Spaghetti squash?

Options
I have just called all 3 grocery stores in my city and nobody has spaghetti squash. Is it called anything else? Maybe they just don't know it by that name? I was just reading some posts about it here and have never tried it but really want to. One store said they have yellow squash, but I don't think that is the same thing? Any help? Thanks!

Replies

• meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    hmmm, its a pretty common veg. Where do you live?
  • kimberly130
    Options
    thats all i know it as, its usually with the acorn squash. but most stores now will only have a few since its the end of the season, and its not as good as in the early fall.
    If you do find it i have a great recipe if youd like i can send it to ya!
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they just dont have it. I love it, but havent been able to find it lately. and I buy mine in a regular grocery store.
  • KWright76
    KWright76 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have always found mine at walmart. when you go shopping just look by the fruit and veg. Spaghetti squash is yellow and will have a sticker on it saying spaghetti squash giving you to directions to cook it. Yellow squash is not the same. Good luck
  • khand58
    khand58 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is my favorite squash!! Microwave it, scrape it out of its shell with a fork and sprinkle on a bit of Penzeys Garden Salad seasoning - delish!! I buy it at Walmart and have seen it at all the other grocery stores.
    No - it isn't usually called anything else, and Yes - yellow squash is something different, often called summer squash.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It is also called Winter Squash
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I love that stuff! You might try under the name "calabash." It's also sometimes called vegetable spaghetti, noodle squash, or vegetable marrow.

If you haven't tried it before: it's an ovoid shape, like a watermelon, but smaller. Should be solid yellow: the more yellow, the more ripe.

Many people roast it in the oven, but I've had a lot of success just steaming it in the microwave, it's much quicker. Cut it in half, remove the seeds, put an inch of water in a pie plate and put half the squash, cut-side-down, in the pie plate. Microwave 6-8 minutes (depends on the size) until the insides are tender enough to shred easily with a fork.

Hope you can find some! Good luck!
  • sunnyd52
    Options
    walmart and publix usually have it. it is delicious !
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    BTW, "summer squash" and "winter squash" are blanket terms that refer to many different varieties. Yes, spaghetti squash is a type of winter squash, but if you call around to stores asking for "winter squash" you could get lots of different things...

(these aren't the squash you're looking for... move along.) :laugh:
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    awww, I've always wanted to try it, but the closest thing I can find here is 'Ahuyama' lol
  • tonicia
    tonicia Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just bought one to try out today! At sprouts...I don't know if they are in your area..
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Walmart is the one place I didn't call, I always forget they have a grocery store there as I never shop there! And I would love any recipe anyone has!
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    I just bake mine in the oven with a little pure maple syrup.