Huge hips! Help please!

Options
My hips are definitely my biggest problem area. I'm losing weight since joining mfp (12 pounds so far in just over a month!) and I'm really enjoying the gym. The main exercises I do are walking, running, stationary bike and ab crunches. I'm noticing a big difference already in my waist, tummy and legs, but no change with the hips...
What's the best way to lose weight off my hips? What are the best exercises to do?
Thanks guys :)

Replies

• bornforthis1
    bornforthis1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know there are some machines at the gym. They are usually leg abductors. Right next to the led adductors (usually) All you do is sit in the machine and push the legs outward, working the outer thighs and hips. Then I would work the adductor one too to be evenly sore =) If you look on the machines, they will show you what muscles they work.
    Here are some I have done, with or without the gym.
    Side leg lifts- Can be done standing, laying down and on hands and knees.
    Standing- Get something to hold on to. Balance on one lege and with the other, lift it to the side, Make sure your leg is straight.
    "Doggies"- I don't know the actual name of it sorry! On hands and knees, take one bent leg and lift it out to the side.
    Laying position- Lay on your side, one hand propping up your head, the other on the floor (suck in your stomach for added benefit), both legs straight. Take the top leg and lift it as high as you can and bring back to beginning position. Repeat on other side.
    "V's" - Lay on your back, hands at your side. Position legs straight up in the air. Spread apart and make a "V" and bring back together.
    With all of these, make sure you squeeze your muscles, that way it will work your inner and outer thighs too!

Cardio is nice, but muscle burns more fat, so you have to strength training too. You ever wonder why the guys on the biggest loser always loose pretty quickly, men have more muscle mass then we do (sucks!). So make sure you are doing that strength training and working all the muscles in that particular group. Like: Lower body = Hips, butt, inner and outer thighs and calves and Core = upper, lower abs, obliques and back, etc..

I hope this helps, just speaking from experience here
  • samichip
    samichip Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's really helpful! I'll try it tomorrow :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, leg press.... all are compound movements that work multiple muscles at once and your not doing a bunch of isolated exercises.

I've seen the biggest reduction in my hip size by doing those exercises.