I want to EAT, EAT, EAT!!

Options
Right now I just want to eat anything & as much as I can. I've drank xtra water, had some healthy fruits & veggies, some nuts, but I still want to eat. I'm trying to get busy doing someting, but I still want to eat. This is worse than when I quit smoking or drinking (which was 26 & 28 yrs ago ). I know if I start going over my goals, I just won't stop. Even if it's healthy. And if I eat something like choclate or a roll I'll be done. I'm glad I don't have any around. I know this will pass, but until then...........I'm miserable. Any help? What do you do? Thanks...Mike

Replies

• dodgegirl1979
    dodgegirl1979 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i dont have any advise but i am right there with you, at night is my bad time i want to eat and eat. i will walk around the house a few times and it will pass and then ill go look at the food and i am good sometimes i have to eat thou and its always cereal. i eat a small bowl and i am good. but i am always under my goal but with bad cals not good ones. sorry i just wanted to say i am with you might be the weather.
  • Bhatfield07
    Bhatfield07 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on losing 20 lbs!! That is great!
    I'm just starting out but when I quit smoking (it is working for weight loss too) and have cravings I would find something to do with my hands and to distract me. Not watching television but normally something I need to keep clean like writing (I don't eat when I write) or cross-stitching. But I've also gone for walks to get away from the food or cleaned my bathroom. I hope this helps some. Keep up the good work!
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Do you want a life style change that lasts forever? Or a temporary weight loss only to gain it all back and then some?

EAT what your craving just log and and watch your portions. and BURN IT OFF don't be so hard on yourself. we all need a treat every once in a while. Its ok

xoxo
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If you're always hungry, it COULD be your body's way of saying "HEY! We aren't getting enough fuel!" and you may want to consider upping your calories a little (even 100 can help) and see what happens. If you've done everything else to try and curb the hunger and it is still there? You aren't eating enough.

Yes, our bodies play tricks on us sometimes (telling us we are hungry when dehydrated is a big one) but sometimes? Hunger is hunger and our bodies are hungry for a reason (they aren't getting the proper nutrition). Don't always ignore the true signs of hunger.
  • fishndad
    fishndad Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I can't burn it off b/c I'm recovering from 2 surgerys in the last month & half. It will be awhile before I can start burning again........Mike
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from. I am no expert so please take my comments as just a suggestion, but to me this sounds like it is not due to hunger, this is due to food addiction.

I believe this because I too am a food addict. Sometimes I find myself eating and eating and I can't stop. I continue eating until I have the worst stomach ache and am riddled with guilt... Like you, when I feel this way, I try to distract myself. I find it works to look at the clock, wait 20 mins, and usually this feeling passes.

Like I said I am no expert, but just know you are not alone in this. One thing I do know is that the less you give in to these cravings the less cravings you will have.

Good Luck!

Alsison
  • rosered1982
    Options
    I understand you very well. I have been watching everything I eat and been doing great but all of a sudden I get this horrible cravings that get me walking around the kitchen. I love sugar, specially chocolate and it's been hard to give it up. What I do is during the day I turn the radio while I clean or cook and I dance the most that I can, no matter if I look silly but its a good way to burn some calories and it gets you thirsty too so I feel full with the water and at night I'm so tired that I go to sleep straight away.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I used to by hungry ALL THE TIME. A multivit. has helped a lot with my cravings to what I would consider normal. But a week leading up to my period (sorry guys!), my cravings are crazy, and I just feed it with healthy options. Otherwise, I can't sleep, if I don't feed it.
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Do something time consuming, read, watch tv, go outside to play, youtube videos until you just crash! Anything you can do to keep your self busy.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    More info might help us help you. We can't see your food diary, so we can't make comments on foods that might help. Generally higher protein, higher fiber will help keep you feeling full longer.
  • Tynkie
    Tynkie Posts: 20
    Options
    Do something time consuming, read, watch tv, go outside to play, youtube videos until you just crash! Anything you can do to keep your self busy.

I totally agree...I have the same issue at night where I'll walk back and forth from my room to the fridge and just sit and complain how hungry I am, but with me I know that my eyes are greedy so i'll just go read a book, do school work, search for new music to get my mind off of it and next thing you know its time to sleep :).

Don't worry, your not alone
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Right now I just want to eat anything & as much as I can. I've drank xtra water, had some healthy fruits & veggies, some nuts, but I still want to eat. I'm trying to get busy doing someting, but I still want to eat. This is worse than when I quit smoking or drinking (which was 26 & 28 yrs ago ). I know if I start going over my goals, I just won't stop. Even if it's healthy. And if I eat something like choclate or a roll I'll be done. I'm glad I don't have any around. I know this will pass, but until then...........I'm miserable. Any help? What do you do? Thanks...Mike
    Are you bored? Are you stressed over an issue? Are you nervous about something? Identifying how you feel when you're hungry is a step to controlling it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    Well, I actually feel the same way. I could eat an entire pizza probably, but what good is that going to do except sabotage my daily calorie intake. You literally have to force yourself to not keep eating. Try to eat really really slow at meal time. Let the food sit in your mouth like if you were eating candy rather than gobble it down quick.

My inspiration:

Yoda: "Do or do not... there is no try.”
    Luke: "I don't believe it!"
    Yoda: "That is why you fail."
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That was me last night and eat I did. Oh well, I enjoyed it and today is another day.
  • jenslife82
    Options
    I'm always back and forth about whether to mention this or not... I watch cooking shows when I feel the need to eat. Or look up healthy recipes for stuff that's really calorie consuming. That way I'll be planning on a meal for when it's appropriate or looking up ways to save calories so I'm not so hungry.
    My doctor told me to increase my protein consumption also (I love that she didn't stress about the fat, sugar or carbs!). I truly believed that has helped a lot! She said instead of having a whole banana for a snack to have a half of one with a tablespoon of peanut butter. It definitely satisfies me more than if I had the whole banana alone.
    I'm learning (slowly) to listen to my body. For breakfast most days I have yogurt and fruit which totals about 1&1/4 cups of food. I had a piece of pie for breakfast the day after thanksgiving (which was 300+calories for 1 slice) and was STARVING until lunch. Even with apple slices and peanut butter for snack.
    Hope I helped... and if watching cooking shows is an automatic trip to the fridge, please forget I said that! :)
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I never saw anyone (I mean nutritian or doctor) but I have this feeling sometimes: whatever I eat, I am hungry and I always want more. I call this phenomenon "bulimia crisis" (when I was a teenager, I could eat 5 balls of cereales and 1 complete bread to get this feeling out). In such case, I could have a dinner 3 minutes after I finish a complete dinner that would normally make me full. I never identified the cause, but it seems to come when I am worry about something...I do not not if this bulimina but as it is not constant, I add the word "crisis".

Now that I check my food intake, I tend to increase my metabolism by never being hungry (so that my body would not stock) and have a carrot, a banana or slice of bread whenever I am hungry. I can multiply this intake if required. I am not a fan of oatmeal (with milk) but dam, you are not hungry after this. I can have this between my meals to get proteins (I try to lose fat by making sport). I have no pleasure to eat it but that is very healthy and low in calories (and fat).

You have to find a very low calories aliment that makes you full (that you have unlimited). I opt for food that are not taste appealing, but it is not a requirement. The reason for this is that for a diet to work, it has to become your normal way to eat, for the rest of your life....and slim people are never hungry, really.

Good luck and keep us inform on your progress.
  • jenslife82
    Options

My inspiration:

Yoda: "Do or do not... there is no try.”
    Luke: "I don't believe it!"
    Yoda: "That is why you fail."
    love love love this!! what a great quote :)