Why have i not lost any 'weight'? :/

Options
I exercise for 1hour (cardio&weights) per day 6 days a week and I haven't lost 'weight' in 3 months and 1 week :(

The body fat scale says i have gone from 50.1% to 47.2% but i'm not sure what to make of it....

Replies

• Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you are at a lower body fat percentage, you are building muscle. Have you tried measurements? How are your clothes fitting? Muscle weighs more than fat, so you may be increasing your muscle to fat ratio.
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    you have to drop your calories.

if your eating 2000 and not losing weight, eat 1900 repeat as neccesary
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You've lost 5% of your fat. If you weigh 130 lbs, you've lost about 6.5 lbs of fat.
    Cut back on your carbs and decrease the frequency of your cardio, and add some weight resistance and see what happens.
  • veni84
    veni84 Posts: 29
    Options
    make sure you're eating enough calories, you have to eat at least 1200 and make sure you're not eating to many, 2000 calories will keep you at your current weight.
  • BritishDarling
    Options
    If you are at a lower body fat percentage, you are building muscle. Have you tried measurements? How are your clothes fitting? Muscle weighs more than fat, so you may be increasing your muscle to fat ratio.

Maybe..my clothes are fitting better, i haven't taken any measurements :)
  • BritishDarling
    Options
    You've lost 5% of your fat. If you weigh 130 lbs, you've lost about 6.5 lbs of fat.
    Cut back on your carbs and decrease the frequency of your cardio, and add some weight resistance and see what happens.

I weigh 216lbs and have stayed the same for 3months 2weeks ..
  • BritishDarling
    Options
    make sure you're eating enough calories, you have to eat at least 1200 and make sure you're not eating to many, 2000 calories will keep you at your current weight.

Thats my biggest problem eating enough calories..i'm getting there slowly =)
  • BritishDarling
    Options
    you have to drop your calories.

if your eating 2000 and not losing weight, eat 1900 repeat as neccesary

I've been eating a lot less than what i'm supposed to be eating :/ i don't know what's going on with my body
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You're eating well, and your body fat is dropping; that's progress!

I suspect you may be gaining lean body mass, but make no mistake. If body fat is dropping, you are doing GREAT!
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I just so happened to read Jillian Michael's facebook page's post.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred-DVD/79773030589

"HAVE YOU MEASURED?
    If you are starting to workout - you MUST measure. People get discouraged because they jump on the scale after a week of busting their butts & eating good to find "no change" in the number...in fact there was.
    Fact: Muscle and Fat weigh the same. 1 lb of fat and 1 lb of muscle is still 1 lb. There's no magic math occurring. The 1 lb of fat requires more room than lean 1 lb of muscle. So the tape will show you where you're shrinking and the scale says you've done nothing.
    What to measure? Neck, left AND right arms (at bicep, flexed), bust (at nipple), waist, hips, left AND right thighs at thickest part, left AND right calf. I suggest you measure every 2 weeks at least. After a few months, you can measure 1x a month. Most of the change is going to show in the first few months and it will keep your head in the game.
    Diet is 80% of your success. Exercise is 20%. "
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

This..also, i think you can up your protein limits. I forget the ratio and add in some good fats and less processed stuff (ie the Special K cereal doesn't have much of a nutritional punch so to speak)

Sounds like you're doing great though otherwise!
  • DrKurtG
    DrKurtG Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. However, I have been lifting weights and doing very little cardio. I eat less than 1500 cals per day. Have lost a total of 3 pounds in five weeks. But, my waist is much smaller (pants keep trying to fall down haha), my arms and shoulders are much bigger, and I feel so much better. Still frustrating to look down at the scale and not receive the visual reward. :smile:
  • cherrikim
    cherrikim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Your not going to lose weight if you don't eat your calories & make sure all your other nutirients are close to what's needed. If your eating a lot less then required & exercising daily your taking in even less than what you think. You will lose weight only by eating your recommended calories & every now & then just little of your exercise calories you burned off.

Make sure your also drinking 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water, stay away from carbonated drinks, measure everything you put into your mouth, & log ever bite or sip you take. Get plenty of sleep & don't stress since they too can cause weight gain.
  • BritishDarling
    Options
    I am right there with you. However, I have been lifting weights and doing very little cardio. I eat less than 1500 cals per day. Have lost a total of 3 pounds in five weeks. But, my waist is much smaller (pants keep trying to fall down haha), my arms and shoulders are much bigger, and I feel so much better. Still frustrating to look down at the scale and not receive the visual reward. :smile:

The scale is super frustrating!!! Well done and keep going tho :smile:
  • BritishDarling
    Options
    Your not going to lose weight if you don't eat your calories & make sure all your other nutirients are close to what's needed. If your eating a lot less then required & exercising daily your taking in even less than what you think. You will lose weight only by eating your recommended calories & every now & then just little of your exercise calories you burned off.

Make sure your also drinking 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water, stay away from carbonated drinks, measure everything you put into your mouth, & log ever bite or sip you take. Get plenty of sleep & don't stress since they too can cause weight gain.

• MKP13
    MKP13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was having a similar problem in that I was consuming too few calories and stopped losing weight. My body went into "starvation mode" and held onto my fat deposits for dear life. When I upped my calorie intake, not only was I not constantly thinking about food, to my surprise, I started to lose again! Also, what calories you consume are of prime importance. Remember nutrition is 80% of the weight battle. Aim for a 40/30/30 balance - complex carbs, protein and fat and eat 4-6 small meals/snacks a day. Yes it's a lot of work and planning, but well worth the effort. As for workouts, definitely get some weight training in (at least 2x per week with compound exercises) and if able, make your cardio sessions "HIIT" - hi intensity interval training" Ex. walk at 4.0 mph for 1 min. run at 7.0 mph for 2 min., walk at 4.0 mph for a minute and so on, for 20 - 40 minutes per session (remember to do your dynamic warm up and static cool down). Good luck!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to eat enough calories. You really should be eating your BMR, minimum.
  • herbalgirl011
    Options

I completely agree with this comment. I was in the same boat. I was fast pace walking about 3.5 miles a day and my weight didn't change much. When I cut down a little on my walk intensity and days, added more dumbell lifting, yoga and pilates my weight started to go down. Also watch out for "diet" foods. It's better to just eat fresh and portion. Good Luck
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I exercise for 1hour (cardio&weights) per day 6 days a week and I haven't lost 'weight' in 3 months and 1 week :(

The body fat scale says i have gone from 50.1% to 47.2% but i'm not sure what to make of it....

Scale weight loss and fat loss aren't the same thing. Use this formula to see how much fat you have lost and if you have gained or lost lean body mass.

Scale weight is divided into two categories: Pounds of fat and pounds of lean body mass. Your scale weight can stay the same or even go up, it doesn't mean you haven't lost fat.

Formula:

Weight x Body fat percentage = Pounds of fat
    Weight - Pounds of fat = Pounds Lean body mass

Your pounds of fat is not how much scale weight or pounds of fat you need to lose. Your pounds of lean body mass is the requirement for your body; you want to maintain or increase that number.

I don't focus on scale weight. I focus on my body fat percentage, pounds of fat and inches. Fat loss takes time. Body fat percentage takes time too.

I can help you see what body fat percentage and healthy weight you need to be aiming for. There's a formula for that as well.