Running for weight Loss

Options
I see so many people enjoy running, I see they make contestants run on shows like The Biggest Loser even when they are still overweight, Myself I weigh 300lbs I am a severe asthmatic mostly bought on by vigorous exercise, I have never ran myself but for some weird reason I want to run when I have lost enough weight to do so I would love to try.
What experiences have people had and at what weight did you find it possible to do so and did it help with weight loss, and have some people tried and didn't enjoy it and why?

Replies

• lo89ol
    lo89ol Posts: 59
    Options
    I haven't been able to run as many others are able to yet. However, I have just begun jogging intervals. Like you , I started at around 300 lbs and all I was able to do is walk. I started off slow and slowly built up both my distance and speed. I've been exercising consistently now for a little over a month and was just able to begin these interval jogs now (in week 5 of my journey) and after having lost almost 20lbs.

Take your time though and build up to it; that's the best way to go. The people on those shows are being closely watched not only by trainers, but by doctors as well. Without someone to watch over you, you just need to do what your comfortable with at a pace that you are comfortable with.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I would start off slowly due to the starting weight. You can even go on the treadmill since it's easier on the knees and walk. Don't start out too fast because it's going to discourage you from moving on if you get too tired too fast. I have lost 40lbs just by running and it's pretty effective.
  • travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I used to run a lot before I had my son and gained a lot of weight, and stopped working out. So, when I got back into running I weighed in at 228 pounds. It was not easy, but I am building up gradually. Today I ran for 20 minutes straight, walked for four minutes, and then ran for another 5. I will weigh myself tomorrow, but I am probably still in the 220 range. But, I have to say that I enjoy running much more for clearing my head and stress relief than anything else. In fact, I told my husband tonight that I have not been this elated in years. I attribute it all to running.

I hope you can get into it, and if not, I hope you find something that you do love, because that is the key!

Sarah
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are very determined to try running :) I started running at 199 pounds last February. I am now at 155 pounds and nearly to my goal weight. I attribute much of my weight loss to running, but I have continued running because I love it, not just because it helps me maintain my weight. Running is easier for me now that I am a healthy weight, but if you start slowly and carefully no reason you cannot run...unless the severe asthma is too much of an issue. That would definitely be something to discuss with your doctor. If you decide to try running--start with walking 15-20 minutes at a time...build up to a fast walk, 30 minutes at a time...then insert a very short jogging interval (my friend calls this "wogging") of 30 seconds or so...try that every few minutes. You can check into many starter programs like Couch to 5k or Jeff Galloway's walk/run programs. Make sure you have proper shoes and that you don't go too fast, too far, or build mileage too quickly. Don't run every day, make sure you take a rest day in between workouts. Good luck!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    First things first - go see your doctor and ask him/her for the all clear before starting a running programme. Especially with your asthma you don't want to risk injuring yourself or worse.

If you do decide to start running I suggest the Couch to 5k programme. I did it myself and now I can run for 35 minutes non stop. I still weigh 111kg (244.2 lbs) and I have no problems with it.

Basically you run for a certain distance or time (1 minute) then you walk for a bit then you run. You do it three times a week and each week you run for a little longer and walk for a little less.

I used an iPhone app called "Get Running". It's a time based programme instead of being distance based. The app will tell you when to walk and when to run with a pleasant voice over. It even tells you that you're doing great :)

The trick with starting running is to not run too fast at first. Focus on endurance. Jog as slow as you can and just do it for the amount of time. Once you're running for 30 minutes non stop and you're comfortable with it then focus on distance and speed. Right now I run 5k and am trying to get it down to half an hour. The more fat I lose the fast I'll be so I'm not forcing myself progress too fast.

Edit: as previous posts have said get proper running shoes. They have to be made for running.

Also if you get shin splints or knee pain then see a podiatrist and they'll see whether you have pronating feet (where they roll inwards or outwards) and they'll make you inserts for your shoes that make your legs align properly.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i was 251 pounds, now i'm 220. i rode my bike a lot in the beginning, while stricltly watching what i ate. i didn't really stop eating any particular thing, i just stopped eating as much. portion control was my thing.

back to biking. i was putting a lot of miles on my bike. it was great because its an excellent cardio work out, easy on the joints, and you can go further and for longer then running. just keep the gears spinning, don't coast.

one day it was rainy out, and i wanted to get a work out in, but hadn't riden in the rain before. so i decided to go for a run. i haden't run in years, but i figured if i didn't feel good after 5 minutes, i'd turn around and head home. 30 minutes later i had run about 2 miles.

now i run at a great pace. i recently ran a 5 mile turkey trot in 44.50, making it a steady 8:58 minute mile. i know i can also do a short 2 mile run in about 17 minutes, making that an 8.30 minute mile.

but if i could go back and tell myself one thing, it would be not to neglect strength training. it needs to be done. even body weight routines are excellent way to build strength while simultaneously trimming the fat.
  • angelbeville
    Options
    You can do it, just slowly, like all the previous posters have said. When I started on the treadmill, I was nearly 300 lbs myself, with asthma, but only borderline. However I'd recently spent two weeks in the hospital with double pneumonia, which left me weak and even more out of shape than ever. To say I walked slow would be an understatement!

I walked slow, but I did it consistently. As I got stronger and healthier, my body told me when I could go faster. And eventually my body said "I want to run." Who would have thought that? So run I did. 30 seconds at first. Run, walk, run, walk. Then a whole minute, then three...

I started in March, and completed my first 5K in September. I'm not fast, but I finish!

Be careful on the treadmill. They tend to make you overstride and land on your heels, which is bad for your knees. Try to land on your midfoot and push off with your forefoot. Go to a speciality running store and get fitted for shoes. Very important! Everyone's foot and motion is different. The right shoe will help prevent injury and help you with your walking/running.

Good luck!
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have always hated running and was never able to run any distance, even when I was in my late teens, in amazing shape and very active. I decided when I started my weight loss journey that I was going to make it one of my goals to be able to run a 5k. I started by walking 1/4 of a mile on a treadmill, then slowly running 1/4 of a mile. I would try to get in a full mile of walking and running, but it I really struggled to do it. I kept at it for a little while and finally was able to run a full mile without stopping. It was such a great feeling.

Last weekend, I participated in my first 5k. I "knew" I wasn't ready for it, but my daughter needed a running buddy because one of her clubs at school was participating in it to raise money for a charity. I hoped to make it at least half way through it running and I was going to be ok with walking the rest of the way. Well, I pushed myself and I made it the whole way! I honestly feel that running has really helped me with my weight loss and I am pumped to take part in my next 5k!
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    I'm trying to get into running. I just run at a pace that is comfortable for as long as I can. Last time I did a 3rd of a mile. Hopefully i can work that up to a few miles a day.
  • angelbeville
    Options
    Forgot to add - check with your doctor since you have asthma. You'll probably okay if you use your bronchodilator before you exercise, to open things up.
  • mccrockl
    mccrockl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was one of those that tried to get into it and pushed hard and ended up hurting myself. I ended up having to have physical therapy on my hip (and walked around like I was 90 years old instead of just 26.) Anyway, other people have told you to start slow and I would just reiterate that. My doctor told me that when I restart jogging to start with a short distance, maybe a fourth of a mile (maybe even less), but then only increase it by 10% per week so that my body can build up to the longer distances.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I cannot run on the treadmill. I am NOT coordinated enough. I started at about 314 lbs, I think. I just went outside and speed walked 5 minutes, then tried to jog a block, walk 2 then jog one and so on. I am still working on it. Down to 290 and i try to train everyday. I am going to run a 5k in March for my 35th b-day. The main thing is to push yourself, at least a little each day. The first week I could not regulate my breathing, the second i was able to run for a total of 4 minutes and able to mostly breathe while doing so. It is getting really cold so I joined a gym and have been doing a 5k on the elliptical almost every day to build up my endurance and my knees. Waiting on my new running shoes to come in and then I will try to run more. The elliptical is a very low impact but strength building machine. It is not easy. I have always wanted to run so I will be doing it. my body will support me provided I give it time to adjust to the changes and never give up. You can do it too..
  • venom74799
    Options
    I started at 286 and huffed my butt off just jogging 1/2 a mile. It took time with switch between walking and jogging but after a while I could do 2 miles a day. After about 3 months and 45 lbs gone I added running for 10 seconds every 1/4 mile and every week increase it by 5 seconds to adjust to running. Now i can run about 1 1/2 miles without tapping and weight 186 currently. Just take your time and adjust slowly. Try a treadmill if you have to in order to help out, but most importantly, stick to a good diet. It's the true way to getting it off.
  • venom74799
    Options
    I started at 286 and huffed my butt off just jogging 1/2 a mile. It took time with switch between walking and jogging but after a while I could do 2 miles a day. After about 3 months and 45 lbs gone I added running for 10 seconds every 1/4 mile and every week increase it by 5 seconds to adjust to running. Now i can run about 1 1/2 miles without tapping and weight 186 currently. Just take your time and adjust slowly. Try a treadmill if you have to in order to help out, but most importantly, stick to a good diet. It's the true way to getting it off.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I started running at 258 lbs by using Couch 2 5K and have been running ever since!

Edited to add: I can now run over 5 miles and still working on upping my mileage.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I started on the treadmill but switched to running outside instead. I love it so much more than being on the treadmill!
  • camillehardeman
    Options
    Running, to me, is the absolute best form of cardio. Start slow, and slowly build up as it gets to easy (it actually will!).
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I was told by someone on here that you don't have to be "Little" enough to run, just start doing it. I'm starting this week the Couch to 5k. I hear nothing but amazing things about it, so time for me to stop wondering and just do it. I've never been a runner either, but I can't wait to say I am now a runner.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, I run about 3 miles a day 5 days a week and don't really enjoy it. But I know it's good for my heart and burns a good amount of calories.
    I don't like running on a treadmill though. I'd rather run outdoors even if it's cold.

But I don't rely on running as my "go to" for weight loss. I rely more on calorie deficit and heavy weight training. I run so I can eat more!

Also running for long durations can be catabolic to lean muscle tissue, so try not to go over an hour without at least carbing up sometime during your run.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I started weight loss at 292 lbs with running and a 500 calorie deficit. It worked well. I lost 70 lbs with running and a deficit alone. Maybe 8 months worth.