Protein Hacks

Options
For everyone out there who is eating a higher protein diet or is ensuring their daily protein intake for strength goals / body composition, it's sometimes challenging to get in the requisite amount. I've been aiming for 130-150g/daily on a 1500 calorie per day diet. I like to choose foods with high protein that give me some "bang for my buck" without getting boring. Here's some combos that I like to use as snacks and meals that are high in protein:

Spicy tuna salad:
1 packet spicy flavored tuna (I use the Aldi brand, but Starkist makes one, too)
1 tbsp yogurt or light sour cream
1 tsp. mayo
1 tbsp sugar free sweet relish
-- mix & enjoy! For crunch - add a tbsp of slivered almonds or serve on Ezekial toast

Avocado deviled eggs
2 hardboiled eggs
1/4 avocado
chili sauce
lime juice
-- separate yolks from eggs and mash together with avo, chili, & lime. Place back in the eggs whites & eat.

Protein yogurt
1 6 oz container PLAIN Greek yogurt
1 scoop protein powder
-- mix together and eat. This one is really high in protein and is a great alternative to sugary flavored yogurt. I sometimes add ground flax for extra fiber.

So...what are your food hacks for getting in protein?

Replies

• ondogirl
    ondogirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Very helpful!!! Thanks.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    24 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast 750 cals, 144g protein
  • camillehardeman
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian so it's hard (but not impossible!) to eat a high-protein diet. I try to incorporate daily, or almost daily: whey protein, nonfat plain greek yogurt, nuts, beans, and vegetarian meat replacements (but watch the sodium!). I consider anything less than 75g to be a failure and try to get as close to 100g as I can. Keeping in mind that i'm 5'6, 128ish pounds, and eating at or below maintainence, that's pretty high for me!
  • salmasy
    Options
    ...i thought vegetarians wee generally smart enough not to believe all the crap about needing 1000grams of protein... if your calorie composition is more than 5% you're fine.
    at the time we're growing the fastest our main food (human milk) is only 5% of protein, why in 7 separate hells from asia would you need more than that?
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's either one of two things:

1) a giant steak on the frying pan, broiler, or grill -- usually ~60-100g protein for a 12-16 oz. steak, depending on cut of meat (I can basically eat ribeye all day long ...)
    2) 1 scoop protein powder with 12 oz. soy milk -- about ~36g for the brands I use

I'm a bit boring that way. :)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    ...i thought vegetarians wee generally smart enough not to believe all the crap about needing 1000grams of protein... if your calorie composition is more than 5% you're fine.
    at the time we're growing the fastest our main food (human milk) is only 5% of protein, why in 7 separate hells from asia would you need more than that?

:huh:

Eh?
  • leopardvice
    Options
    For everyone out there who is eating a higher protein diet or is ensuring their daily protein intake for strength goals / body composition, it's sometimes challenging to get in the requisite amount. I've been aiming for 130-150g/daily on a 1500 calorie per day diet. I like to choose foods with high protein that give me some "bang for my buck" without getting boring. Here's some combos that I like to use as snacks and meals that are high in protein:

Spicy tuna salad:
    1 packet spicy flavored tuna (I use the Aldi brand, but Starkist makes one, too)
    1 tbsp yogurt or light sour cream
    1 tsp. mayo
    1 tbsp sugar free sweet relish
    -- mix & enjoy! For crunch - add a tbsp of slivered almonds or serve on Ezekial toast

Avocado deviled eggs
    2 hardboiled eggs
    1/4 avocado
    chili sauce
    lime juice
    -- separate yolks from eggs and mash together with avo, chili, & lime. Place back in the eggs whites & eat.

Protein yogurt
    1 6 oz container PLAIN Greek yogurt
    1 scoop protein powder
    -- mix together and eat. This one is really high in protein and is a great alternative to sugary flavored yogurt. I sometimes add ground flax for extra fiber.

So...what are your food hacks for getting in protein?

ok i hate deviled eggs because im not a big fan of mayo... but the avo eggs sound pretty good. thanks for the tips
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

What? Protein is more muscle sparing when you are cutting.

Science? PFFFT who need science.
    5% protein lol only 18-25g? Yea....
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    No great ideas, but have been trying to increase protein myself. Great ideas.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I like cocktail shrimp for low calorie protien. They are super high in sodium though.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I made some mini cheesecake protein things :] 7g of pro with only55 cals
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/415797-low-cal-protein-cheesecake-truffles
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    I also bought 60 pounds of super-lean grass fed beef, so I'll also eat a half pound of that in some form during dinner to ensure protein intake :happy:
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

Going by that logic we also wouldn't need any fiber.

I do agree that some people take in more protein than is really needed, but you should be getting at least your body weight (in kg, not pounds) in grams of protein.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Avocado deviled eggs?! :love:

I hope it's as good as it sounds!
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    mmmm, literally made my mouth water!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Meat

Herbs are your friends
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Avocado deviled eggs
    2 hardboiled eggs
    1/4 avocado
    chili sauce
    lime juice

OMG this sounds so good. Could you do it with Sriraicha or would that be too hot? What are you amounts for the lime juice and chili? My usual eggs are tasty, but avo sounds super rich and filling!
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wow! Those deviled eggs sound good!
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    Avocado deviled eggs
    2 hardboiled eggs
    1/4 avocado
    chili sauce
    lime juice

OMG this sounds so good. Could you do it with Sriraicha or would that be too hot? What are you amounts for the lime juice and chili? My usual eggs are tasty, but avo sounds super rich and filling!

I use Sriraicha :)

Usually about 3 tsp hot sauce, a small squeeze of lime juice - also optional, a hint of garlic and salt.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Love those ideas...gonna try me some!