Breakfast

Options
I am a stay at home mom. I get up usually take my husband to work, come home feed change play with our son. And then I eat breakfast around 10-11am. I usually still eat lunch around 2pm and dinner around 6pm...I have heard that you need to eat right when you wake up, but really I don't like that. I don't want to hamper my weight loss by not eating "right when I wake up" do you guys think it really makes a difference?

Replies

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I would try to get something in your stomach fairly soon within waking, even if it's just a nutrigrain bar or something. Just to get your body burning for the day. Just something to get your metabolism going.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would try to get something in your stomach fairly soon within waking, even if it's just a nutrigrain bar or something. Just to get your body burning for the day. Just something to get your metabolism going.

Meal timing is irrelevant in terms of metabolic effect. The thermic effect of food is dependent on calorie intake (macronutrient composition will have a small effect) and not frequency or timing. The above quote is basically a myth.

You should structure the timing of your nutrients around personal preference and gym performance. Disregard the rest.
  • cgrout78
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-eat-breakfast

I think it more depends on when you eat least...you shouldn't be going 12-16 hours without food.
  • shmo1969
    shmo1969 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I say eat when you are hungry!! You are including at least 3 meals a day, and as long as you are not waiting too long and making wrong choices because you get "too hungry" then I say you are doing just GREAT. :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've heard that eating as soon as you wake up is a good idea and I've heard it doesn't matter when you eat after waking. As with anything - you'll get many different answers as to what is "right".

I say go with what works for YOU. If you don't feel like eating til you've been up for a couple hours, then don't. No use making yourself not feel well simply to put food in your body. If you would rather eat upon waking, then do that.

Honestly. I think it is all a personal preference.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    I say eat when you are hungry!! You are including at least 3 meals a day, and as long as you are not waiting too long and making wrong choices because you get "too hungry" then I say you are doing just GREAT. :)

Agreed. Waiting too long to eat can often lead to binge eating because your blood sugar is so low and your body NEEDS FOOD NOW. So, you'll grab whatever sounds good (for most people it is something sugary and sweet since your body wants the blood sugar levels to come up).
  • Sidesteal
    Options

I think it more depends on when you eat least...you shouldn't be going 12-16 hours without food.

If you would like I will dig up studies to refute the above. If you'll actually read them, that is. Also, your claim about lack of food is also incorrect. See www.leangains.com for anecdotal examples and Martin also has studies on his site in regards to this.

You can go a good 48+ hours without food before suffering any ill effects from a metabolic standpoint.
  • cgrout78
    Options

If you would like I will dig up studies to refute the above. If you'll actually read them, that is. Also, your claim about lack of food is also incorrect. See www.leangains.com for anecdotal examples and Martin also has studies on his site in regards to this.

You can go a good 48+ hours without food before suffering any ill effects from a metabolic standpoint.

I'm not sure what I said that would give you the impression that I wouldn't read them. As someone else said though, for every study that says you have to, there's a study that says you don't have to. My doctor and my trainer told me that I should have something in my stomach within in hour of waking up. If someone is seriously opposed to that at it doesn't hurt them, by all means, go for 24-48 hours without eating.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

I'm not sure what I said that would give you the impression that I wouldn't read them. As someone else said though, for every study that says you have to, there's a study that says you don't have to. My doctor and my trainer told me that I should have something in my stomach within in hour of waking up. If someone is seriously opposed to that at it doesn't hurt them, by all means, go for 24-48 hours without eating.

I was being presumptuous. I apologize for that, that was rude of me.

Also, website article =/= peer reviewed research. Additionally, the whole "eat to boost your metabolism" thing is a myth that is just recently being refuted (a few years) so you're going to find a lot of (crappy) articles that suggest eating frequently and eating breakfast.

EDIT: Let me clarify -- I don't think breakfast is bad by any means. If you like breakfast, EAT IT. My whole point of this is that people are already operating on a number of restrictions on their diet and to think that the frequency or timing of your meals is a restriction you have to abide by, is just adding another item to the list of things you think you need to do. It's best to eliminate all the crap that doesn't matter from this list, in the name of convenience. This is why I'm "arguing" this point. It's so that people don't add unneccessary (sp) restrictions to an already complicated endeavor.

You can start here:
    Study 1: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745
    Study 2: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1550038
    Study 3: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9040548
    Study 4: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17483007
    Study 5: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

Eating breakfast may change behaviors and for that reason, obviously you should consider those effects.

In comparing isocaloric intakes however, breakfast is irrelevant.
  • chevy88grl
    Options

I was being presumptuous. I apologize for that, that was rude of me.

Also, website article =/= peer reviewed research. Additionally, the whole "eat to boost your metabolism" thing is a myth that is just recently being refuted (a few years) so you're going to find a lot of (crappy) articles that suggest eating frequently and eating breakfast.

EDIT: Let me clarify -- I don't think breakfast is bad by any means. If you like breakfast, EAT IT. My whole point of this is that people are already operating on a number of restrictions on their diet and to think that the frequency or timing of your meals is a restriction you have to abide by, is just adding another item to the list of things you think you need to do. It's best to eliminate all the crap that doesn't matter from this list, in the name of convenience. This is why I'm "arguing" this point. It's so that people don't add unneccessary (sp) restrictions to an already complicated endeavor.

You can start here:
    Study 1: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745
    Study 2: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1550038
    Study 3: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9040548
    Study 4: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17483007
    Study 5: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

Eating breakfast may change behaviors and for that reason, obviously you should consider those effects.

In comparing isocaloric intakes however, breakfast is irrelevant.

I used to always skip breakfast and would binge and binge and binge later in the day. I still don't much care for eating when I wake up, but I've found it helps to keep my blood sugar level (same as eating every couple hours does for me - regardless if it affects my metabolism or not). When I eat a good breakfast, eat every couple hours and am consistent with it - I don't binge eat. But, when I get lazy about eating breakfast or about eating every couple hours, I start to get horrible sugar cravings and tend to go on a mindless binge fest.

For me, it isn't about how it affects my metabolism or whatever - it is how it affects my choices. That's why I eat when I get up (I would rather not do it - but I know that is a recipe for disaster for me).

I truly believe it is all about a personal preference.
  • cgrout78
    Options
    I can appreciate what you're saying and doing in trying to prevent people from feeling like there are more rules to follow. AND I appreciate you pointing out the fallacy of past studies and articles.

If the OP feels fine by eating a later breakfast that's great, and if it doesn't make them eat more later or less positive food choices that's awesome. If I skip breakfast, by the time I eat I'll eat anything and everything in sight, kind of like going to the grocery store hungry.

That's the one thing about weight loss, there is no "one size fits all". I do need to eat right away or I feel sluggish and can't really focus on anything and don't have the energy to do much, apparently that's not an issue for other people, but everyone is different :)
  • Sidesteal
    Options

I truly believe it is all about a personal preference.

I agree with everything you just wrote and especially the above.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I can appreciate what you're saying and doing in trying to prevent people from feeling like there are more rules to follow. AND I appreciate you pointing out the fallacy of past studies and articles.

If the OP feels fine by eating a later breakfast that's great, and if it doesn't make them eat more later or less positive food choices that's awesome. If I skip breakfast, by the time I eat I'll eat anything and everything in sight, kind of like going to the grocery store hungry.

That's the one thing about weight loss, there is no "one size fits all". I do need to eat right away or I feel sluggish and can't really focus on anything and don't have the energy to do much, apparently that's not an issue for other people, but everyone is different :)

^ Definitely agree.
  • chevy88grl
    Options

This is why I dislike when personal trainers try and give out "one size fits all" advice (and I've heard a lot of trainers that do this - not all mind you, but a lot of them). Everyone's body isn't the same (sure, they function in the same basic way - but they are different). What works for me and makes my body happy may not work for you or make your body happy. The key is learning what works for YOU and not worrying about what everyone is doing for their body.

It just bothers me to see people (especially trainers) handing out advice such as "Low carb is best!" or "eating within an hour is crucial" to everyone when in reality -- those things may NOT work for the person they're offering the advice to. I hate to see people rely too much on someone else's advice on what works for THEM. I truly feel the key to success in this journey is learning what YOUR body wants. Don't listen to anyone else - listen to your body. If something isn't working - don't be scared to change it. Too many people are "scared" to change something even when they feel it doesn't work for them and this often leads to frustration and people deciding it is easier to just quit.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I almost never eat breakfast and maybe I should but I'd rather have an extra 15 minutes in bed. Anyway yeah I never eat it and so far I'm losing weight steadily like MFP is predicting. Everyone is different, but if what you're doing so far is working for you don't feel like you should change and eat earlier just because everyone else does.
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi All

There is a simple formula to weight loss:-

Calories in = less that Calories used

So using this formula which is tried and tested the following would all be true:-

(Starting with the assumption that your BMR is 2500 calories in a 24 hour period and you want to lose 2 lbs a week then you need to have a deficit of 7000 calories a week)

1) Eat 6 meals a day (equalling 1500 calories)
    2) Eat 3 meals a day (equalling 1500 calories)
    3) Eat 1 meal a day (equalling 1500 calories)

Also effective would be

1) Eat low carb (1500 calories from protein and fats)
    2) Eat Low fat (1500 calories from protein and Carbs)
    3) Eat a balanced diet (1500 calories from a good mix of all micronutrients)
    4) Eat one huge McDonalds a day

I could go on with the exercise or not exercise debate, when to eat and not eat, the water debate... etc but this post would get very long...

Now don’t get me wrong there are lots of health issues with some of the above options and I would not recommend some as good ways to lose weight and most importantly get fitter and healthier... but if you read all the advice on here and on the net and talk to others who are there to help you (Personal trainer, medical professionals, nutritionlists etc...) your head would spin and you would be too scared to do anything or even to know what is best for you....

Most of us have got to the unhealthy weights we have by not listening or not knowing how to listen to our bodies and for me this has been the key breakthrough....

My plan :-

1200 calories a day (I sometimes go a little under or over +/- 100 cals) on days where I am going out, seeing friends or if work gets in the way I make sure I stay under my BMR for the day and never let myself feel guilty (this is key)

I exercise 3-6 times a week averaging 500 cals burn.... I work with a PT who is a functional trainer and listens and talks to me alot.... my other sessions I mix us cardio and resistance (also making sure I vary the cardio (classes, running gym sessions) – I NEVER eat back my exercise cals...

I eat what I want when I want - I aim for 80% good healthy foods the rest I treat myself too (inc chocolate – I am a woman after all) I have changed my micronutrients to 40% Protein 40% Carbs 20% healthy fats.... (this is an ideal and I don’t get hung up on it)

I drink loads of water and take no supplements...

My results are 93lbs lost in 8 months, I have more energy, am stronger, fitter and am in training for the Warrior dash and a Triathlon next year...

Now this has worked for me but would not be a plan I would recommend it took me trial and error to get it right but it is a plan I can live with which is key.

THE ONLY UNIVERSAL TRUTH IS THAT YOU NEED TO LEARN TO LISTEN TO YOUR BODY......
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Meal timing is irrelevant in terms of metabolic effect. The thermic effect of food is dependent on calorie intake (macronutrient composition will have a small effect) and not frequency or timing. The above quote is basically a myth.

You should structure the timing of your nutrients around personal preference and gym performance. Disregard the rest.

What he said !! :-)

I agree, not important when you eat in terms of diet.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Just like to chime in with Sidesteal/Chevvy. Meal timing is irrelevant. The trouble is that a lot of trainers/nutritionists etc were told things when they first trained, and even though modern science has disproved that, they don't keep up to date with research, and still keep saying the older, incorrect, stuff.

I never eat breakfast. Never have. To me, it's just wasted calories i could have later in the day when i really want them.

So, to clarify:

1) Eating breakfast is NOT an essential part of weight loss. From a biological viewpoint it offers no advantage.

2) However, it may have personal psychological effects in terms of how you eat later on in the day. This is something each person will have to trial and error.

Bottom line, if you LIKE eating breakfast, go for it! But don't force yourself to because you think it's something you SHOULD be doing.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I personally never ate breakfast for quite a few years, and started back up again, I felt a lot better throughout the day and wasn't as ravenous at lunch and supper. My rule of thumb for myself is usually breakfast within 3 hours of waking up and no food 3 hours before going to sleep, I don't ALWAYS follow this though, if I'm particularly hungry after supper, I CANNOT go to sleep with a grumbling stomach, I just end up waking up feeling weak.

Also! I should mention that I didn't used to eat breakfast because I never felt hungry, but once I started making myself eat a bit of something, I started getting hungry in the mornings and I could eat a decent meal.
  • khotch1
    khotch1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same thing. I eat about 1.5 hours after waking because I'm hungry by then and it's a good time for me to get it in. I'm not changing that just because I never could eat when my feet hit the floor.