Symptoms but no period (ladies only)

Options
Last week was my 'PMT week', choccy cravings kicked in as usual, some stomach cramps yesterday morning was expecting them to start..had to take some painkillers and go out so didn't pay much attention yesterday. this morning woke up to cramping again, some of the water has started coming off but no actual period??

This has never happened to me before!

Only thing I done different is I had read we have naturally higher metabolism the week before our period starts so had been exercising everyday 2-3 hours burning between 600-800, think I managed a 1,000 the day I did three sessions.. In hope that once water came off this next week I would have also lost several more pounds with it.

Could it be all the exercise that's caused this? I eat more this week so my calories have been well over 1200 daily for this week as I get chocolate cravings (ate an entire Lindt reindeer yesterday, 2 brandy & cokes, and chilli wrap and chips but burned 700 extra calories playing on Wii for a few hours).

Wondering if I've just delayed it or it's not going to come at all, it's usually nearly finishing when water is starting to come off.

Thanks

Replies

• zendarah
    zendarah Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Any chance of pregnancy?
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    No..I forgot to say that...definitely not pregnant!

I am 42 and they have been getting much lighter recently over this year, especially since dieting in June so wasn't sure if it was the diet or peri-menopause? Or just that fibroids had shrunk from the weight loss - 2 stone lost in 5 months (28lbs)
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me before, I've had cycles between 18 and 35 days with no obvious reason why it would suddenly vary so much. I wouldn't worry too much, the flow will start and probably next month things will go back to normal. My average is about 26 days and it's usually normal. I don't think there's any link between diet and your normal cycle unless you're starving yourself or exercising like you are training for the Olympics.
  • lururu
    lururu Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the same thing, I had a week or more of syptoms, bad stomach, feeling really grumpy, tired and craving chocolate but on the day it was supoosed to start there was nothing, there was nothing for the next 5 days either. I really panicked and was considering buying a pregnancy test (I know I couldn't handle 3 babies!!!) but it eventually started, upsettingly on my day trip to London - Bah! It has been a bit off and on since then and I lost weight last week but I think it has come back on now - poo!
    I was wondering if it was the exercise too as I have been doing a bit more than usual but maybe its something to do with the moon? I know that some folk believe we get affected by stuff like that? Right now thats all I can think of :P

Sorry I couldn't be more help but I thought you would like to know that someone else has suffered this too?
  • shakybabe
    Options
    I definitely haven't been starving this week..lol..unless you consider chilli wrap, chips, Lindt reindeer starving (plus breakfast and lunch I should add).. I have exercised more this last week than I usually do.. 2-3 times a day instead of once..I was hoping I'd get a big drop once water went off and get me down nearer to 10st for Xmas.(I'd reached 10st 7 before the water went on last week).

The cramps are bad this morning so by all accounts I should be in the first few heavy days..I won't exercise today..I only have dog to walk but use a mobility scooter anyway for that to get over playing fields.

I'll wait to see if it starts later today or tomorrow if I cut the exercise for a few days.

Thanks.
  • lururu
    lururu Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have found that exercise really helps me with the TOM symptooms (when its not being strange) btw :)
  • shakybabe
    Options
    @LuruRu: never considered the moon as a cause!

But it's nice to know I'm not the only one..I'll hang on and see if starts later..next month I won't exercise as much PMT week and see if it arrives on time.

My doggy is nagging me to getup (still in bed on iPad,,lol) ..so I'll go take her for her daily jog around the village! :happy: And find some sedentary jobs like wrapping the rest of the Xmas pressies to go under the tree tomorrow! :wink:
  • OutiR
    OutiR Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Can it be caused by your birth control method? Since I started my new pills with Norethisterone about 6 months ago, I have had only 1 almost normal period, other months just a hint of symptomps (slight cramps, headache) at the time they should have started. I don't mind, not a huge fan of dropping extensively blood as long as not pregnant! ;-)
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about it, how about visiting a gyno? Would get you the best answers.
    Personally, my period is usually like clockwork- 28-30 day cycle. For the past 2 months it's been about 33 days, but so long as it arrives, I'm ok with that.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    happened to me, i think i was exercising a lot and not eating enough and my body just sort of spazzed out, i had the symptoms but nothing for ages.. my cycle has gone from 30 days to 45 days i think
  • SCOUSERWENCH
    SCOUSERWENCH Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Change of diet,Stress, Thyroid issues can cause irregular periods.
  • mommy_2a_sweety_pi
    Options
    I've forgotten what it's like to have a period... I was pregnant Sept 2010, MC Nov 2010, PG again Jan 2011, delivered Oct 2011, still exclusively breastfeeding, and still no period.

Anyways. There are a lot of factors that could cause changes in a cycle. Stress is a big one. I used to have normal cycles, 32-35 days like clockwork. Throw in some stress and BAM 18-50 day cycle. Your period is triggered by hormones. Hormones can fluctuate due to changes in your life (exercise can cause those changes, too). You said you are 42 - could be 'the change.' My mother is experiencing this right now, she is 49. Hers just stopped coming all together, but she still would get symptoms of a period monthly, as though she were still expecting one.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    thanks guys.

I'll see if it arrives this next week, I did push my body to do way more exercise than I usually manage this last week as was hoping it my metabolism was naturally higher this week I would have burned loads extra and drop an extra 4-5lb maybe (besides water) .. in a last minute bid to get nearer to 10st for xmas!

I'll see what happens... next month I won't exercise as intensely this week just to see if it arrives on time again if I don't.. then I'd know what it was.

I did have big fibroid when I was overweight and it was thought it was pressing on my bladder, last year I daren't go out without Tena pants on (I'm embarrassed to admit :embarassed: ) just in case I didn't make it to an adapted toilet in time! .. since I've lost weight.. this year when went xmas shopping I never thought about it. .. even after we stopped for food and drink I didn't rush to bathroom as soon as we passed near one!.. lasted another hour and half shopping and just went to one near exit before we got back in car (as was about another hours drive home). I don't know if fibroids shrinking would affect monthlies? .. though they were on time last month.

Anyway I'll hang on a week and see it it turns up.. lol!.. maybe my body's decided to take a break for xmas! :laugh:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I did ask my gyn about this a few years ago when I did the same thing while on a very restrictive diet and dropped 40 pounds in 6 weeks. She told me that the excess hormones in women are stored in the fat. When you drop a lot of weight in a short amount of time those hormones are released back into the system and can cause some fluctuations. My cycle was back to normal in about 3 months.

Since your cysts also cause fluctutations in your hormones, and if they did shrink, that might cause some issues. Since you do have the cysts I would suggest a short visit to the doc just to make sure.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    Still waiting for monthlies to start, got stomach cramps.. had them two days but still haven't started and still holding the water weight! :o(

I'm annoyed about that as I have weigh-in tomorrow for Dec lose 5lbs a month challenge and I was hoping to have dropped the additional water plus an additional 2lb and made it to '30lbs lost' this week.

I think I definitely went a bit mad with the exercise last week like 2-3 times a day 600-1,000 extra cals burned) as holding water from that too so the water weight is like it used to be when I ate loads of carbs. ,, though my scale is fluctuating from 10st 5 - 11st 3 when I tried just before I put PJ's on, so given up and retired to bed with hot water bottle and painkillers for the cramps... hoping they arrive soon so can get rid of the water weight.

I'll try on the wii fit quick weigh tomorrow morning and see what weight that one gives me as its usually the same as the digital scale.

If I don't get one in January after not exercising PMT week I'll have to make an appointment with doctor, but maybe like you say about hormones in fat cells, dunno if 2 stone loss (28lbs) since June would be a big enough loss to trigger that? (though they were normal last month when I didn't exercise as excessively the week before they were due!)

Thanks