How to Stay Out Of Winter Funk?

OK, I'm sure many of you have already noticed this happening. Now that it's winter and super cold, I can feel my body going into hibernation mode, which means I'm a lot more hungry and tired. The other day I had enormous snack cravings, and while I made it through the day with dignity, I went to the gym the next day and couldn't get my heart rate up to cardio level and my body felt tired.

Any tips or advice on how to keep the winter funk from getting to you while trying to lose weight and eat healthy?

Replies

• kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Forcing myself to go to the gym first thing in the morning has helped me. That way I can't make any excuses and I feel better all day.

Taking vitamins may help, also. B complex helps with energy and usually helps me if I have pretty bad afternoon sleepiness. D may be beneficial since you're not getting as much sunlight.

I'd love to hear if people have additional advice, though, since a couple weeks ago I was in a funk and it took about a week for me to get out of it.
  • I normally wouldn't suggest tanning, but I'm thinking about tanning at the lowest level once a week for 5-10 minutes. I've heard this can help as well (vit d!!!). I up my fish oil during the winter as well my vit d supplements. Going to the gym almost always helps to get me out of a funk =)
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    I normally wouldn't suggest tanning, but I'm thinking about tanning at the lowest level once a week for 5-10 minutes. I've heard this can help as well (vit d!!!)....

I tan for about 10 minutes twice a week in the winter - my doctor said it actually has benefits in low doses (my dermatologist also recommended it for my skin).

I'm sure some of you will disagree, but I personally feel better from it :)

Not sure if it has any effect on my gym motivation though. I just wake up at 5:40 to go. It sucks now though - today was our first snow so I couldn't ride my bike to the gym and had to walk. Which is fine, but it gives me less time at home between gym and work to shower/eat/etc.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    I hear ya! I live in the Northeast and I am feeling much less energy now that the days are shorter and I get less sunlight. There is a safer way than tanning to get the light that our bodies need to create the melatonin and to keep our body clocks in the right rythm. The safer way is with a light therapy box. I just ordered one myself from Amazon and can't wait for it to arrive. Here is a description of what light therapy does:

Bright light has been used for over a decade to alleviate symptoms associated with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), jetlag, shift work fatigue, insomnia, seasonal change and more. Light therapy offers a convenient and effective way of making up for the lack of light, without the need of medication. Lightphoria Light Therapy Lamp uses very bright lights up to 10,000 lux to simulate natural sunlight whilst eliminating the dangerous UV rays. Place it 12-24 inches away from you while you read, watch TV, and work on your computer. 20-30 minutes each morning is all it takes to significantly improve energy levels and regulate sleep patterns. The compact design offers a tilt-back stand, programmable timer, and intensity level settings. The Lightphoria is small enough for you to bring conveniently on trips. Provides soothing glare free, flicker free light that will make you feel refreshed and awake.
  • Water and exercise! I know it sounds cheesy, but I always start to crave soda, and if I FORCE myself to drink water, I feel better and after a couple of days I start craving water instead.

Maybe try something different in terms of exercise...I rotate and do Zumba on Mon, different cardio equipment on Tues (I rotate b/t treadmill, bike, and elliptical) and swim laps Thursday. I'm also asking for some small weights to do some simple weight lifting at home on weekends. If you do the same workout at the gym each day, it would get boring, so maybe try a class or swimming instead.
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    As for the tanning... My bf has very bad Seasonal Affect Disorder... and tanning works wonders for him. We found that out by accident last year. We were getting ready to go to Jamaica so we both were tanning. I could see a significant boost in his energy and mood after the starting tanning. It wasn't like he was going crazy with tanning, but once or twice a week. It also gave him a rare opportunity to just relax and tune out.

I think I benefit from it too.. but mine might be a bit more on the vanity side... ;)
  • My suggestion is to go STRAIGHT to the gym after work and trade 1 meal a day for a salad!