calories are calories?

Options

Replies

• VicNeumann
    Options
    Calories are calories but some cause you to be hungry an hour after eating (simple carbs) while others leave you satiated and full much longer.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    calories are calories, but all the bad for you stuff can lead to many many health problems. you can get to skinny eating nothing but chocolate and pizza if you monitor the calories, except you might be left with high blood pressure, high blood sugar, high cholesterol, diabetes, heart attacks, etc.

and as others have mentioned, eating healthier will leave you feelings better with more natural energy and fuller, longer...where as 1200calories of chocolate probably wouldnt fill you up and youd feel like you were starving.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    calories are calories but some make you feel better and you have a lot more energy.

This!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    actually studies have shown that all are not the same. if you eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, your body will burn more during the day metabolism wise.we can process natural foods so much easier than processed. so, our bodies really arent meant to eat all that junk anyway. if you eat clean, you stand a better chance of losing quicker and keeping it off easier. dont ask me which study because of course I cant remember where I read it but it makes sense. when I eat junk but stay in my calorie range, i am hungrier and have a more difficult time keeping on track. when I was on ww they had a program called core in which you dont have to track your calories, just eat anything that isnt processed, only whole grains, and only ff dairy. i lost 30 lbs in a yr. of course after thinking i was cured i put it all back on eating junk!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, yes.

However, there are ways you can structure your diet to make sure you're getting sufficient micronutrients, feeling better, and retaining more lean mass

Correct. Calorie determine how much you gain, or lose. Macros determine what you gain or lose.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    OP: Find ways to fit your favorite foods in!! You may have to enjoy them less often (aka moderation), but there is absolutely no reason to cut anything out of your diet unless you have a disease that demands it.

I lose weight consistently, and I drink beer or wine almost every day. I just make it fit. That's awesome if you ask me.
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Some of the calories IN have a greater impact on the calories OUT.

It is calories in versus calories out, but not every calorie was created equal.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    Calories ARE calories BUT:

Remember the good old saying quality over quantity. I rather have a high calorie meal if I ate the right amount of stuff than be low in calories but they're all empty calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, yes.

However, there are ways you can structure your diet to make sure you're getting sufficient micronutrients, feeling better, and retaining more lean mass

^ This
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Of course not; that's ABSURD, and I think you know that.
    If some wanna-be health guru around here says otherwise, run! Or use that "ignore" button...lol

We should all be eating raw fruits and veggies with lean meats or a solid source of good protein, and junk foods just don't cut it.
    Our bodies need to be fed nourishment - not empty calories with little value.

Was somebody advising you different?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Folks there's a difference between someone asking if they can tip back McDonald's french fries all day long, and someone that eats some junk stuff.

For example: I eat pretty good on my bulk. 3500 calories every day. I eat veggies, I eat fruits, I eat meats, I eat dairy, I exercise 4 days a week, I drink almost 2 gallons of fluids a day, and I eat bacon, ice cream, poptarts, chocolate milk, and sugary cereals some days.

Actually i eat ice cream every day.

What's your point?
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Calories in whole foods are actually slightly fewer calories than they are, because between the chewing and the digesting, they take more energy to break down and absorb.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    actually studies have shown that all are not the same. if you eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, your body will burn more during the day metabolism wise.we can process natural foods so much easier than processed. so, our bodies really arent meant to eat all that junk anyway. if you eat clean, you stand a better chance of losing quicker and keeping it off easier. dont ask me which study because of course I cant remember where I read it but it makes sense.

Stop making things up.

If you're going to claim that "studies have shown" please be prepared to back your claims with the actual studies.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Calories are all the same but everything has a cause and effect junk calories do not fuel your body and doesn't give enough macro's to keep you healthy and your immune system fighting dieases. Your body is a machine and to make it run properly you provide it will premium gas if you don't eventually it is going to break down and rust.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    actually studies have shown that all are not the same. if you eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, your body will burn more during the day metabolism wise.we can process natural foods so much easier than processed. so, our bodies really arent meant to eat all that junk anyway. if you eat clean, you stand a better chance of losing quicker and keeping it off easier. dont ask me which study because of course I cant remember where I read it but it makes sense.

Stop making things up.

If you're going to claim that "studies have shown" please be prepared to back your claims with the actual studies.
    Look into all those preservatives in junk food most turn into fermaldihide in your fat....I have and STUDIES do show that the body doesn't process dyes, synthetic filler as well and tends to store the excess into your fat cells or into your liver and kidney walls. Just because you can yell that people don't provide lists of websites with the facts doesn't mean it is wrong try reading a book once in a while. or maybe just do the research yourself. You wonder why people are getting so much food allergies lately reports show 3 out of 6 children in school have a food allergy where as 10 years ago 1 and 10 did our bodies are breaking down and getting sick off the fake food and chemically processed plastic things that are being produced. If you really want answers go on an all organic diet and see how your body responds!
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I was wondering what the more scientifically inclined of you out there thought about calories in vs. calories out when it comes to alcohol, which doesn't really fit into any of the macros. For instance, lately I really can't drink at all -- maybe one glass of wine or a cocktail -- and lose, even if I fit it into my daily calorie allotment. Last week I had friends visiting and drank for many more days out of the week than I usually do, and even though I was careful to drink carefully measured drinks with cal-free mixers, and stay under my calorie limit for the day, I stalled out.

No big deal to me as I can definitely leave alcohol if I have to, but I was wondering if there might be a scientific explanation for this :)
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options

Stop making things up.

Look into all those preservatives in junk food most turn into fermaldihide in your fat....I have and STUDIES do show that the body doesn't process dyes, synthetic filler as well and tends to store the excess into your fat cells or into your liver and kidney walls. Just because you can yell that people don't provide lists of websites with the facts doesn't mean it is wrong try reading a book once in a while. or maybe just do the research yourself. You wonder why people are getting so much food allergies lately reports show 3 out of 6 children in school have a food allergy where as 10 years ago 1 and 10 did our bodies are breaking down and getting sick off the fake food and chemically processed plastic things that are being produced. If you really want answers go on an all organic diet and see how your body responds!

irisheyes523: This is why MFP has the "ignore" button - for abrasive know-it-alls like that. You said it, and it's 100% true,.
    Forget the retort, and keep telling it like it is. Calories are NOT calories.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Calories are calories, but like others have said some with make you feel good and give you energy, while others will leave you feeling sluggish and sick.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Stop making things up.

Look into all those preservatives in junk food most turn into fermaldihide in your fat....I have and STUDIES do show that the body doesn't process dyes, synthetic filler as well and tends to store the excess into your fat cells or into your liver and kidney walls.

Prove it.
    Just because you can yell that people don't provide lists of websites with the facts doesn't mean it is wrong try reading a book once in a while. or maybe just do the research yourself.

This is what's known as "shifting the burden of proof". You made the claim, you need to support your claim with evidence. It is not necessary for detractors to try to disprove you.

You wonder why people are getting so much food allergies lately reports show 3 out of 6 children in school have a food allergy where as 10 years ago 1 and 10 did our bodies are breaking down and getting sick off the fake food and chemically processed plastic things that are being produced.

Oh, so now you're making up "reports" too????
    If you really want answers go on an all organic diet and she how your body responds!

Studies have shown NO additional nutritional benefit to organic food. It's good for lightening your wallet, that's about it.

"On the basis of a systematic review of studies of satisfactory quality, there is no evidence of a difference in nutrient quality between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs. "

"With regard to pesticides, it must also be noted that organic farming, while using methods to minimize pests and the need for pesticides, still uses organic, rather than synthetic, pesticides. For example a rotenone-pyrethrin mixture is commonly used. Such pesticides are not as well studied as synthetic pesticides, often require more applications, and may persist longer in the soil. In fact the use of “natural” pesticides is nothing more than an appeal to the naturalistic fallacy – there really is no evidence for superior safety, and they have not been adequately studied."

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/is-organic-food-more-healthful/
    (Primary sources linked from the article)