Need Help

Options
I have had little motivation most of my life to loose weight and more so recently with another failed relationship that had me turning to food to help ease the pain! I just hit 300 pounds and it sickens me to think that I have gotten this way.

I joined a gym a month ago and have gone once, I keep making excuses and between college homework and finals and being sick twice in the past month and a 10 year old daughter that is constantly on the go and I am frustrated that I am paying for something that I ultimately can't afford but need to do. I just need some ideas of how I can better motivate myself. I am depressed and Angry about my life at this point and I believe that my weight is something I should be able to control and that if I can lose weight I can do anything!

Karis

Replies

• 1BCR
    1BCR Posts: 3
    Options
    What a brave thing for you to be putting this out there! Is there anyone close to your area that is on MFP that could join you for group walks or something? maybe a fitness buddy would help. It doesn't have to be a gym why not try some dvd's (Im in NZ and my library has fitness dvd's free for one week hire) If this is available to you whichever town/country you are in you could try different fitness types to find one that fits you before buying? also we have a Facebook MFP forum for New Zealand users so we can see where people are and if people want to do group activities or just for motivation from people close to you. Hope this helps :)
  • kekeodom
    kekeodom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are saying. As far as paying for a gym that you cant afford cancel the membership and take a walk everyday or buy a couple dvds from Walmart. Find a friend and motivate each other (mfp is great for this). As far as the food goes takes small steps, like change one meal at a time and most of all set obtainable goals for youself with rewards. You can do this!!!!
  • kekeodom
    kekeodom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are saying. As far as paying for a gym that you cant afford cancel the membership and take a walk everyday or buy a couple dvds from Walmart. Find a friend and motivate each other (mfp is great for this). As far as the food goes takes small steps, like change one meal at a time and most of all set obtainable goals for youself with rewards. You can do this!!!!
  • Karis5401
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am in Richland WA so if anyone out there is close to me and could help motivate me that would be great!
  • dajn44
    dajn44 Posts: 13
    Options
    suggestion!!!! I know this sounds standard but it worked for me.... I have lost over 50 lbs. have gained 10 of it back so that is why I am on this website trying to get back on track. what worked for me was to put my weight loss in perspective. shoot for 2lbs a week and dont beat urself up if you only lose 1 lb or none as long as you tried not to gain. keep thinking of it as a long journey.... make a list of things that are important to you and read them everyday. and use that gym membership. it really does make a diffrerence. I put pictures of my kids in my office with little notes I want to be around for them so I need to be healthy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    Here's a NW thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/154604-pacific-northwest-peeps-look-here

Here's a PNW Group you can join. Neither are real active, but you can also post your own thread in Groups and ask for specific location people.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/314-mfpnw
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Motivation can certainly be hard to find when it comes to anything in life really, especially something as difficult as weight loss. Surround yourself with good people who support your goals and want to help you achieve them and that's a great start to your success. However, much of it does fall on you as well I really believe true motivation is always from within. Not to say you can't have days where your just not in the mood for exercise or whatever the case may be, because that's just called being human. Overall, though, people can only push you so far. I wish you the best and feel free to add I'm always willing to support a fellow MFP friend!!
  • lisalamb62
    Options
    I, too, am a full-time college student with a 13 year old at I home that I homeschool. I commute 100 miles a day. Last month I bought a used (like new) treadmill with an auto incline for $95!! I had to miss 2 days of classes because I used some of my gas money to but it! But, it was sooo worth it!
    I LOVE the Leslie Sansone Walk-Away-the -Pounds DVDs. they are easy to use at home and fun!
    Hang in there. You can do it!!!
  • Mel36Run
    Mel36Run Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym membership to get fit. You need to find an exercise you will stick with. Your local Library should have workout dvd's for loan. They are normally free. Also, check you local Goodwill. They normally have workout dvd's and fitness equipment used for super cheap. Maybe sign up for a fitness class at your college. The only way you are going to succeed is if you want to and you set yourself up for success. It is not going to be easy. It will be worth it though. Do it for yourself, so you can be there for your daughter! Stay positive and don't give up!
  • UtahTahitiMom
    UtahTahitiMom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time getting motivated to begin also. What got me going initially was having a friendly weight loss contest with some friends. Whoever lost the greatest percentage by a given time had to buy the others dinner. We were going on vacation, so that helped motivate me enough to get started. It was slow at first, and still isn't huge losses each week, but it is something.

I also really like the Leslie Sansone tapes. I checked one out at the library, and have since purchased 2. They are great to do at home and you can choose to do anywhere from one mile to five (at least on the ones I have.)

I also have a friend that comes and exercises with me and that keeps me from making excuses. But, something else we do is we have our daughter that struggles with weight do one mile before she can watch a video and we exercise as a family with her.

Good luck and don't give up!