I have lost 53 lbs and my wife is down 32 lbs.
  • JoMFrasca
    Options
    Wow! Great job by both of you! I am glad it is working and you can do it. Hang in there over the holidays. If you are doing it through a clinic you are undoubtedly finding that they give you tremendous support. If you are on your own, check of the HMR website and their Facebook page for a great virtual community support network. Keep up the good work!
  • Alyshahmr
    Options
    I am really having a problem finding people who are doing the HMR Diet. I really like it and find it fulfilling. I just wish there were more people to discuss it with.
  • JoMFrasca
    Options
    Have you checked out the HMR Diet page on Facebook? There is a good community there, lots of posting, support, suggestions and advice. I post there regularly and have made many friends who have shared their positive experiences losing weight through HMR. I highly recommemd it.
  • PeanutsMamaTx
    PeanutsMamaTx Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have done the HMR program in the past (2004-2005), and I restarted the "Decision Free" plan on October 19. Since then I have lost 40 lbs. The "prescription" that you are given is a minimum; mine is 5-6 shakes. That means that is the minimum that I can have; more is better. There are people in my class that are getting by on shakes alone; this was what "Decision Free" meant when I was on the program in 2004-2005, but now they have a lot of other options that are considered on the program - their entrees and multigrain cereal are "in the box."
  • strongandhealthy78
    strongandhealthy78 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Please, please add me. I'm on an HMR program where I can eat other foods too. My goal is 1200 calories a day. I would love to have some friends who are also doing a medically-supervised diet. Best, A
  • chinita70
    chinita70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm on HMR too, started in Oct 2013i did just 5 shakes a day for about 5 weeks then i was allowed veggies. So that help with missing the chewing, down 32 lbs but i will be happy with another 15-20. There are recipes you can do with HMR Products, I got creative with my shakes and the helped with the boredom.. At the moment i'm in my last week of transition to phase 2 and let me tell you it felt good to have a piece of fruit.. although i'm afraid of gaining some of that weight loss.. I start phase 2 next week. Im looking forward to learning again how to eat healthy as i will be allowed 3 shakes, 2 proteins, 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.. Sounds like a lot so we'll see how i do on this new phase and hopefully continue to loose weight. Good luck on your weight loss journey.. we can do this :smile: Have a blessed day