Goal weight reached!!!! How many claories now

Options
I'm 42 my goal was 185 lbs, I will hit that tomorrow. I was 302 in Jan and 275 in June. I have looked around and the calorie intake to maintain is 1700 to 2300 per day with no exercise. So I need help figuring this out, dont want to gain any at this time. I will add weight, but from muscle not the too many calories weight.

Thanks for your help

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Click on 'my home' at the top of the site, then click on 'goals' right under that, look down and click 'change goals', choose the guided option and then change your goal to maintenance. That will reset your calorie goal to a level which should help you maintain your weight. Try it out for a couple off weeks and see if it's getting the job done, and if you find that you are actually gaining or losing instead of maintaining, come back and ask for advice and some of the awesome people will help you decide how to tweak it. :-)

Congrats on reaching your goal!
  • cakebarn
    cakebarn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Congratulations!!!
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I let MFP do the calorie reset but I went from 1200 to 2100 and it scares the crap out of me because I'm afriad I'll gain back. And that's sooo many calories to eat in one day. I tried it Friday and was way too full I was almost sick. Should I stick with the MFP setting or change it?
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Just eat more calorie dense foods, seperate it out throughout your day, and stop when you are SATISFIED!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I let MFP do the calorie reset but I went from 1200 to 2100 and it scares the crap out of me because I'm afriad I'll gain back. And that's sooo many calories to eat in one day. I tried it Friday and was way too full I was almost sick. Should I stick with the MFP setting or change it?

If its freaking you out to bump it up that fast, try bumping it up only like 100-200 at a time, every few days add a little more. Might be more manageable to ease into the new goal. :-)
  • tonyamc1234
    Options
    congrats!!! i know you are very proud of yourself!
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try eating 1700 Monday thru Friday and 2300 on the weekends! Your body will let you know what is right for you!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    reset your goals to maintenance - GREAT JOB!!!!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Good work mate! I'm glad you're still focused and are figuring out what you need to do to maintain your weight :)
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've been under 1200 a lot of days, too. I'd set it to 1500 and try to get as close to that as possible. Then see if you gain or lose over the next month. Theoretically you could look at the rate you lost the weight to know for sure what your baseline activity level is if you knew how many calories you net under or over goal for that period, but I've never been able to get that to work.
  • naturerunner
    Options
    I have days where I am no where close to eating the amount of calories it says I need. If you aren't hungry, don't over eat. Your body will tell you what you need, just stay hydrated and eat healthy foods. i would guess around the 1800 calorie mark would be a safe amount, but time will tell. Just keep trying! way to go on your loss! :)
  • ksoria9
    Options
    Mfp subtracts calories for us to lose weight so when you go back to maintaince it gives you them back so you don't keep on losing weight. You'll be ok. And congrats on finishing your journey
  • cthoma70
    Options
    I lost 118 pounds since Jan (302) and In June I was 275. So I lost the weight pretty quickly. I have been at 1200 per since early June, so a very long time. I do have a day of the week I eat out with friends and my calories went over 1200 on a lot of those days. I want to maintain close to 185, I look wierd, big saggy belly and little bitty arms lol. So I'm starting a gym membership on Monday doing weights and I'm going to start 10 minute Trainer twice a day tomorrow. I'm doing the one that has a lot of arbs in the week. How do I count that into the dairy? I set my goals to 1500 today but thought maybe MFP may be right so I reset to 2100. I will decrease this to 1700 tomorrow and see whats. Anymore ideas on this would be awesome

Thanks all for the grats and the help thank you very much

Former fat guy :happy:
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    Well, Congrats on your accomplishment. I'm 38 and I reached my goal a few months ago. Start off slowly to balance out your calorie intake. If you need to increase calories to maintain, go slowly by increasing each day. Keep working out. You'll know how many calories you'll need. For me, it's about 2200. But I also workout more now, then when I was trying to lose the weight. I"m addicted to running. I burn about 1000 calories 4 days a week and about 400 to 600 one or two more days a week. So along with the workouts, I'll consume about 2800.
  • cthoma70
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm still at 1700 but I now workout with 10 Minute Trainer twice a day and walk/run several times a weeks. I do eat my workout calories and if I gain for a slip I do eat my workout calories and drop a little below 1700.