Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

16 calorie peppermint choc chip pavlovas (meringue cookies)

sleepytexan
sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
Just made these for cookie exchange tomorrow. Easy to make, but must be patient to wait for them to finish :)

Delish!

Peppermint Meringue Cookies Recipe

It's easiest to separate the eggs when they are cold. Since you'll want the egg whites to be at room temperature before whipping them (they will get more lift that way), for best results, separate your eggs at least a half hour before starting this recipe, and leave egg whites out to come to room temp.

Make sure that all bowls, hands, and utensils that might touch the eggs are clean and free from oils.

For best results, avoid making on a humid or rainy day.

INGREDIENTS
3 thoroughly crushed peppermint candy canes*
1.5 cup liquid egg whites
Pinch salt
2 cups sugar (use superfine if you have it--or process granulated in a food processor)
1.5 teaspoon white vinegar
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)

* Pulverize candies in food processor or by placing them in sealed, doubled-up freezer bags. Use a meat mallet (smooth side) or hammer to gently pound them into a fine powder.

METHOD

1. Preheat oven to 300°F.

2. Put egg whites into a standup mixer, add a pinch of salt. Start the mixer on low, gradually increasing the speed to medium until quite foamy and soft peaks can just begin to form, about 2-3 minutes. Egg white bubbles should be small and uniform.

3. Increase the speed to medium high and slowly add the sugar, a little (1-2 teaspoons) at a time. Continue to whip egg whites and sugar for a few minutes, then add the vinegar. Increase the speed to the highest setting and whip the egg whites until they are glossy and stiff peaks form when the whisk is lifted, about 4 to 5 minutes.

4. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the crushed peppermints (and the mini chocolate chips, if you are using).

5. Line 4 large cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpat. If you are using parchment paper, you can put a dollop of the meringue mixture in the corners of the pans before placing the parchment paper on them, to help secure the parchment paper in place (pastry chef's trick, thank you, Shuna). Either use a spoon to drop teaspoonfuls of the meringue mixture onto the cookie sheets (spaced an inch apart) or use a pastry piping bag (can make one with a plastic freezer bag with the corner cut off) to pipe mounds (1 inch wide) onto the lined cookie sheet.

6. Put the cookie sheets in the 300°F oven, close the door. Wait for one minute only, then turn the oven OFF. Do not open the door for another 3 hours. You can leave them in the oven overnight. The meringues will gently cook in the residual heat of the oven. When done, the meringues will be lightly crisp on the outside and light and airy on the inside. If they are still a little chewy after 3 hours, just let them dry out for a few more hours.

Calories: 16, Carb: 3, Fat: 0, Protein: 0, Fiber: 0

Replies

• These sound way too good to be true....lol. Yummy!!
  • apeecaleb
    apeecaleb Posts: 58 Member
    These sound fabulous, thanks for sharing;-)
  • Yes please!

Im gonna twerk me a recipe tomorrow! Couple things I have to change but im excited.
  • ps How is it 16 cal and 3g carb w/ 2 cups of sugar, chocolate chips(optional) and candy canes. Even the sugar free chip and candy canes are little more than that. Just curious.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    sounds yummy. About how many eggs does it take to get 1.5 cups of whites?
  • eksb
    eksb Posts: 93
    Yum!
  • sleepytexan
    ps How is it 16 cal and 3g carb w/ 2 cups of sugar, chocolate chips(optional) and candy canes. Even the sugar free chip and candy canes are little more than that. Just curious.

bc it makes 146 cookies. I entered the recipe here on MFP.
  • sleepytexan
    I forgot to point out this recipe makes 146 (1-inch) COOKIES!!! (that's why they are 16 cal each).
  • Bump
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    My mother made these for Christmas for us kids. They are my favorite! My brothers and I called them toothpaste cookies. These are definitely on my Christmas goody list every year.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Oh, man, my piano teacher used to make meringue cookies with mini choco chips in them for our recitals. These are the bomb. With or without peppermint sticks. :} But they're addictive, so trying to have just one or two would be so hard for me. >.<
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    bump
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    One thing you have to remember is when a recipe makes a large quantity and the carbs or protein come up as 0 that only means for 1 serving. If you were to eat more than one serving, then you would need to reevaluate it. My Fitness Pal only will give you a count if the total is over 1. if you are using 1 1/2 cups egg whites and the chocolate, there is plenty of protein in there, but the portion size is showing 0 for the protein.