New here and my MFP Goals?

Options
I started MFP on Thursday. That day, MFP set my calorie goal at 1,836. The next day, MFP set my calorie goal at 1,529. Saturday it was set at 1200 and today it's at 1200. I'm wondering if 1200 calories a day is enough. I set my weight loss goal about 5 lbs under what I really wanted to lose and I also exercise moderately 5 days a week. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't mind but I took a look at your diary. The days that your goal calories were higher were days you worked out. MFP incorporates the calories you burn while working out into your daily calories. I don't know if 1200 calories is sufficiient for you or not - if you are hungry, light headed, tired then it is most likely is not. I know that more days than not I use some (I shoot for about 1/2) of my 'earned' calories so my numbers end up being between 1300 - 1600. Good luck to you in this journey!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low; make sure your setting is at 1lb of weight lost per week.

That's the best, safest approach, requiring a 500 calorie deficit each day to accomplish. Don't be one of those guys trying to lose 5 lbs a week or some other such tomfoolery. Those folks lost fast, then gain it all back.

They'll be fat all their lives.

See that you're on an exercise program of cardio and resistance, and have fun! You can do this - good luck!
  • scar47
    scar47 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks cherrieruns, I didn't know that it was adjusted. That helps a lot.
  • scar47
    Options
    Thanks BobbyClerici, I set my weight loss at 2 lbs per week.
  • scar47
    Options
    On a side note, the second day, I adjusted my exercise time down. I think MFP gives too many calories for exercise.
  • mlh29
    mlh29 Posts: 40
    Options
    I have been playing the cal/ exercise games here as well. I would like to say that if your calories are changing by your exercise than you are probably adding the exercise to your daily activity set. ex sedentary but saying active a s you hit the gym..
    This will fool the calculators here.. best to set your lifestyle and then ad the exercise to exercise area...
    Good luck in your goals..
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I started MFP on Thursday. That day, MFP set my calorie goal at 1,836. The next day, MFP set my calorie goal at 1,529. Saturday it was set at 1200 and today it's at 1200. I'm wondering if 1200 calories a day is enough. I set my weight loss goal about 5 lbs under what I really wanted to lose and I also exercise moderately 5 days a week. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1200 is not a good goal.
    Unless you sit on the couch all day!