Finally... a FILLING low cal meal!!!!

Options
AliciaBeth78
AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
Yes, note the key word... FILLING!

As a high school teacher I am eating breakfast at 5:45am, eating lunch at 9:30am and by the time I get home around 3-4ish I AM STARVING! It seems like when I get home I usually cant stop eating for at least a few hours!!! I have yet to find a "low-cal" meal that actually fills me up for more than 5 minutes at a time!

UNTIL NOW!

OMG! 140 calorie Angel Hair Primavera!

1 pouch of shirataki noodles (40cals)
1 entire bag of steamfresh healthy colors veggies (100 calories)

Totally Delish!!!!

Replies

• jaxdiablo
    Options
    If you're not doing it yet, try rinsing the noodles, I've heard it changes the consistency when you cook them. Makes them more "pasta-y".
  • AliciaBeth78
    Options
    I totally had to do that! The smell was horrid when I opened the bag... but between the rinse and the cook and the pat dry, it really just tasted like over-cooked pasta!!!!

I think I'm in love!!!!
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    I've also read you can sautee them with the veggies to give them a firmer texture. I'm a big fan of texture. I can't eat fish because I don't like the "flakey". I'm debating trying out tofu. I'd do the extra firm, marinade it in teriyaki or something and just throw it on the foreman.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    My new fave is shiritaki noodles with bean sprouts. just like "pasta." As the genlteman above said, rinse the noodles in hot water. it definitely helps. also the bean sprouts in cold water. i put a special thai peanut-ginger dressing i make on them (it's low cal) but try low sodium soy sauce, teriyaki, whatever you like. it's AWESOME! and makes a huge bowl. i got it from another user on MFP :)
  • shrinkingsuccess
    Options
    this sounds great!!! where do i get shiritaki noodles??
  • AliciaBeth78
    Options
    Bryan - you will definitely have to let me know how that turns out!!!!

Sarah - I will definitely be trying that sometime soon... sounds way too delish!!!

I just want to know... why have I never heard of these noodles before! A cheap, easy, low cal, low carb substitute for real live pasta.... FANTASTIC!!!!
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    @shrink - I'm not sure exactly where you live, but here in Florida they are sold at both Winn-Dixie and Publix that I know of. Check the organic vegetable section. They come wet (in a bag in water, or whatever the liquid is), so they won't really "look" like noodles. You drain the liquid, rinse the noodles, pat them dry (salad spinner MIGHT work), add them wherever you would normally have long noodley pasta. I'm tempted to try it with alfredo, I'm just not sure how that will work out.

@Alicia - Thanks for throwing my name out there, now I'm gonna have more stalkers. :-P
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I want to try this...where do I find the noodles?
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    @shrink - I'm not sure exactly where you live, but here in Florida they are sold at both Winn-Dixie and Publix that I know of. Check the organic vegetable section. They come wet (in a bag in water, or whatever the liquid is), so they won't really "look" like noodles. You drain the liquid, rinse the noodles, pat them dry (salad spinner MIGHT work), add them wherever you would normally have long noodley pasta. I'm tempted to try it with alfredo, I'm just not sure how that will work out.

@Alicia - Thanks for throwing my name out there, now I'm gonna have more stalkers. :-P

I eaten them with alfredo plenty of times. They are fantastic and I can't tell the difference with the alfredo sauce, but I used Ragu's reduced fat:)
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I tried the noodles, but wasn't sure how to prepare them. Do you boil them? When I tried to make them I just put them in the frying pan and kept moving them around. They were NASTY though. The texture was so horrible, it was like trying to chew through rubber. I almost threw up! So how do you get them to be more pasta like in texture?
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    The smell is rancid... If you try them don't be curious...lol I've made chicken noodle soup, spaghetti and meatballs and cabbage noodles.. YUMM!!! I agree.. very very filling
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I tried the noodles, but wasn't sure how to prepare them. Do you boil them? When I tried to make them I just put them in the frying pan and kept moving them around. They were NASTY though. The texture was so horrible, it was like trying to chew through rubber. I almost threw up! So how do you get them to be more pasta like in texture?
    I just run mine under hot water for like 30 seconds to get rid of the smell and then pat them dry to remove excess water and toss them in whatever sauce I have heated and ready to eat them with
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get passed the texture of the noodles. I've done everything I was supposed to do (rinse it, pat it dry), I've sauteed it, baked it, boiled it, and the noodles itself are just way too chewy for me. Absolutely nothing like pasta to me, but I envy those who can stomach it because I'd love a filling 140 cal meal!! lol

Love and Alohas
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • Kell_5
    Kell_5 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hope they turn up in Australia soon, any idea of the company that markets them? I might be able to talk to my local store about stocking them, or are they just in the US?
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    Yes, i get mine at winn-dixie in florida. usually in the produce section with the vegetarian options. they're refrigerated. if not in a mainstream grocery store, try looking for them at a japanese or chinese food store. they'd def have them and there are usually one or two in most towns and cities :)
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    Hope they turn up in Australia soon, any idea of the company that markets them? I might be able to talk to my local store about stocking them, or are they just in the US?

The brand i've found is Japanese House
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shrinkingsuccess
    Options
    Thanks!!!.. I'll give it a try. Sure would like to find something that is filling and low cal and taste good. Gee I don't want too much, do I?..lol
  • shrinkingsuccess
    Options
    Thanks, will keep my eye out for it
  • spazicoco
    spazicoco Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Most of the bigger grocery stores have the shirataki noodles.........Sprouts and Whole Foods, definitely.