TRX vs using weights at home

Options
I have outgrown my little dumbbells ( 5,7,10 lb) , and I am thinking to move on to some harder exercises. I have no time or desire to join a gym, I just want to exercise at home.

My first thought was just get bigger preferable adjustable weights, and keep just doing what I am doing right now with the bigger weights ( No more Trouble Zone by Jillian Michaels.), i am working on this until I build up enough strength to start P90X.
I looked around , but it is hard to find proper adjustable weight set. They either huge like 50-60 lb max as they are targeted for man at advance training stage, or targeted for women and tiny max 12.5 lb per dumbbell. There is not much in the middle.

I just came across a suspension trainer called TRX. It looks like fun, and seem to be a great overall body exercise in a super portable way. All the commercial states that movement can be made really hard or really easy by adjusting the angle.If that is true , it allows slowly increasing difficult level.
But Is that really true?
Can a TRX training program replace a P90x type of home workout? Is is suitable for beginner who are not yet at the P90X level? Many of the exercise they show seems extremely difficult, and I am nowhere near that level yet.
Is it not cheap, but Christmas is a good opportunity to ask for one. Should I ask for a TRX, or just go with my original wish: bigger adjustable weight set?
Any opinion is welcomed!

Replies

• caseyp1122
    caseyp1122 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would not consider TRX for a beginner or even an intermediate weight lifter. Proper TRX workouts can be complex and without someone helping you with proper instruction it may do more harm then good. Also, keep in mind that TRX uses mainly your own body weight so while you may have graduated up from the beginner weights can you handle using your own body weight to work out with? If your dead set on TRX I would go to a gym that offers it and see if they can give you a sample workout to see if you even like it. Let us know what you decide and good luck!
  • radfordgal05
    Options
    TRX training is a difficult, intense workout. I would definitely consult a trainer properly trained in TRX to learn the basics. However, I would recommend P90X over TRX for at home use.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Is it that hard, eh? My heart have not totally set on TRX, I just saw it and seemed so much fun, and portable and brutal enough, for any level.At the same time, they showed beginner workout routine, and talk about changing the angle reduces intensity etc. But I guess it is not for my current level of fitness : (
    Maybe if I work hard enough, by next year I will be there , and I can ask for it next Christmas ;)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I thought I update this topic.
    I have started a TRX training class in my local YMCA, and it is definitely doable for average Joe -s too.
    The class has 20 people, and only 3 of the 20 are males, the rest are females. The 3 man in the class is in their 60's, but in very good shape.
    The average participant in the class are women in their late 40's, early 50'lb s in relatively good shape.
    It maybe not good as very first exercise ever, for 300 morbidly obese person who barely can walk.
    However if somebody has been exercising a few months, they can definitely do it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    I have outgrown my little dumbbells ( 5,7,10 lb) , and I am thinking to move on to some harder exercises. I have no time or desire to join a gym, I just want to exercise at home.

My first thought was just get bigger preferable adjustable weights, and keep just doing what I am doing right now with the bigger weights ( No more Trouble Zone by Jillian Michaels.), i am working on this until I build up enough strength to start P90X.
    I looked around , but it is hard to find proper adjustable weight set. They either huge like 50-60 lb max as they are targeted for man at advance training stage, or targeted for women and tiny max 12.5 lb per dumbbell. There is not much in the middle.

I just came across a suspension trainer called TRX. It looks like fun, and seem to be a great overall body exercise in a super portable way. All the commercial states that movement can be made really hard or really easy by adjusting the angle.If that is true , it allows slowly increasing difficult level.
    But Is that really true?
    Can a TRX training program replace a P90x type of home workout? Is is suitable for beginner who are not yet at the P90X level? Many of the exercise they show seems extremely difficult, and I am nowhere near that level yet.
    Is it not cheap, but Christmas is a good opportunity to ask for one. Should I ask for a TRX, or just go with my original wish: bigger adjustable weight set?
    Any opinion is welcomed!
    TRX is a great addition to home gyms. I use them with clients and your "lean" dictates the resistance. For the money and convience (you can bring it with you on vacation or just about anywhere) it's worth it. And no I don't work for them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    trx is a great workout i love it. if your working with a trainer you will be fine.
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    CAn trx makes beautiful muscle mass for a male body? I mean van we replace it with gym to save time and money?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    CAn trx makes beautiful muscle mass for a male body? I mean van we replace it with gym to save time and money?
    To a point. Eventually one will get used to the resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stinastudios
    stinastudios Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Pssst. . . if you look online, there are tutorials for making your own TRX style straps for much less money. Check youtube, it's actually pretty easy.