Protien Powder Drink

Options
I am in need of getting more protien in my diet, does anyone have a suggestion on what kind of Protien drink or any other type of supplement that would be good?

Replies

• cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein. I have tried others but always go back to this one. It has a really good taste and a smooth texture. I just tried Body Fortress Super Advanced and wasted my money. You could taste the sweetener in it and even when I used a blender it still left a very gritty feeling in my mouth.
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    The Jillian Michaels chocolate whey protein is pretty good. I have the same dilemma and I've just started drinking it last week with almond milk and I thinks it's good. I feel a big difference in my energy level too. Also it's pretty cheap at Walmart.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    There are sooo many out there...Some are quite pricey... I just got the Jay Robb and it IS yummy. But the price is a little expensive for long term!
  • mp1789
    mp1789 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stay away from anything with more than 1 gram of sugar per serving (unless you want to GAIN weight). Also, go for an "isolate" form, which is formulated to isolate - hence the name - the protein and cut out more of the junk. Also, unless you are working out a lot, you probably do not need a lot of carbs in the powder. So, if that is the case, get something that has the lowest carbs. Beyond all of that, taste is probably the biggest differentiator. Some are better than others. Go to a good nutrition store (GNC or Popeye's in Canada or whatever) and ask the sales person - most of the staff at these places are remarkably knowledgeable on these issues, and will likely also have an opinion on which brand and flavor tastes best.
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian Michaels Triple Chocolate Whey Protein Powder w/ skim milk mixed in it. It's lower in calories than most protein powders and the taste is very tolerable. I like to make mine and stick it in the freezer (to make it really cold, not frozen).
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started supplementing protein about 3 weeks ago. In the morning I drink half a cup of Muscle egg for an extra 13g of protein. Also on days I exercise I take 1 serving of Allmax Isoflex protein powder (27g) immediately after working out.

I have seen good results so far.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    chicken breast,tuna,milk are better than powder but if u must have poweder i get myofusion,gold standard, or if i gotta go cheap then allwhey max...
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Add some hemp protein to a smoothie :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm very cheap, and use Market Pantry (Target brand) Whey Protein powder in Vanilla. $17 for a jug. Most days, I eat enough protein, but if I don't feel quite as carnivorous, it's a good way to reach my protein goals.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am in need of getting more protien in my diet, does anyone have a suggestion on what kind of Protien drink or any other type of supplement that would be good?

I would check the following factors when you look at a protein supplement:

1) Grams of protein per serving.
    2) Cost per serving or cost per g/pro.
    3) Calories
    4) Any ingredient factors that YOU find important.

I do not track sugars and I am not on a carbohydrate restriction so for me, I just look at 1-3. The brands I'm using (currently using Optimum Nutrition) are around 120kcal and 24g PRO and I think I paid in the neighborhood of $40 for a 5lb tub, just for reference.
  • SpeedBump1
    SpeedBump1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bluebonnet whey protein isolate. The plain has 2 simple ingredients undenatured whey isolate and natural vanilla flavor. The flavored versions (chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, mixed berry) have undenatured whey protein isolate with stevia. Super simple ingredients you can pronounce and don't have to look up to see if its good or bad.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i use the vitamin shoppe store brand whey protein powder. 1 scoop with 6 ounces of fruiit juice, and a handful of frozen fruit, and stick it in the blender with a dash of salt as a post work out recovery drink.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I like BSN Syntha-6 (200 cals per serving) and I'm going to try their Lean Dessert line next (150 cal per serving) because I'm cutting back my calories.

A lot of health supplement stores have sample packets. As for those and try them before you buy. And I've found that using very cold water or letting some ice sit in the drink before enjoying helps a lot!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I don't use them but find that pre-cooked chicken, turkey and fish are so much better.
    And I do not trust that what I get in the package is really properly represented by what's on the label.

Consumer labs have tested these supplement companies, and some were found wanting.
    Jack Lalanne was right; if man makes it, don't eat it.

But I do like special K protein bars - not for protein but for a snack to replace the candy bar I used to eat, so that's a different matter.
    Good luck to you - great results!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I've used several protein powders and a couple I have liked very much however I noticed the artificial sweeteners and products in them. My friends husband uses and wanted me to try Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein All Natural (ON) protein and I very recently made the switch to that. Bought it at The Vitamin Shoppe. Will last along time and I prefer the ingredients and quality. But there are many out there on the market to chose from.
  • MrObundles
    MrObundles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Isopure zero carbs 110 cal per scoopful, if you hafta.