How often to re-evaluate calorie goals?

Options
I just did my week 8 WI, down about 14lbs since Oct 16th. If I re-do my calorie goals it drops down to 1300 from the original 1395. Not a huge difference, but a difference.

What do you guys do? Do you reset it every time you WI?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    If you are still losing weight at a calorie goal that is working for you, no need to drop calories further.
  • Shine73
    Shine73 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Right, I thought that when your calorie goals were evaluated, they are geared toward your goal weight. The way I understand it is that the time to reevaluate your calorie goals will be when you reach your goal weight and want to maintain it, rather than to continue losing.
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    If you are still losing weight at a calorie goal that is working for you, no need to drop calories further.

Thanks!
  • candicejn
    Options
    Right, I thought that when your calorie goals were evaluated, they are geared toward your goal weight. The way I understand it is that the time to reevaluate your calorie goals will be when you reach your goal weight and want to maintain it, rather than to continue losing.

Oh, I know you have to re-evaluate at goal for maintenance, but I wasn't sure how often to drop calories as I lose. Thanks for the reply :)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

I agree with this. Also, once you get close to your goal weight, you will start eating closer to maintenance and maintain a lower deficit to prepare you for eating maintenance calories.
  • tena1028
    tena1028 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 the lowest? That is what I am at right now and I don't think I could go much lower. :noway:
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I re-evaluated my calorie goals when I hit my first goal weight. I say first goal because I decided to go for another 10 lb loss. I have also re-evaluated my calorie goals when I hit a plateau:explode: I have maybe changed goal calories 1-4 times in a 7 month span.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Is 1200 the lowest? That is what I am at right now and I don't think I could go much lower. :noway:

No one should go lower than 1200, and most people should eat more than 1200.
  • Elfinmajic
    Elfinmajic Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goals are originally generated based upon how many calories you need for daily function, and what your goal is to lose. If you look in the tool section at the top of the web page, you can click on the BMR. What that amount says is how many calories you'd need if you literally sat on your *kitten* for a 24 hour period based upon the information you entered. Based upon the info you entered as a goal, it calculates how many calories you'd need to consume daily reach your goal, if you still sat on your butt. It recalculates as you enter workouts in. Every time you adjust your weight at weight-ins it recalculates what you'd need automatically to keep you in line with your goals. Those numbers are only as accurate as you put data in. Every 2 lbs. that I lose, it basically keeps telling me to eat roughly 10 calories less a day to stay on track.
  • candicejn
    Options
    Thanks guys! I put it back up to 1350 and I'm going to leave it there until my weight loss slows. I do generally eat my exercise calories, as well, so I can always cut back on those if I feel like it's not working anymore.

Love this site :)
  • tena1028
    tena1028 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

No one should go lower than 1200, and most people should eat more than 1200.

That is what I thought. Just making sure. I am usually over 1200 and I am losing. Thanks!