So maybe this calorie counting is not for me

Options
It's been one looooooooooong, mind boggling trip!! Two full years ago I weighed 175. Since I normally have always kept semi good physical fitness it wasn't horrible. So I decided I wanted to get below 160. I began my journey of a year long regularly exercising which brought me to only 161. That was last summer. (see, took me forever to lose those few lbs) Last winter I joined Jillian Michaels online and have toned up great doing her workouts. But, the amazing thing is is that while I've gotten smaller, I've gained weight. I kinda figured something like that would happen. A bit anyway, but 8 lbs? WITH calorie counting. I know what you are going to say, "Do you eat back your exercise calories?" Yes I do. Most days I am between 1250=1500 total calories. Okay, I have high intensity workouts. I wear a HRM so I know of my calorie burn. Through strength and cardio 6 days a week I usually burn around 600-850 each day. I continue to gain despite what I do which is the following.....

A. I've tried eating back calories (could my high intensity workouts be leaving me with a much bigger afterburn than I'm thinking?)
B. I've tried eating less
C. I've tried eating a bit more
D. I've not counted calories at all for a couple weeks.
E. I tried staggering the calories
The results are NO MATTER what, I GAIN. What is going on? This last week I counted calories 3 days out of 7 trying a new approach. I gained an entire pound! Still the same size mind you but still. Okay, am I working out too much? Surely one doesn't gain muscle that quickly. But at the same time, am I gaining fat with all my working out? Pounds of it over several weeks time. Is there some other approach I can take.

Please help me figure this out. Oh yes, 5 weeks before Thanksgiving I counted religiously and didn't get on the scale at all. I really wanted a nice surprise. Alas, I had gained one and a half pounds during that time of being faithful. I seriously wanted to scream.

Replies

• DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    If you are the same size in pants, and you have lost inches you are most likely gaining muscle... not fat. I wouldn't worry too much about what the scale says.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're gaining lean body mass - start tracking body fat as well.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Sometimes its not the number on the scale... It is how you have become a healthier you and are fitting into smaller clothes. Don't be a slave to some idealistic number on a scale. As long as you look good and feel good then that is all that matters.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    How do you *look*? How do your clothes fit? How much energy do you have? How healthy do you feel?

If all responses to those questions are positive, forget the scale. Actually, I would try stashing it somewhere and just not even thinking about weight. It is the least important aspect of health.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above posters. It could be that you're gaining muscle, which is why you're smaller but weigh more. Instead of tracking your progress on the scale, try what BobbyC suggested and track your body fat instead. If you feel muscle mass isn't it, maybe change up your workout routine a bit, but I'm pretty sure it's muscle.

Love and Alohas,
    ihilani Kapuniai
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you've gotten smaller why do you care what the scale says? Would you rather be healthy and weigh a little more due to lean muscle mass or be skinny and unhealthy but weigh the arbitrary number that you've decided you want to weigh?
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    In my personal experience, I do not lose weight unless I manage both my carbs and calories and keep the carbs to 10% or less than my calories. This is significantly lower than the default carb level on the site.

I also tried everything else over a sustained period of time. In addition to what you have tried, I also stayed on the Fulman (~sp) diet: vegan & zero fat. On this I was eating less than 1,000 calories a day and I gained weight.

When I finally figured out that I was sensitive to carbs and switched from eating fruits to eating more veggies, and more protein - I started to lose weight and have felt absolutely empowered. Finally I understand.

Good luck to you.
  • Katielou112
    Katielou112 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Measurements are always the way to go, at my smallest I was a size 8 on top and a ten on bottom but I weighed the same as I had done when I was a 10 all over. It's because I was working out 3 times a week and gaining muscle, not fat. My measurements were the smallest they've ever been at 34/27/32 BUT because I was so focused on the lbs I ended up eating something ridiculous like a dry bun and a cup-a-soup a day. This ofc didn't last and I ended up putting back on all the weight I'd lost! If I had concentrated on measurements alone I would have known I was getting smaller without becoming fixated on diet. x
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches, I'm confused by why you're concerned?
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches, I'm confused by why you're concerned?

Yeah, I'm confused too. Don't get stuck on weight, just stick with the measurements or just get your body fast tested every couple of weeks to see if it has decreased.
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Throw away your scale--it just plays with your mind anyway.

Have you tried to eat clean? Get rid of all processed food in your diet. That means no more bread, pasta, etc. I am doing it and I have no idea how much I weigh but I do know my stomach is much flatter and I just feel so much better about myself.

Try it. What is the worst that could happen?
  • vpsmith14
    Options
    I eat very clean. Whole grains, fruits and veggies and all that. I'm okay really with what the scale says, but it freaks me thinking I've gained it in fat. That's my biggest fear.

Tricia
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? It is possible that you have Hypothyroidism or Hashimoto's Disease...
    I do agree that if you are getting smaller, you don't necessarily have to keep losing lbs...especially if you
    aren't that far from your goal.

I can't see what your diet looks like, but something that has worked for me is increasing my protein to 130 g minimum per day (you'll need a good 100% Whey Protein Powder--I use Optimum Nutrition Vanilla Ice Cream). That got the scale moving again :)
    Good luck!
  • GJLUCY
    GJLUCY Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is all based on averages. So i say adjust your caloric intake a little . I have been at this for two weeks. I have lost 2 lbs . I found that the amount of calories they say I should take in was a little high for me I just can't always eat that much. ( depending on what I eat of course.) If I am eating healthy ( I have a sweet tooth. and like salty things) my calories are low.If I eat high fat sugar or salty foods my intact reads high. So what I am saying i guess is that relax on the calorie counting eat healthy and exercise plenty(if you can) if the inches are coming off you are doing okay. don't worry about the scales so much. Muscle is heavier than fat. and it doesn't take much time to build muscle, I bet you are are feeling stronger and healthier,also. keep your chin up. G J

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'd rather lose tons of inches, rather than pounds! You should be celebrating this...not stressing about it. You've definitely gained lean muscle mass....
  • vpsmith14
    Options
    Thanks yall. I will increase protein and see how it goes. And I don't so much stress over the scale other than it freaks the crap out of me to see 170 again!! I am a perfect size 10 right now which isn't great but hey I've delivered 12 kids!!

Tricia
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It's been one looooooooooong, mind boggling trip!! Two full years ago I weighed 175. Since I normally have always kept semi good physical fitness it wasn't horrible. So I decided I wanted to get below 160. I began my journey of a year long regularly exercising which brought me to only 161. That was last summer. (see, took me forever to lose those few lbs) Last winter I joined Jillian Michaels online and have toned up great doing her workouts. But, the amazing thing is is that while I've gotten smaller, I've gained weight. I kinda figured something like that would happen. A bit anyway, but 8 lbs? WITH calorie counting. I know what you are going to say, "Do you eat back your exercise calories?" Yes I do. Most days I am between 1250=1500 total calories. Okay, I have high intensity workouts. I wear a HRM so I know of my calorie burn. Through strength and cardio 6 days a week I usually burn around 600-850 each day. I continue to gain despite what I do which is the following.....

A. I've tried eating back calories (could my high intensity workouts be leaving me with a much bigger afterburn than I'm thinking?)
    B. I've tried eating less
    C. I've tried eating a bit more
    D. I've not counted calories at all for a couple weeks.
    E. I tried staggering the calories
    The results are NO MATTER what, I GAIN. What is going on? This last week I counted calories 3 days out of 7 trying a new approach. I gained an entire pound! Still the same size mind you but still. Okay, am I working out too much? Surely one doesn't gain muscle that quickly. But at the same time, am I gaining fat with all my working out? Pounds of it over several weeks time. Is there some other approach I can take.

Please help me figure this out. Oh yes, 5 weeks before Thanksgiving I counted religiously and didn't get on the scale at all. I really wanted a nice surprise. Alas, I had gained one and a half pounds during that time of being faithful. I seriously wanted to scream.
    You can't use an HRM to calculate "lifting" calories. It will greatly exaggerate them. Which means you're eating more than you should.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition