couch to 5k question?

Options
This might sound silly but is it a DVD or what? I keep hearing about it, and would love to check this out.

Replies

• missmarquez2u
    Options
    its a plan or routine. i will be starting the pooch version in jan. google it and it will give you a link. starts slow 60 sec jog 90 sec walk and builds up fro there a week at a time for 12 weeks where you should be jogging 15 min walking 4
  • LynneGG
    LynneGG Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    just google it and you can find all the instructions/guidelines. Its more of a format. You won't need a DVD for this...good luck!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It's also an app for your phone. It's great!!! never thought I'd be running!
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Its a program you can start, its an amazing program for anyone who is starting out or returning to run. you can find all the info online or you can get the app like others have metioned
  • QingTing
    QingTing Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There is a website and a few apps dedicated to it. I am not sure which is the 'official' one, but I use Get Running and it's great :)
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It's also an app for your phone. It's great!!! never thought I'd be running!

it's a awesome app
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml <-- official one. :smile:

http://www.c25k.com <-- lots more information with links to apps, podcasts, and variations on the program. I typically followed the treadmill version.
  • Shredded2011
    Options
    if you can jog a bit then walk and keep going like that you'll be able to do 5k. it may take an hour or more but you'll do it.

try it over half a k then go home and keep going from there.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    The NHS podcasts were awesome. I used them all the way through to guide my runs.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program! I did it last fall and then ran my first half marathon this morning, well worth trying!
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    there are also C25K groups here in the forum groups.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's interval training to get you to be able to run for 5km or 30-35 minutes!
    So you walk, then run, than walk, run, etc... and as you progress in the 8 week program (or however long it takes you to complete), you will run more and more and walk less and less.

I have the app on my phone, I'm on week 5 now, and I love it! I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to build up their endurance for running, or even just start running!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Thank's guys I've never ran a day in my life but always wanted to. Well I've ran in gym in school but doing it in my adult life no. I see people out jogging when I'm walking and am like "I would love to build myself up to that." Just never tried it. I do not have a cell phone, I know I'm in the dark ages lol. I have no real need for one.
  • alliooops
    alliooops Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You don't need a cell phone. I googled C25k, printed off the programme and I'm now on week 5. Nothing stopping you now - you too can be one of those runners!
  • rosieratbag
    rosieratbag Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The NHS podcasts were awesome. I used them all the way through to guide my runs.

Yup completely agree :smile:
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    It's a great program.. if you have an mp3 player or iPod you can download a number of audio files for each week, otherwise you can just time your runs.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps you a bit.

I found an application for iTouch/iPhone/iPod on iTunes and it is called Ease into 5K by bluefin software which is very good but not free, maybe around $2.99 This app has good ratings and lets you use your music playlists from your iPod in it.

I also found a podcast NHS Couch to 5K which is "free" and like that one too.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Oh I do still want to try this even though I don't have a cell or Ipod/mp3 or any of that stuff, Ipod is on my Christmas list this year. I'm thinking I'll be adding this to my next workout routine. I like to change things up so I am gonna give it a go :)
  • sfjohnson16
    sfjohnson16 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh it's awesome. :) I am actually training for the 5K now :) I love it. :)