5'7" Finding exercise a drag!

Options
Hi, I'm Danielle. I just joined myfitnesspal a week or so ago. I'm 5'7" and 24 years old, trying to get to a healthier weight-and let's face it, I'm not satisfied with the way I look! My main "problem areas" are my thighs and upper arms as well as my buttocks to some degree. Then I'd like to tone my tummy and I appear to have a bit of back fat! I'd also like to gain some muscle because my upper body is woefully weak.
I'm actually finding the food portion to be fairly easy. I have been a vegetarian for over 7 years and in the last 4-5 months have switched to full vegan. Once I joined myfitnespal, I cut out chocolate soy milk (I love it!), soda, and working on lowering on my sugar intake. I am trying to eat several smaller meals and snacks every day because I find I lack an appetite for large meals.
The hardest part for me is the exercise! I actually don't mind it too much when I'm down in my apartment building's little gym on the stationary bike for 30 minutes or whatever...I mean it isn't that it's hard to DO...It's just hard to WANT to do it. I am very much lacking in motivation. Is this laziness?! Also, I am kinda paranoid about those weird-looking weight machines and would rather not go near them..They intimidate me!
Anyway, add me as a friend or message me if you'd like to do some co-encouragement or share your progress/wisdom or recommend some workouts or gym machines!
~Dani

Replies

• ThisMusicalMiss
    Options
    You need to find something that is FUN! Like you, I don't mind my little apartment's gym, but I have to force myself over there. I like the elliptical when I'm there. The machines should have picture and word diagrams on the side for how to use it, or you can research online before you go.
    I'm really into Zumba, so I look forward to going. I'm also joining a soccer team in the spring, so I am also looking forward to purchasing those supplies and getting out to play. =D
  • racheljoanne
    Options
    The only excercise i did before i discovered Zumba was playing on the wii in my house.
    Zumba is so fun i cant get enough of it, plus you burn a lot from it.
    Im not saying you should try Zumba, because it may not be your thing, im saying you should try different things until you find something you actually enjoy!

:happy:
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    definitely find something you enjoy a d some friends to do it with. I love rock and roll dancing, cycling and am now getting into swimming. My husband is my champion and joins me in all. We have heaps of dancing friends and a growing group that we ride with. The more I do, the more I enjoy. I hope you find the same.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Fun is relative, so what may be enjoyable for someone may be unexciting for you. After a while, even what started out as fun may start to feel routine and perhaps a little boring.

I think the important thing is to find a few things that you like doing and will keep you moving. I really envy family and friends who can choose from any exercise machine or program to engage in. I have a busted left knee that I am not willing to replace just yet (mostly because I am too cheap), so the only machine I can use is the elliptical. I make it fun with a specific song list that I listen to while I work out.

I also change it up a bit by alternating between working out alone and working out with the husband. He's working out for a very specific purpose but we keep each other motivated. When I go alone, my purpose is to be disciplined and committed to the goal when no one is watching me.

If you are worried about getting bored quickly, do something different every other day. For example, you can climb 8 flights of steps one day, and use the elliptical for 30 minutes the following day. I think the sky will be the limit of your imagination.

Best. :)
  • Janice032557
    Janice032557 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You need to find some exercises that you acutally enjoy. Maybe that's all you need to get motivated. Me, I love getting on my stationary bike and riding.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    hey darlin!

if you really enjoy chocolate soymilk, and though i realize you are trying to cut back on sugar, i think you should drink it! just measure out your portions, or do what i do and buy the individual serving sizes (i used to buy a 6-pack every week). that way you won't feel like you're depriving yourself of something really enjoyable. since you are a vegan, make sure you are getting plenty of protein from vegetable sources, and supplement with b12 if necessary.

at the gym, they usually have trainers or employees there that can show you how to those "scary" lookin weight machines. i really think you should strength train with all your heart. i agree with elensia70's post - find something you like doing and stick to it, and change things up every day if you find yourself getting bored easily. every time you go to work out, focus on your goal. "i'm gonna be strong! i'm gonna be fit! i'm gonna be sexy!" this gets me through workouts every single time!

feel free to add me if you wanna chat or need advice//direction :D
  • daw_etc
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the replies everyone! I actually was a member of a gym like a year ago that had a zumba class and I thought it was really neat EXCEPT that it was way too advanced. There wasn't a level like beginner or anything but all the people going to it had been doing the routine for a long time so I couldn't keep up with all the moves! Maybe I will see if there is an easy class somewhere around here.
    I really like dancing so I was considering going old school and doing aerobics videos in my apartment, haha! I thought I could buy one of those step things and some light weights and try that..I really like the advice of exercising with a friend, I think that might make it something to look forward to.
    Thanks again for all the support!
    ~Dani
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Check your local library for different workout DVDs, that's what I did, keep trying different ones until you find one you like, then buy it if you want or just keep checking it out :blushing: I have one that I've checked out 14 times in a row!