HRM with GPS

Options
You guys helped me pick out my AWESOME Polar FT4 last year and I still love it, however, I want an HRM that has built in GPS to track my mileage when I run the streets.

I prefer it to be part of the watch, not have to wear a foot-pod or additional feature besides the chest strap for heart rate.

Been peaking at Garmin 405 but hoping somebody can recommend a lower-cost option.

Thanks in advance! :drinker:

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I've got the 305 which went on sale when the 605 came out and I LOVE it! It's a little bulky looking but I never notice it- it sits on my wrist well.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I don't really know much about the HRMs with GPS, but if you go to woot.com today, they have a sale on a Schwinn one that looks pretty good.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    HRM's with GPS are expensive.. no matter what option you choose.

Polar FT60 is one with GPS.. and amazon has it for like 123 I think.
  • KCarpenter83
    KCarpenter83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There are Garmin GPS watches that can also work with HRMs. OR, you could use a running GPS app if you have a smartphone (I use Runkeeper - with my iphone 4)...Runkeeper works with the Wahoo fitness pack (chest strap and receiver that plugs into the bottom of your phone). Runkeeper is free- GPS tracks your runs. The Wahooo fitness pack is like $125 i think.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have never had the 405, but have owned the 305 twice. The first one succumbed to puppy teeth (it still technically works but you can't read the screen, you need to plug it in to get all the data). The second is currently lost (likely hidden somewhere by the same puppy, a few years older now but still playful). I loved the 305 and have had no issues with it.
    I have been looking at some reviews of the 405 and it is not as well liked as the 305. It is much cheaper, a quick search shows them starting around $130. A little bulkier but I never minded.
    If I do break down and buy my third, I will go back with the 305.

Edit - I have also dealt with Garmin customer service and am very happy with them, one of the reasons I like to stay with the brand. i have also seen a lot of reviews that say the same.
  • KCarpenter83
    KCarpenter83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You could also just keep using your Polar while using a GPS app, that way there is no expense at all! That's what I do- you can enter your average HR into Runkeeper at the end of your run to keep track of it.
  • mollymoo89
    Options
    bump
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    If you plan on putting a lot of miles on your HRM I'd recommend a Garmin. I had the 310xt and it was an invaluable training aid. Garmin's GPS always acquired satellites quickly and accurately on my runs, swims, and rides.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin Forerunner 405CX - if you want the integrated HRM, get the CX. I've had this one for years, so don't know much about the newer Garmin models, but as a runner, my 405CX is my BFF.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Also love my 405CX, except for days like today when I forgot to charge it. Now I have to wait for it to charge before I can work out. Grrrr!

If you look at Garmins, be careful to get one that use the heartrate in the calorie count calculation. For example the 405CX does, but the 405 does not.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Also love my 405CX, except for days like today when I forgot to charge it. Now I have to wait for it to charge before I can work out. Grrrr!

If you look at Garmins, be careful to get one that use the heartrate in the calorie count calculation. For example the 405CX does, but the 405 does not.

Yes, most of the garmins do not use the HRM to calculate calorie burn, they use pace and distance. So, it's useless inside for cals. I have the 310xt and it DOES calculate using HR. I love it. I recommend buying from REI, whichever one you get. You can return anything, at anytime, for any reason, without a receipt if you are a member. Garmins can be buggy.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yes, most of the garmins do not use the HRM to calculate calorie burn, they use pace and distance. So, it's useless inside for cals. I have the 310xt and it DOES calculate using HR. I love it. I recommend buying from REI, whichever one you get. You can return anything, at anytime, for any reason, without a receipt if you are a member. Garmins can be buggy.

It isn't useless inside. You can take your average heartrate and use a calculator to figure you calories burned. A little more work, but you can still the info. I did the same with my Garmin that didn't calculate based on heartrate.
    Here is one example of a HR calcualtor you can use.
    http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

I see this on here a lot and found evidence to the contrary on a Runners World forum, I wanted to share that this statement is inaccurate (not meaning to be argumentative; just trying to share info I learned recently). Several Garmins not ending in -10 (including my Garmin 405CX) use Firstbeat technology to calculate calorie burn, which includes HR and max HR in the calculation.

For a list of Garmin products with this technology:
    http://www.firstbeat.fi/consumers/heart-rate-monitors/garmin-heart-rate-monitors

For an explanation of Firstbeat technology:
    http://www.firstbeat.fi/consumers/heart-rate-monitors/firstbeat-intelligence-in-heart-rate-monitors

Just wanted to share this since I found it recently! All this being said, I find the estimates from my Garmin 405CX to be very low (like, 1,184 kcal for an 18 mile run; I'm 5'7" and 139 lb). But from the standpoint of tracking my distance, pace, HR, etc., it's the best. I reconcile calories with another online calculator for calories burned based on HR (particularly useful if you know your VO2 max, but if you don't, the instructions suggest one to enter... just don't leave it blank!)
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hey Noodle ! I use the Garmin 305, like another poster here, and I love it. It does, in fact, calculate calories based on HR, so I can use it on treadmills, if I can ever get myself to tolerate the boredom of a treadmill! It comes will a CD that installs a VERY easy to use program that will show you pace, calories, avg HR, best pace, etc, for each lap you run, and averages for the whole run as well. That way, if you run on some laps, but take walking breaks on other you still have data on what your actual running pace it. I LOVE it!!! I got mine on Walmart.com, which had the best deal at the time. I think I paid $70 less there than on other sites. I believe it was $140, but that was about a year ago... You may not need all the bells and whistles of a fancier garmin, and who wants to wear a footpad? Whatever GPS HRM you get, trust me, it will change the way you run. You're gonna have a lot of fun :)
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hey Noodle ! I use the Garmin 305, like another poster here, and I love it. It does, in fact, calculate calories based on HR, so I can use it on treadmills, if I can ever get myself to tolerate the boredom of a treadmill! It comes will a CD that installs a VERY easy to use program that will show you pace, calories, avg HR, best pace, etc, for each lap you run, and averages for the whole run as well. That way, if you run on some laps, but take walking breaks on other you still have data on what your actual running pace it. I LOVE it!!! I got mine on Walmart.com, which had the best deal at the time. I think I paid $70 less there than on other sites. I believe it was $140, but that was about a year ago... You may not need all the bells and whistles of a fancier garmin, and who wants to wear a footpad? Whatever GPS HRM you get, trust me, it will change the way you run. You're gonna have a lot of fun :)
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have had the garmin 305 and works great. I got it with the foot pod for treadmill use. it is a cheaper alternative to the 405 plus it has a bigger screen to view all the fields. It is bulky but not heavy and does not feel bulky. I love it.
  • keldawm
    keldawm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the 405cx and love it. I use it at the gym and when I run and bike outside. It took me a while to talk myself into buying it because of the $$ but it has been worth it!
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    great info everybody! i appreciate all your input and give it all credit deserved. regarding running apps....alas, i have a "dumb phone" and a regular mp3 player so upgrading my hrm is where i will choose to go. i got peeps in line for my polar :) thanks again for all the advice and first-hand experience!