Coffee intake,fat loss, prediabetic

Options
I have read conflicting information with regards to coffee consumption and weight loss. Has anyone found that coffee has hindered weight loss? Since eatting cleaner and avoiding sweets I have really amped up coffee consumption, 5-6 cups a day with half and half no sugar. I am now trying to switch back and forth to green tea. BTW,I was recently told that I was prediabetic- I am trying diet and exercise before I take medication. Thoughts?:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lthomas42
    lthomas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What are you putting in your coffee? Coffee itself is only two calories, and the caffeine really gets things motoring, it speeds things up. Most people don't realize it's what goes in your coffee that's the problem. If you drink six say, double doubles a day, that's 12 spoonfuls of cream and 12 of sugar! That's HUGE!

I drink a teaspoon of unsweetened, unflavoured almond milk in my coffee. Low cal, but with great taste.
  • pollipure
    Options
    I drink cream- but I account for it. :)
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that coffee consumption can actually decrease risk of diabetes, and the more the better.
    Here's a link that refers to these studies
    http://coffeetea.about.com/od/health/a/healthdiabetes.htm
  • portabellos
    Options
    i thought she said cream but no sugar.
  • lthomas42
    lthomas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I drink cream- but I account for it. :)

Sorry, missed that in your post. How much are you putting in? Try switching to milk, way less fat! Go homo, then 2%, then 1% then skim. Honestly, once you cut that stuff out you will not miss it. Someone mixed up my coffee the other day and gave me cream and I couldn't drink it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I drink 3 cups a day and it hasn't effect me.
  • rlwzgd
    rlwzgd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    There's a limit to how much caffeine you should consume per day. I think it's somewhere between 2-3 cups of coffee. That said, I'm a grad school student and down about 6 cups a day completely black. If anything it has sped up my weight loss... :) But maybe that's because it keeps me awake instead of sleeping (I know, I have a problem - when the thesis is done, the coffee will stop).
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance now and drink 2 - 3 cups a day with nothing added - same as before and during the weight loss. It didn't cause any problems with fat loss or blood sugar levels that I was aware of.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of coffee every day. I usually drink skinny lattes so with semi-skim milk.

I've lost 23 lbs and I still drink coffee. Just be careful about what you put into your coffee and count the calories for it just as you do with food.
  • KimmehL
    KimmehL Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-5 cups a day, 3 in the morning, then sometimes 1-2 in the afternoon if I am serious low on energy, especially on workout days. I drink it black. I have drank this amount practically all my adult life. I have lost 27 lbs.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I also find that coffee actually decreases my appetite. I'm sure there's been studies and articles about that, and likewise there'll be studies and articles on the contrary. Either way, it works for me!

Also, I tend to use liquid creamer... it's only 35-40 cals per TBS, so I can have a rather large, decent tasting coffee for 105 calories, and I'm alright as long as I log it. I just can't stand the coffee by itself, so I HAVE to have sweetness. Either way, everything in moderation, right?

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm also prediabetic and drink about 6 cups a day. My MD actually tells me to do that. Not only is coffee good for diabetics, it's a pain killer. Diabetics should avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as aspirin, Advil, Alleve, etc., because they stress our kidneys. I'm 65, and my MD says if I have arthritic aches and pains from exercise, I should drink coffee, not take pills.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    There's a limit to how much caffeine you should consume per day. I think it's somewhere between 2-3 cups of coffee.
    Where did you get that info? I know some people can't handle larger amounts of caffeine but for the average person, what are the drawbacks?
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I drink coffee and my weight loss is pretty much on parr with what MFP predicts. I have mine black with no sugar though so its almost no calories because when I drink it with milk it came to about 50 calories a cup and I'd drink 3 or 4 cups a day. But now when I do have it with milk I really appreciate how good it tastes.
    For me it just wasn't worth the calories, but if you love treating yourself with coffee and have enough calories then I don't see why you shouldn't.
  • pollipure
    Options
    Thank you all :)
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

Sorry, missed that in your post. How much are you putting in? Try switching to milk, way less fat! Go homo, then 2%, then 1% then skim. Honestly, once you cut that stuff out you will not miss it. Someone mixed up my coffee the other day and gave me cream and I couldn't drink it.

Whats wrong with fat?
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with fat in the idea of it being apart of a diet, but it should be mono or polyunsaturated fats from fish meats, etc.
    Only down side to using cream or half & half is in my opinion its excess liquid calories which I would rather add an orange or apple to my breakfast as the fiber helps with satiety.

I am a medical student and kill a pot a day on a good day, more on a bad. I drink mine with skim milk and stevia. It is my blood.
    I still am averaging 2 lb a week loss except for two weeks ago when I hit a plateau but I seem to be catching up this week with a 3.5 lb loss coming.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with fat in the idea of it being apart of a diet, but it should be mono or polyunsaturated fats from fish meats, etc.
    Only down side to using cream or half & half is in my opinion its excess liquid calories which I would rather add an orange or apple to my breakfast as the fiber helps with satiety.

I am a medical student and kill a pot a day on a good day, more on a bad. I drink mine with skim milk and stevia. It is my blood.
    I still am averaging 2 lb a week loss except for two weeks ago when I hit a plateau but I seem to be catching up this week with a 3.5 lb loss coming.

Just wondering... Since you are a medical student, are you studying much about nutrition, or is it primarily the pharmaceutical aspect of health?
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Oh no, we have pharmaceutics class and a biochemistry class. Biochemistry had a huge unit on nutrition and metabolism. We also have a class called health promotion and disease prevention which focuses on preventive measures for many health disorders. The last unit of this class is an additional nutrition unit over the various fad diets, etc.